Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrangler: more info, PHEV coming

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

The Jeep Wrangler was officially unveiled today, with a new lighter-weight body atop a high-strength steel frame, three engine choices – four by 2020 – and a new, optional full-time four wheel drive system that dates back to the old and respected Grand Cherokee WJ.

[​IMG]

What’s left? Well, there were a few new details and a revelation or two they were still managing to keep from us, despite all the leaks.

Overall aerodynamic efficiency has been increased by 9%. Both headlamps and fog lamps are LEDs (available option). The windshield can be dropped while the rear-view mirrors stay in place; and the doors have larger windows, it’s not your imagination. That should help in both city and off-road — especially off-road.

The power top can retract the canvas roof all the way, even at speeds up to 60 mph. At least one of what Jeep brand chief Michael Manley called a “catalogue of open air iterations” is a spring-loaded manual soft top, presumably for one-handed ease of use.

The new electro-hydraulic steering systems have a more natural feel, and there is a new steering wheel, according to Manley, who delivered a 20-minute monologue during the unveiling in Los Angeles.

The Sport, Sahara, and Rubicon all have different exterior styling cues, but all have an integrated spoiler at the rear of the roof; all are Trail Rated. Two new Rubicons were shown off, a yellow one joining the red, along with the dark gray Sahara familiar to Allpar readers.

Safety upgrades include the ever-handy rear cross-path detection and many other additions. The Jeep information pages include a screen with five analog gauges, for those who miss having full instrumentation.

The hybrid system includes regenerative braking as part of the mild-hybrid package. The diesel is coming in 2019, not 2018, and “should deliver over 30 miles per gallon” once it’s rated. Manley said the diesel had to be offered “due to overwhelming consumer demand.”

And for those wondering what FCA is doing about the EV future so many predict is coming, a full plug-in hybrid-electric Jeep Wrangler will be available in 2020 as the fourth engine option.

Read the whole post here.

#1 Dave Z, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

3. cygnus

Ad-Free Member

I hope they sell a lot of them. It's just sad though that the departure angles keep decreasing redesign over redesign.

People want a (intro priced) $20K Cherokee sized BoF SUV. On a planet of eight billion people, you're telling me this can't be done?

xjgary likes this.
  4. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

The ENVI program would be proud...

hemi_magnum, xjgary, UN4GTBL and 2 others like this.
  5. 12soldier

12soldier Well-Known Member

I'm ecstatic about the diesel, although I've read on Allpar multiple times. As some of the people on here have said, "nothing is official, until it's official". I'm hoping that Power Sky roof is available and the diesel when the JT is.

6. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

The EV is very intriguing. It wouldn’t help me much on my commute to work if the electric range is only 40 or so miles because one way for me is about 44 miles, but the gas engine would take over for that. Around town for errands and such, it would be great. Definitely something to consider once it’s available.

jerseyjoe likes this.
  7. kcoc

kcoc Active Member

Is that a piece of glass in the lower part of the door on the red 2 door Jeep on stage?

UN4GTBL likes this.
  8. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

Safari?

I think you mean Sahara?

Yeah, that would be interesting to know.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  9. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Active Member

Better check those specs. The JK (40.4) was significantly better than both the TJ (31.5) and the YJ.

Deckard_Cain and GasAxe like this.
  10. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

You're dreaming to think that you will find a Cherokee sized SUV starting anywhere near $20k. Even if SUVs weren't as crazy popular as they are now.

11. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

The engine alone in a wrangler is work 20k

12. cygnus

Ad-Free Member

What do you think the cost of a B-size BoF SUV with Cherokee like capabilities should be then? People keep forgetting - this is the type of vehicle that brought many, many new people into Jeep. People know value when they see it. Not $45K monsters with bells and whistles. A world class (for the time) frame that (still) has outstanding off road capabilities.

The further they stray from this, the further the memory becomes and the more susceptible they are to disruption by someone who recognizes this.

My hope is that they use the profits from Wrangler to not fund additional Italian supercars, but something that I described using the low end four/high end four for powertrain options, and a heavily modified version of the fullback.

#12 cygnus, Nov 30, 2017
  13. cygnus

Ad-Free Member

Check your math. The V6 Pentastar costs no where near that much.

xjgary likes this.
  14. WXman

WXman Active Member

After watching the reveal yesterday, my opinion is that you'd be a fool to buy the '18 JK unless they do HUGE rebates on them this winter.

MPE426HEMI, xjgary, UN4GTBL and 2 others like this.
  15. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Oh, I would love it if they would offer one. I am just saying that it isn't realistic. The least expensive Renegade with 4wd starts at $20k.

16. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

well there reality is the opposite.
    The italian supercar brand, Ferrari, saw it bank account voided (it had no net debt, but cash in hand), than was added some FCA debt.
    In total, adding something less than Euro 1 billion, from Ferrari arrived in FCA about Euro 3.5 billion of cash with the spin-off.

AlfaCuda and T_690 like this.
  17. cygnus

Ad-Free Member

"than was added some FCA debt" this was a refinancing to get a lower interest rate, a slight of hand. Come on guys, we've known how this company operates now - it's been almost a decade. This did not impair any investment/impede any cash that went to Alfa/Ferrari/Maesarati for future product development.

These brands alone (except maybe Ferrari) can't fund themselves, still. Hopefully it doesn't take another 5-7 years for this to become true, but it probably will.

aldo90731 likes this.
  18. cygnus

Ad-Free Member

Renegade is overpriced box on wheels for women. Look up the demographics of individuals who buy Renegades.

19. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I thought the same.

However, you’d be surprised how many Wrangler buyers don’t care about uConnect, leather seats or LED DRLs. They just want the motor, the 4WD, the springs and the simplicity that they can modify into a trail Jeep, and a JK offers them a better proposition than the JL for that.

Then there’s a group that genuinely won’t like the new grille, or the new LEDs, or the new windshield angle.

Then there’s the group who thinks you should never buy a new vehicle in its first year, and another who wants a Jeep with the least amount of Fiat genes in it.

And then, there’s another group who wants a Jeep real bad and thinks a Wrangler is a Wrangler and because they can’t tell the difference, no one else can either.

Obviously JK has expanded Wrangler’s appeal beyond its traditional base. But overall I am not too concerned. Wrangler is unique when it comes to holding its value.

#19 aldo90731, Nov 30, 2017
    MPE426HEMI, Dave Z, FreeLantz and 4 others like this.
  20. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

The simply fact is FCA from Ferrari spinoff got more than USD 4 billion.

"...
    In addition to nearly $1 billion in proceeds from an initial public offering, Ferrari will pay Fiat Chrysler 2.8 billion euros ($3.2 billion), according to a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The payout, called the FCA Note, was 2.5 billion euros in a Sept. 22 document on the transaction and was originally supposed to be 2.25 billion euros.

Read more at:
    //economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/49325303.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst
    ..."
    Ferrari spinoff generates $4 billion windfall for Fiat Chrysler (at https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/business/ferrari-spinoff-generates-4-billion-windfall-for-fiat-chrysler/articleshow/49325303.cms )

FCA owned 90% of Ferrari S.p.A., 10% were in the hands of Piero Ferrari.

They distributed the dividends (+ future dividends if I remember well).
    Than FCA sold a 10% on the market.
    Than there if the FCA note.
    And finally the Ferrari N.V. (new holding company) shares owned by FCA were distributed to FCA shareholders.

It is all written in public documents since FCA is a company quoted in stock markets.

To add that in last FCA financial reports most of FCA's net profit was from Ferrari S.p.A..
    Also this data are in FCA's annual financial reports.

AlfaCuda and jorisr like this.