AF: Wrangler Crash Test | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrangler Crash Test

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by djsamuel, May 7, 2020.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Before you blame the rules:

There are lots of headlights with Acceptable ratings.
    These are the ones with sufficient reach (a problem with lots of automakers) AND no appreciable glare.
    It's not impossible.
    It takes time and money and skill.

2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

For those who have not been to the IIHS site, here is how they display their measurements. The top image is the Acceptable lights. Notice that you can see as far as you need to, going straight and turning right. Some cars fall REALLY short of those distances.

headlights.jpg

3. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

It is also a problem with design of the "eyes" of the car that one wants.
    The round headlights of the Wrangler are not for sure the ideal since it is not possible to have a wider source of light (most of the problem are on illumination on sides not forward.
    The glare: more concentrated (small) the surface of the source, more glare You'll have. So it necessary to have systems to adapt light. Active system are the best since they can switch or reduce power in a way to "protect" vision on the vehicles coming from opposite direction.

RAM 1500 has a wide headlight.
    "... The 2019-20 Ram 1500 crew cab is the first large pickup to earn a 2019 Top Safety Pick+ award from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Models equipped with specific headlights built after May 2019 and optional front crash prevention qualify for the award. ..."

Note: it is not for all headlights options. Guess which are the more expensive.

2019-20 Ram 1500 earns good headlight rating and Top Safety Pick+ (at https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/2019-20-ram-1500-earns-good-headlight-rating-and-top-safety-pick- )

AlfaCuda, Ryan, page2171 and 2 others like this.
  4. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

And I should add that FCA had full competence in automotive lighting thourght Automotive Lighting, a Magneti Marelli company that is supplier of many different automotive companies (Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, FCA ...).

Magneti Marelli has recently being sold to Calsonic Kansei, now Marelli.

Automotive Lighting front lighting website -> technologies.
    Frontlighting by Marelli Automotive Lighting (at https://www.al-lighting.com/technology/frontlighting/ )

MARELLI wins 2020 Automotive News PACE Award - 29 april 2020
    "h-Digi Module is the First Lighting Innovation of its Kind, Supporting Glare-Free High Beam and Image Projections on the Road"
    MARELLI News - MARELLI wins 2020 Automotive News PACE Award MARELLI (at https://www.marelli.com/marelli-wins-2020-automotive-news-pace-award/ )

Also for a Wrangler can be done a good headlight, but are the costs that go up, well at least for now.

#24 MJAB, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    T_690 and ScramFan like this.
  5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

FCA having that competence means nothing if the individuals styling and engineering the cars don't also have it... GM had excellence in hybrid powertrains through its locomotive division, but that didn't help the cars much... (okay, I know, different type of hybrid.)

When it comes down to it, you can partner with an external supplier and learn just as much as partnering with an in-house supplier. Look at Chrysler and Garrett during the 1980s; they worked together as partners and pushed the state of the art much further. There were no ownership ties.

gforce2002, page2171 and valiant67 like this.
  6. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

But, and is a big BUT, with an external supplier many things cannot be said or done.
    For example an engineer of the same company could suggest, disclose, ... more easily problems related to a certain technology, part, product or simply say that is not enough developed and could be a risk to implement it too soon.
    Same could be not possible with an external supplier because of confidentiality and similar work contracts.

Dave Z likes this.
  7. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

My dislike of USA Dot lighting goes way back, I was using ECE H-4 headlamps back in the '80s on my cars when we still had easily replaced headlamps. I used mostly Hella large rectangular units, and even have a set of European spec (ECE H-4) Mopar lamps on our '98 Grand Cherokee. The original lights on those, were just horrible! If its possible I plan to eventually retrofit a pair of 7" round ECE H4's to our '17 Wrangler.

8. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

I think the DRLs on the fender could eventually evolve into supplemental lighting sources so the round headlight design can stay.

9. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Gotta wonder if part of the reason "headlights suck anyway" is because we're driving faster and are trying to see farther ahead to adjust accordingly? Back when your stratus was made the speed limits on highways was 55. Now its up to 65, but most people go 70-80 and it's even unlimited in a few places. So yeah, that's going to make a small difference. lol

That said; i'm not arguing the testing. I think it's a good idea they start making the manufacturers make safer headlights by publishing these tests. Now if we could just make the _aftermarket_ go through these tests to be approved for production. [looking at you, person who puts LEDs and HIDs in reflector housings]

HotCarNut, Dave Z, ScramFan and 6 others like this.
  10. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

Seems like it’s always on lifted trucks too which makes it even worse.

MJAB likes this.
  11. aldo90731

The best thing is not hit anything.

tomaz and page2171 like this.
  12. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

The way they did this test would be the way a Wrangler would approach a large rock to crawl over.??

[​IMG]

It seems like they targeted the bumpers where it starts to cover the Tire instead of targeting the last 2 grill slots.

13. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

It an overlap test, if someone was to be that far over it would be more like a head-on collision at that point

14. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Small overlap crash test.
    "... barrier face is offset to the left of the vehicle centerline by25 ± 1 percent of the vehicle width.
    The vehicle width is defined and measured as indicated in Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE, 2009)Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice J1100, which states, “The maximum dimension measured between the widest part on the vehicle, excluding exterior mirrors, flexible mud flaps, and marker lamps, but including bumpers, moldings, sheet metal protrusions, or dual wheels, if standard equipment."
    The vehicle is accelerated by the propulsion system at an average of 0.3 g until it reaches the test speed and then is released from the propulsion systemapproximately25 cm before the barrier. The onboard braking system, which applies the vehicle’s servicebrakes on the rearwheels, is activated 1 second after the vehicle is released from the propulsion system.
    ..."

https://www.iihs.org/media/ec54a7ea...ocols/current/small_overlap_test_protocol.pdf

#34 MJAB, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
    wtxiceman likes this.
  15. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Looking at this comparative video of JK and JL small overlap crash test I see, but maybe I am wrong, that the problem is the hood.
    In the Jk it passed the wall and is compressed toward the center of the car, in the JL it open and deform, when approximating A pillar it goes over the barrier top. The hinges of the hood resist.
    From about second 16 to 19 of the video for side view, second 31 aerial view.
    Also from inside, at second 45 there is the hood bent visible that climbs over the barrier.
    From front till minuti 1:06 crash is similar, than when hood opens it change all.

#35 MJAB, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
  16. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Addendum at what I wrote, I forgot a part of a sentence.
    "Looking at this comparative video of JK and JL small overlap crash test I see, but maybe I am wrong, that the problem is the hood." =>
    "Looking at this comparative video of JK and JL small overlap crash test I see, but maybe I am wrong, that the problem is the hood or in the area under the hood near pillar A ."

Resume of my confused way of writing :)
    The JK and JL crashes look similar till the time JL hood opens (or is opened).

17. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

slow it down in the bird's eye view there is no doubt they did the test different. Look at how its lined up...both line up on the driver side headlight but on the JK the headlights are mounted closer together than on the JL. So in the JK test the structure took more of the brunt of the force in the JL it deflected it and that pushed it over.

18. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

IMG_1707.JPG

see what I mean?

19. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Looking again the video one can see also what could be the effect of front left wheel.
    In the Jk crash the tyre looks like to explode, while in the JL no. It looks like it goes under the vehicle, but with less damages than in the JK.

20. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

It hits within their margin or error. My guess is there's more reinforcement there now so it moved the wheel under the cap and launched the car onto its side

XRT2SRT likes this.