AF: Wrangler diesel engine 30% build rate????? | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrangler diesel engine 30% build rate?????

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by CDJSalesPro, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Surely those things are stocked in the US somewhere, brought in en masse?

Agreed. I found it insane to give that up. Cummins is what kept Dodge Trucks going for years.

page2171 likes this.
  2. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

But You forget its volumetric size and weight.

As specifications of Cummins ISV5.0 the system weight is 899 lbs (408 kg), of which 95 lbs (45 kg) for the aftertreatment system and 804 lbs (365 kg) for the engine, and the engine weight is the dry weight.

It sold by Cummins as engine for "Medium-Duty Truck", for sure not for a Jeep Wrangler / Gladiator.

ISV5.0 | Cummins Inc. (at https://www.cummins.com/engines/isv50?v=571&application=Medium-Duty%20Truck )

tlc and kevin m. Henry like this.
  3. moparfan06

moparfan06 Well-Known Member

I am guessing WXman is thinking of the 6.7 Cummins. It is built in Columbus Indiana.

4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Yup, it was the V6 that would go into the vehicles where the 3.0 is now.

I am disappointed in VM. Chrysler itself had worked with them for many years.

page2171 and valiant67 like this.
  5. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The VM A630 is a project of pre-Fiat era born when the company was owned by Penske Corporation and GM (that bought 50% in 2007). The company and VM was supplier of Chrysler for diesel engines (outside U.S.A.).
    2011 Fiat group bought the 50% from Penske and in 2013 the other 50% from GM.
    When arrived Fiat in VM the main modification was the change of the injection system (switch to Multijet II).
    This is the only, if I remember well, V configuration engine made by VM.

The VM 4 2.8 cylinders engines family (R2428, RA428, A428) were better engines.

The GM diesel 4 cyliners is derived from the VM one.
    GM actually, after selling the Global Propulsion Systems of Turin to Punch Group this year (now PUNCH Torino), have lost the main diesel engines design/development center (their last development was the inline 6 Duramax).

It would be intrestin gto know if continued the development for Ram of a 4.3 liter 6 cylinder inline diesel engine of F1 family engines made by FTP Industrial.

ScramFan likes this.
  6. LouJC

LouJC Well-Known Member

I’ve driven both JKs JLs and Jts with the Pentastar and after a lot of thinking my next Jeep will likely be just like my present one, Grand Cherokee Limited with Hemi V8. Don’t want an expensive Euro based diesel. Gas is cheap & I’m retired and don’t drive that much but want a V8 under my right foot!

page2171 and aldo90731 like this.