Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrangler on the road

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Jul 31, 2017.

1. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

... and in other news - Wrangler Sales at an All-time Low! Now for the weather... o_O

Ruptured Duck and Bionicrooster like this.
  2. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

What @GasAxe said! ^^^

3. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

This switch from JK to JL is going to be unlike any other. In the past, when TJ was selling 50,000 units/year of only 2 doors, the buyer composition had a decidedly greater offroad component.

JK 4-doors grew sales to 200,000 units in no small part by attracting lots of "mall crawlers", so we should expect greater seasonality in Wrangler sales.

#43 aldo90731, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

By adding two additional doors to make JKU, they opened up Wrangler to a lot of people who might've wanted a Wrangler but couldn't live with just two doors. I never wanted to get rid of my TJ, but I was constantly on the move for work so I needed more cargo room. If they had had JKU then, it would've been a no-brainer instead of Liberty. My Liberty has been a tremendous workhorse over the years, and has served me extremely well, but it would not have been my first choice. JKU has brought Wrangler fans into the fold who might not have been there otherwise...and hopefully JT will too (I'm hoping to get one myself!).

5. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

What strange fact.
    All wrong is from the "others", all good is from North America planners.
    uhmmm but was not Sergio Marchionne that had final decision on all and didn't delegate, and wanted to have final world on all?

FCA has, since Fiat group structure of the past, a structure more similar to a conglomerate with regional main areas (North America, EMEA, South America and, smaller and less articulated APAC) + Teksid,COMAU and Magneti Marelli.

Sergio Marchionne it is at head of NAFTA area (+ FCA CEO).

:)

ScramFan likes this.
  6. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I went to test drive a manual transmission Nitro when it first came out. I always wanted a manual transmission truck.

I didn't buy the Nitro, but years later owned several manual transmission JKUs.

Zagnut27 and UN4GTBL like this.
  7. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

I saw a Nitro the other day. I had completely forgotten about them.

Another vehicle that I'd love to see the current FCA team refresh. (Magnum too)

aldo90731 likes this.
  8. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Sorry my response was a parody of the news IF the model DarkSky posted had become JL. It's just down right ugly like Renegade without the cute factor

Bionicrooster likes this.
  9. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

It contains enough cues to be recognized as a Wrangler, which means it could work. So I'm not going to comment whether it is ugly or not.

The thing is, if all those additional design elements require compromises in the ruggedness, functionality, simplicity and ease of customization Wrangler owners expect, it would become a non-starter for many.

This was one of the issues Toyota encountered with FJ Cruiser: it dismissed many of Wrangler design elements as mere retro "quirks", without understanding what people appreciated in them. So, it set out to build a "better" SUV, as defined by the average Toyota customer, and added a bunch of overstyled features for show. Toyota loyals bought into it, but it failed to impress serious offroaders.

#49 aldo90731, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  10. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

That's exactly why I said the Renegade should have been styled differently so this could be released. Then nobody would have the Renegade to compare it to.

11. suzq044

suzq044 Resident Photoshop Nerd

Meanwhile, I wish they had gone further this direction with the Renegade. Make it a true mini-me to the Wrangler.

12. DarkSky

DarkSky Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Either option would have been fine with me!

suzq044 likes this.
  13. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Yup. I had hoped that Renegade would have had more of Wrangler's style, just in a smaller and more on-road friendly package. The final design ended up looking rather cartoonish IMO, which is something I can't really say about any of the other Jeeps.

DAGAR likes this.
  14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I really wish I could get a manual when I get a JT...but, alas, the boss said no. On the brighter side though, she said she really likes what I've shown her of JT so far and she would actually like to drive it (once in a while). WINNING!! :D

aldo90731 and suzq044 like this.
  15. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

@DarkSky I'm sorry but I have to agree with @suzq044 on this one. There is a reason they did not go that direction. It always looked like someone high up told them what they thought the Wrangler should be. Despite objections they were told to do it..... At least this is what I like to think happened... :D. That front end is just all wrong for the wrangler but might have worked for the Renegade to give it a little more of a rugged look. That's just my opinion and we all know the saying about opinions.

suzq044 likes this.
  16. WXman

WXman Active Member

If JK and JL are so similar that aftermarket parts will carry over, how different can the JL really be?

I stand by my statement. This is a major refreshening of an existing vehicle. Toyota did the same thing. New (worse) V6 engine and some important tweaks here and there, but NOT a totally new truck from the ground up.

17. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

Interupting this thread for a moment, I like the evolution the of this vehicle, easy to identify 1/4 mile away yet pleasing changes close up to draw in new customers. Mustang and Camaro have not discovered this. 808 hp helps image.

FCA must understand Wrangler base customers.

Zagnut27 and aldo90731 like this.
  18. dmcdonald

dmcdonald Active Member

Let's see...new engines, new transmissions, new axles, new body tub, new interior, new tops, etc.
    Don't confuse leaving similar mounting points for accessories with having the same thing to mount them to.

19. 12soldier

12soldier Well-Known Member

I believe a good quote went "'When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.'
    -God in the show Futurama

UN4GTBL, link3721, Dave Z and 5 others like this.
  20. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

This is yet to be seen. We do not know how much of the aftermarket will carry over. I can already tell you a HUGE amount want. You are not going to just be able to unbolt your JK parts and reinstall them on the JL. It want work that way for most parts.