AF: Wrangler Crash Test | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrangler Crash Test

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by djsamuel, May 7, 2020.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Well, much as I respect Chrysler, IIHS hasn't cheated like some outfits [Consumer Reports, moose test magazine]... I wonder if the difference is the trim level or options or something, just enough to screw up the vertical weight distribution? Or exactly where they simulate the test hitting?

It wouldn't be the first time slight difference in test methods cause big differences in outcomes.

BASONE88 and djsamuel like this.
  2. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

I don't question the intent of IIHS as well. The video is interesting. It almost looks like the protection around the driver causes the Wrangler to push laterally against the barrier causing it to roll over. It is a shame because they said the Wrangler offered good driver protection.

Deckard_Cain and Dave Z like this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I also noticed that Wrangler STILL has poor headlights according to the IIHS study.
    FCA apparently can't design quality headlights.

page2171 and djsamuel like this.
  4. djsamuel

Level 2 Supporter

That I just don't get. My PT headlights aren't bad, but pretty much every other vehicle including my 09 Ram 1500 seem to have lousy headlights. My 97 Stratus was awful. I love the cars but my biggest complaint is those headlights. They never seem to improve.

page2171 and Dave Z like this.
  5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Not just FCA, either. Lots of companies implemented LED headlights in a way that makes them worse than halogens. If you buy the top trim, you get usable headlights - sometimes. Very glad IIHS started publishing headlight tests — and including glare for other drivers in them. That is a factor in my decision of which car to buy next...

...though really that decision is defaulting to “keep my current car and complain more loudly so you can't hear the rattles and window whistle” :)

(Imperial Crown told me how to test the window, I have to do that.)

djsamuel, tomit and thebluegoat like this.
  6. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Do Wranglers not roll over?...I thought that was part of the fun with them off-road?

Shane Estabrooks and dakrt99 like this.
  7. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

Well, that looked awful. It could be that the Wrangler exposed a flaw is this asinine small overlap test. It almost looked like it deflected off the barrier. The IIHS has created a lot of fear in people with this overly severe test. What's next, cliff diving? Cars flip all the time in the real world. Just go watch the videos on youtube. The side impact is much more realistic and the Wrangler did much better there, scoring a good rating. What I also can't stand about the IIHS, is that they are now including factors other than the actually crash itself for their + rating. The IIHS are extortionist. The Wrangler is a safe car.

8. serpens

serpens Well-Known Member

The small overlap test addressed a big hole that existed in our crash testing, so I disagree. There’s nothing more realistic about a side impact. This wasn’t a targeted slam on the Wrangler and the previous generation JK passed the test just fine. This is FCA’s situation to address.

suzq044, page2171 and gforce2002 like this.
  9. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

They might roll over, but they won’t play dead.

XRT2SRT, dakrt99, page2171 and 3 others like this.
  10. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

As I recall, Norm lost one of his JK’s due to a roll over, though it was due to where he parked it. Fortunately he was able to tuck himself back inside as it rolled and he was able to ride it out safely. He posted pics of it in one of the threads. It totaled the vehicle, but it was still driveable and he had said he wished he would’ve kept it as a chase vehicle for his desert racing team IIRC. I think he was at least able to strip off most of the goodies he had installed.

11. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

I believe this is a problem with how the FMVSS regulations on lighting are worded.

LED lights have a narrower beam spread than halogen, but are superior to halogens when manufacturers are allowed to dynamically change beam direction within an array ("matrix LED lighting"), but that feature is contrary to the US regulations at present.

It really is about time that these regulations were updated to account for new technologies (same as the ones about rear lamp area versus luminous flux), although now that GM has retreated to being a US-only manufacturer, I'm sure they'd veto it... :(

djsamuel, suzq044, Dave Z and 2 others like this.
  12. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

I think you’re right, an inch either way could make a difference and unless they have a standard way of positioning the vehicle vs the barrier it brings repeated results into question. Note that the grill was not even damaged.

HotCarNut likes this.
  13. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

LESs are scored badly by IIHS because they can blind incoming traffic.

But it's all related to archaic US rules.

Dave Z and ScramFan like this.
  14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

The Wrangler LEDs has more problems than glare. Range was still bad.

15. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

It's all the same problem. LEDs are inherently narrow-beam devices, so their potential to blind oncoming traffic is greater than the wider dispersion from a filament bulb. To avoid that glare, makers operating under UNECE rules can use adaptive dimming which selectively cuts out parts of the complete beam. Under the American rules, that's not allowed, so lower intensity is the only option, which reduces range.

In any case, a process is in train to get these rules changed, so we should see the proper LED lamps at the mid-cycle update: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment (at https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/10/12/2018-21853/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standards-lamps-reflective-devices-and-associated-equipment )
    (Toyota's is the name on the proposal, but it's normal practice for one company to propose something on behalf of the whole industry)

AlfaCuda, MJAB, tlc and 2 others like this.
  16. plymouth1

plymouth1 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't stop me from getting one if I wanted one

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  17. valiant67

valiant67 ...

But yet some other manufacturers manage to get acceptable ratings on LED headlights under the US system. FCA apparently can't.

The only non-poor rating I found was the Giulia (and only certain lights).

18. Jaybob7

Jaybob7 Active Member

I would guess the roll helped the wrangler score better in this test. It looks bad, but a lot of energy ended up not getting absorbed in the barrier hit. A good amount of forward momentum was left after the hit and it was dissipated over a longer time during the roll. Prevented further intrusion into passenger space.

djsamuel, page2171 and ScramFan like this.
  19. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

I see that the Grand Cherokee (HID, not LED) gets an acceptable rating with the optional headlights. Kind of shocking because they seem pretty terrible to me.

Dave Z and valiant67 like this.