Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrangler: more info, PHEV coming

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Nov 29, 2017.

1. T_690

T_690 Active Member

So you are suggesting that Maserati did not finance their R&D? Obviously you skip many financial reports.

2. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

It is what it is. But, that doesn't change the fact that a BOF SUV for $20k is unrealistic in today's world.

GasAxe likes this.
  3. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Saharas suffered of “middle child syndrome” under JK. Although Sahara remained the best-selling JK trim, Rubicon’s reputation overshadowed Sahara. In yesterday’s presentation, FCA seemed to be going out of its way to talk about of Sahara.

Saharas have always been characterized by their painted fenders. Every Rubicon JL I have seen so far has the fenders painted. Does anyone know if Rubicons will be getting the fenders painted standard, and the black fenders are now just on Sports?

Also, are Saharas now getting the painted top standard?

#23 aldo90731, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  4. WXman

WXman Active Member

Then you've got the group who sees past the flashy LEDs and uConnect and they notice things like the one-handed soft top operation, the hood latches that don't stretch now and have clearance for a winch line, the window built into the half doors for better view, the factory clearance for 35" tires, the 5.13 first gear ratio on the new 6-speed, the 4-bolt fold down windshield, the reclined second row seating, etc. The JL has been made better in every way, rendering the JK a foolish purchase for almost every buyer except those who only care about the best price. So yeah, when the forum here posted that '18 JKs would be sold at "deep discounts" this winter, my guess is that those discounts will likely be the largest ones we've ever seen on a CJ/Wrangler vehicle.

xjgary and BEEAH like this.
  5. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Well it could be done, but it will not be done.

The business model to be used could be the one used to develop the Dacia / Renault Duster.
    Take "old" architecture, engines, transmission, suspensions, ... + "old" production line and make a new low budget vehicle.
    How is possible? The manufacturer has already repaid cost for main R&D of the architecture, engines, transmissions, suspensions, ... + they know what were the problems, and hopefully resolved, and so the expected warranty costs that has to be included in vehicle price (warranty is not "free", is included in the vehicle price).

So, for example, there is a certain Jeep vehicle that is going out of production, for example JK.
    Lets image we take all actual powertrain, maybe add a 4 cylinder diesel already in production + the "old" Pentastar (not PUG).
    No change in suspensions, ... as tools are already in place, maybe update the parts that cost more for FCA's warranty.
    No real complicated infotainment, just rear camera and radio + allow to install customer smartphone / tablet.
    Renew the body with "fixed" windshield, closed metal roof, ...

Call it Jeep Utility. But since it will be have that "premium" touch it would be not in line with actual Jeep direction.
    So just use ORU (offroad utility vehicle) "by Jeep" and put any logo on it (based on markets Ram, Fiat Professional, ...) or FCA ORU.

#25 MJAB, Nov 30, 2017
  6. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Could very well be. We won’t know until it happens.

7. wvutuba

wvutuba Active Member

Who do I give my deposit to? Haha

8. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Even "old" models are unlikely to survive as cheap new vehicles because they are either going to need to meet ever increasingly stricter emissions or crash testing, or the manufacturing capacity is needed for new product. When the stars do align, you can get a few extra years of production much like the current Caravan. My guess is FCA or any other OEM tries very hard not to have these situations because it's ultimately a money loser or lost gains proposition.

So sorry Charlie. A sub $20k 4x4 vehicle just ain't gonna happen, but look over yonder. There's a whole other market of something called "used cars" loaded with just about any option and price anyone can dream of.;):D

9. cygnus

Ad-Free Member

Again I ask you - how much would an Indian/Chinese made, Jeep branded, BoF B-size SUV cost?

10. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

I don't know. But, if there was a market for it, and they could make money on it for $20k, I imagine they would already be doing it. And if FCA wouldn't be doing it as a Jeep, someone else would be doing it.

ScramFan likes this.
  11. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

that's a bit harsh and degrading to women...

xjgary, codypet, gforce2002 and 3 others like this.
  12. cygnus

Ad-Free Member

1) It's overpriced (FCA makes crazy margins on it / high margins for FCA I (personally) equate with lower consumer value) and has a boxy shape
    2) It's primarily purchased by women

I fail to see how two statements which are true (I can't publish the data on #2 but it's out there) are degrading.

When you start obscuring truth with sensitivity, you become a company like General Motors. And you get vehicles that have the design aggressiveness (lack thereof) and off road capabilities limited to the Z71, which starts at almost $40K. The only reason General Motors is as profitable as it is today is that it didn't go through the ringer like FCA did - bled for their cash, and have the overlord company take out a home equity loan on the assets. The bankruptcy, from a financial perspective (not from a pensioner perspective) was the best thing that happened to GM.

The BoF B-size Jeep SUV made overseas can be done at around $25K, it's just that FCA (specifically Sergio and the Board) don't want to because it would eat into Wrangler profits. They would rather sell you a $40K Rubicon when you could build an equally capable off road vehicle for $15K less.

#32 cygnus, Nov 30, 2017
  13. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Well...after all the frequent repairs related to crappy build quality...it’d probably exceed $20k by a lot. Ziiinnnnngg!! :D:p (Sees self out of room)

UN4GTBL likes this.
  14. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

...see, the way you stated the "facts" here would be fine as it did not carry the derogatory nature of the first statement onto the second. Carry on. ;)

dmcdonald, GasAxe and serpens like this.
  15. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Here is the brochure for the JL...

JL1.jpg

JL2.jpg

JL3.jpg

JL4.jpg

JL5.jpg

JL6.jpg

savio.79, MPE426HEMI and UN4GTBL like this.
  16. VoiceOfReason

VoiceOfReason Active Member

Um, no.
    You can get a Hellcat crate engine for a little more than $20k.

DarkSky likes this.
  17. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels I'm likely at work...
    Level 2 Supporter

I'm sitting here at the dealership level quietly hoping we get a rebate on the Wrangler for the first time. We may have to hide the JLs out back until the JKs are sold-out...

xjgary and UN4GTBL like this.
  18. BobbiBigWheels

Level 2 Supporter

Rubicon:

upload_2017-11-30_9-50-12.png

Note that "Body-colour fender flares" are an option on my internal build system.

19. BobbiBigWheels

Level 2 Supporter

upload_2017-11-30_9-51-44.png
    Sahara - body-colour hard top also an option

aldo90731 likes this.
  20. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

That answers it.

Thanks!

BobbiBigWheels likes this.