AF: Wrangler diesel engine 30% build rate????? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrangler diesel engine 30% build rate?????

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Aug 8, 2020.

1. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

I just looked at the 2021 ordering guidelines for Wrangler. FCA is suggesting a 30% mix for diesel engines for inventory............. That sounds a little off in my area....... I will be ordering maybe 10% 30% sounds high to me..... what do yall think......... [​IMG]

2. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

What little i know don't people like mpg for a daily and then torque for off-roading? Diesel gets both of those checked

3. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Modern diesel is not for city driving.

KrisW and Tony K like this.
  4. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

The other engines offered in the Wrangler are great. It's not like ordering the diesel avoids getting some sad sack motor with an appetite for fuel. Someone with a specific need will be willing to pay extra for a diesel, but I don't see it coming from the average buyer. In addition to that, all bets are off until we see the PHEV Wrangler. I would hate to have my inventory tied up with diesels when customers want electrification.

tlc likes this.
  5. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Are still affected by the typical ecodiesel problems? I suppose it depends on how many engine warranty claims your dealership wants to handle.

UN4GTBL and aldo90731 like this.
  6. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

At less then 2 bucks a gallon I don't see many here in the states wanting electrification. They can't even make them steer right, let alone electrifying them. Some will opt for the diesel, it won't be 30 percent. Maybe 10.

7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Except the 3.6, which excels in other vehicles, really isn’t great in Wrangler or Gladiator. It’s OK and the 8 speed has helped.

Tony K likes this.
  8. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Yes there's a few people on the forums here that are complaining that the new changes do nothing!

aldo90731 likes this.
  9. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

I think 30% take rate is a bit optimistic. I am already seeing owners of brand-new JL EcoDiesels complain of engine problems on the Wrangler forums.

It won’t take much to take the wind off EcoDiesel’s sail if it establishes a reputation for inconsistent workmanship.

FCA’s 30% “guideline” is likely shaped by unit profits and meeting CAFE numbers; neither of which benefit individual dealers and consumers.

ShawnP, tlc and valiant67 like this.
  10. WXman

WXman Active Member

Well, my 2020 EcoDiesel is now in it's 3rd week in the shop. No solid ETA. I took it there in late July when it started dripping oil on my driveway and the front of the block was wet.

On the various forums and Facebook owner groups, I've seen everything from oil leaks to CAC hose failures to EGR failures to completely blown engines with metal shavings in the oil pan. So, it's starting to appear to me that the 3rd Gen engine with it's "80% new" construction is the same European garbage that we had before, and I'm becoming frustrated with it. I paid $5,000 UPCHARGE to get this engine and it's already let me down unlike any engine I've had before at such low mileage. Wife and I have had MINI, BMW, etc. and also gas and diesel engines from Euro automakers and none of them have ever been reliable. ALL of them had issues within the first year. I have learned my lesson!

In addition to that, I don't think salesmen and saleswomen are doing a good job of explaining the real ownership cost picture with the EcoDiesel. Sure, you get a real world benefit of 5 miles per gallon. But, nobody mentions that diesel fuel is sold at only 50% of stations according to AAA and diesel is more expensive which wipes out all your savings. They don't mention that oil changes are 4X more expensive, there's a $40 fuel filter that also needs to be changed every 15,000 miles, and repairs take forever because parts need to come overseas. DEF is $20 per tank. You also have to alter your driving habits because normal highway driving does NOT produce the 650+ degree temps needed to naturally clean the DPF. Throttle response is horrendous because of the turbo and the exhaust components being used to control emissions. I think if the average consumer were made aware of how life truly is with the EcoDiesel they'd be less inclined to buy one.

I liked mine a lot before it let me down because I tow fairly heavy loads for a half-ton truck. But this will likely be the last diesel in my driveway. I'll gladly take the 5 MPG penalty to have a truck that I feel I can trust.

11. Adventurer55

With all the profit that FCA and Cummins have shared over the years, it is beyond me why they didn't develope a 3 litre or so powerplant that would've worked in the 1500. Evidently the Cummins engine family that Nissan ended up using instead of Ram wasn't very good either. But they used the V8 version, but there was a V6 version as well I recall.

12. CDJSalesPro

CDJSalesPro Allpar Legacy

Why does it always need to be the salesmen or sales women's fault......o_O First of all I agree with just about everything you have said, But I have to ask you and you have to be completely honest. How would you take a salesperson who doesn't agree with your CHOICE. How would you accept a salesperson questioning your judgement and ability to determine if this engine was right for your needs. I have tried on more than one occasion to educate a potential customer on the pros and cons of this engine and it has not ended well. Mans EGO gets in the way. "How dare that salesman talk to me like I dont know know what I want" " He was condescending" "I've done my research" Odds are you walked into your local dealership and ordered that Wrangler because that is what you thought you wanted..... If the salesman "SOLD" or stuffed you in that engine because thats all they had than he or she may be wrong.

I have never thought that eco-diesel was a good idea for the Wrangler for all of the reasons you have finally realized. However.....you are only coming to this revelation now that you are having problems. If the eco-diesel wasn't giving you problems you still would have negligible fuel economy savings and crappy throttle response . I didn't like it in Liberty and thought it was a bad fit for Grand Cherokee. But it is not my JOB to talk an educated consumer out of their CHOICE. ;)

13. aldo90731

Same old story: the new bosses thought they knew better than everyone else in the building; so they brought in their cronies to build a diesel for Jeeps and Ram. And here we are.

Part of the reason EcoDiesels are stupidly expensive, is because FCA has to recoup all those warranty costs, buy-backs, lemon law suits...and EPA fines.

Dave Z, page2171, willy4110 and 4 others like this.
  14. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

Last time I checked the diesel engine has been around for many many years. And we still can't build one right ??!! Good grief.

willy4110 likes this.
  15. Adventurer55

As a current diesel owner, when a new truck comes my way it won't be a diesel. Not because I don't want one, but because I don't need one any longer. I'm tempted by the mileage claims, but at about 3500 bucks over a Hemi, that can buy a lot of fuel. I don't pull much of anything anymore either so I just don't need a 2500 or a diesel.

16. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Two words: cost reduction.

17. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

So how did that work for them ? (sorry for being so cynical)

UN4GTBL likes this.
  18. aldo90731

To add insult to injury, this is now their SECOND attempt at getting it right...!

page2171, UN4GTBL, tlc and 1 other person like this.
  19. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I hate to say this, but probably what they expected.
    It's a gamble, but saving money today often is rated much better than saving money in the future. Save $1 per engine today on the chance that maybe 1 in 1000 will require $1000 warranty cost in the future is a numbers game financial planners would take.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Especially if they ignore the customer loss and resulting higher advertising and lease-residual costs.

page2171, UN4GTBL and valiant67 like this.