AF: Wrangler diesel engine 30% build rate????? | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrangler diesel engine 30% build rate?????

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Where is the 30% number coming from?

FCA is recommending 15% of the ordering mix for the 4-door Wrangler be diesel.

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 10.27.44 AM.png

ScramFan, K-9 and T_690 like this.
  2. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Auburn Hills should have one whole wall dedicated to at least three years. 1957, 1976 and 1989. With the words, "Remember, this is what you get when cost reduction is the most important thing in your company".

3. aldo90731

Does FCA “recommendation” vary by region?

4. Ryan

I don't think the ordering handbook that I am looking at is specific to any region.

5. K-9

K-9 Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to what the actual take rate is for the diesel engine. Is there some way to look that up or is it company confidential?

6. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Autozone has it (I'm being facetious). Everytime I order a part and they ask me 2.2 or 2.6? And next to those engine options are "19% of cars" next to 2.2 and "81% of cars" next to 2.6. I assume those are the sales for those engines during that time.

K-9 likes this.
  7. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

Not around here. 2.50 was the best I saw yesterday.

8. WXman

WXman Active Member

I said nothing about trying to influence choice. All I said was the facts should be laid down so that the consumer CAN make the best choice. In my experience, sales staff in general know less about the product than the consumer who walks onto the lot to shop and that's a problem. It's also a problem that ONLY the fuel mileage benefit is discussed with the diesel, and none of the laundry list of sacrifices a person has to make to live with the diesel are mentioned. Again, this is speaking in general. There are exceptions to the rule such as yourself.

I don't necessarily think diesel is a bad fit for Jeep or Ram 1500. I think THIS diesel is a bad fit. Like somebody mentioned... a light duty Cummins would have been amazing. Lower cost, less expensive maintenance, none of the problems.

Adventurer55, valiant67 and Doug D like this.
  9. WXman

WXman Active Member

Finally got mine home after two weeks! Fingers crossed now! Here's hoping for a better next 5,000 miles!

Attached Files:

10. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

So where was the leak? From document I don't see a description of the leak cause.
    Maybe I didn't read correctly.

11. WXman

WXman Active Member

Sounds like there was a spot on the timing cover from machining that was allowing the oil to squeeze through. Unfortunately he had to take quite a few things apart to replace it, and there was one injector that was seized in the head already! Tough job.

12. 97 plymouth neon expresso

97 plymouth neon expresso Well-Known Member

I wonder what this would have cost out of warranty?

13. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Well You should also add the Pentastar 3.6 V6 to the list of engines in new Wrangler with cases of oil leaks, some with engine replacement.
    Do You really think that maintain a new Cummins diesel light duty engine (ISF2.8 or R2.8, that doesn't meet actual emission legislation) would less expensive?

I personally prefer of the diesel engines for vehicles like the Wrangler the inline 4 cylinders, less expensive manufacturing, more space in the engine bay, easier to service, 2 injectors and glowplugs less...

ScramFan likes this.
  14. WXman

WXman Active Member

I have no idea. I'm guessing a timing cover and valve cover shipped from VM would likely be several hundred dollars. Then you've got around 6-8 hours of labor. Plus oil, oil filter, dye for testing, and misc items. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a $2,000 bill.

15. WXman

WXman Active Member

Yeah. The Cummins engines have the benefit of being made here. That alone would keep costs down. Also, they sell far more which keeps costs down. If FCA had used a Cummins engine in the 1500 they would have sold them faster than they could make them. The quantity sold and the ease of access to American parts would have made for a less expensive engine to own and operate over time. Oh well.....

Dave Z likes this.
  16. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

When looking for my Ram, I have seen so many dealers with 3.0's on the lots and I just could not justify the cost. In 4 years with my GMC Truck, I put on 32k miles, so it would take me forever to recoup the cost.

Funny, many of these dealers still have these 3.0's on the lots.....o_O

17. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Not to be bad, but the cost depends also on how much damages makes the technitian that works on the engine.

18. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Which engine from Cummins? They have actually no small engines that can be used onroad in U.S.A..
    Or maybe You are talking about the ones that they make for Asian market, 4 cylinders (ISF 2.8 and 3.8, Euro 3 emissions level initially), that have several known problems.

p.s.: the Cummins R2.8 crate engine sold in U.S.A. is an engine of ISF 2.8 engines family. Don't know how much parts they change vs. ISF 2.8, but most parts are the same and are manufactured in a chinese plant.
    Assembly should be done in U.S.A., well always if I remeber well what I read time ago.

#38 MJAB, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    ScramFan likes this.
  19. WXman

WXman Active Member

They could have built a new one. It would have been a lucrative business deal.

Or, they could have taken that 5.0 V8 that Nissan ended up with and put a few tweaks on it to make it more fuel efficient and boom... perfect 1/2 ton truck engine.

Dave Z and valiant67 like this.
  20. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Not to mention the goodwill the Cummins name brought to Dodge/Ram over several decades.

Dave Z likes this.