Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrangler on the road

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Dave Z, Jul 31, 2017.

1. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Wait a minute... Who said aftermarket parts will carry over from the JK to the JL?o_O

2. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

It is right there in the article.

I can see things like the Mopar steel bumpers with winch mount, most parts in the suspension lift kits, and even the tail light guards, fitting JL as long as they kept the frame width and mounts the same.

It is a lot of work to redesign those accessories, find new suppliers, re-certify them, etc.

JK Mopar accessories have been a windfall for FCA: the bumpers are well designed and fit like a glove, and I'd be surprised Jeep nets less than 50% margin on them. The Mopar 2" lift with Fox shocks has been wildly successful, and the winch bumpers are outrageously expensive, but Jeepers bend over backwards to get them.

My prior Jeep dealer of many years in Long Beach, CA, used to sell me Mopar accessories at cost. The Mopar bumpers for my 2015 Sahara were $1,100 for both, at cost; the Mopar 2" lift with Fox shocks was another $1,200 plus $500 for the installation. I also purchased from him Mopar tail light guards, Mopar slush mats, Mopar fuel door, Mopar cold air intake (just for sound), Mopar hardtop headliners, Mopar wheel locks, Mopar etc., Mopar etc., Mopar etc.

Yep, CDJR dealers just love them Wranglers...!

My JKU is a rolling showcase of Mopar accessories
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#62 aldo90731, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    dakrt99, j8jeeper, dmcdonald and 6 others like this.
  3. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks @aldo90731. I thought my comment of the CJ7 and YJ sharing a tub was being applied to the JK-JL. Back to our regular programing...

4. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

I am not convinced that many things will just "bolt-on" based on some article.

My understanding was the JL frame is different from the JK, which will change some hard-points for sure.

I guess we have to wait and see.

dmcdonald and Ruptured Duck like this.
  5. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Just because a bumper can bolt on or the bolt pattern for wheels remains the same, etc. doesn't mean the vehicle isn't significantly changed. Major aftermarket parts that aren't going to work include: replacement tops, windscreen mount items, probably door hinge mount mirrors (at least not precisely), etc. Just because certain items will still swap as is, doesn't mean that there isn't significant change.

6. DAGAR

DAGAR Active Member

Such a great looking Jeep, Aldo - every time I see it I'm jealous! :oops:

aldo90731 likes this.
  7. Ruptured Duck

Ruptured Duck Active Member

Yes, the aftermarket will have a new canvas to paint on. Data has not been released so unless you are already working on something Jeep (FCA) wants out of the gate you have to buy one to see whats in one...:cool:
    No aftermarket supplier has a full understanding of what will and what want fit. New frame may allow for basically the same mounting points for the bumpers but even then you always design to the vehicle. A JK part (even if it does bolt on) may look out of place. Wheels maybe the only exception but even then backspacing may have changed in relation to new components and control arms.

The aftermarket will be very busy come December - January. People will be screaming for parts and not understanding why there are so few available at the time of release.

Zagnut27 and ScramFan like this.
  8. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I wouldn't doubt that a few suppliers (cough, AEV, cough) get their hands on a JL pretty early and have aftermarket parts available at launch.

suzq044 likes this.
  9. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

No, they do not get a vehicle early. They get engineering drawings so they can design accessories.

Stomper and Ruptured Duck like this.
  10. Ruptured Duck

Correct. They get the data relevant to what FCA wants from them.

Stomper, Zagnut27 and Erik Latranyi like this.
  11. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Yes, and since these relationships between Jeep and the Accessory Community are long-lived, Jeep knows what information they need to send and what they will not reveal until the vehicle is made public.

12. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

I've always wondered how that worked with the aftermarket and a new vehicle. Thanks for the enlightenment. :)

13. zack_falcon

zack_falcon Active Member

Some questions:

Isn't the JL rumoured to be longer than the JK?

If so, wouldn't it lose some breakover angle? And would an increase in tire size negate that?

14. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

I saw reports that the cowl length is 2" longer to accommodate the 8-speed transmission and more slanted windshield.

I am no engineer, but I'd think 1" higher tires more than compensate for a 2" increase in wheelbase...? Breakover would also be dependent on whether the suspension sits at the same height as JK or higher.

15. WXman

WXman Active Member

Apparently JL is now showing up in the dealer system. It's been posted over at the other forum. There is a list of cool options, best of which is the addition of Selec-Trac!!!

16. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

17. Ruptured Duck

The paint code (from what I have read) is the same for Nacho and Dozer.... guess time will tell.

aldo90731 likes this.
  18. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

Cool, I liked that color. Nice and bright.

19. wilbur

wilbur Active Member

Nothing on gearing so far.. :( Hopefully soon!!! :)

20. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member