Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrangler towing ratings

Discussion in 'Wrangler, CJ, Wagoneer, other traditional Jeeps' started by Andy Dufresne, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

My 2011 2dr Wrangler has a lower towing capacity than a 4dr. I understand a longer wheelbase would be more stable on the highway, but I am looking at city boat towing only. What else makes the rating on the 4dr higher?

2. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

I ordered a 2011 Wrangler 2dr with an automatic and a trailer hitch. Bummed out to find rating is only 1000 lbs. while the 4dr rating is higher. I will only be towing a boat in the city and understand the longer wheelbase being more stable, but what is different between the 2 and 4 door to get the different ratings? ........any FCA engineers out there that can get me an answer?

3. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Mother is generally conservative or if you like on the safe side or honest with their ratings.
    Short technical answer is twofold.
    - off road setup of suspension isn't suitable for towing.
    - short wheelbase isn't either.

4. link3721

link3721 Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
    Level 2 Supporter

I think wheelbase is the only difference, unless the two door doesn't have the trailer sway damping capability. Everything else should be the same between the two versions. I think I've been told by people in the know that the 4 door could easily pull much higher loads on pavement but the rating takes into account pulling at extreme angles on off-road trails.

valiant67 likes this.
  5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

It may simply be that a longer and heavier tow vehicle is more safe and stable than a shorter one. Highway safety is the major consideration here.
    The electronic trailer sway control that is part of the electronic stability management in trucks is a wonder to behold. It really takes care of the drama of a pending out-of-control 'trailer wig-wagging' event.
    Except for the brief illumination of a yellow ESC dash lamp, the automatic rescue may be unknown to the driver of the tow vehicle. Once a trailer load begins to oscillate back and forth, any rescue intervention is welcome.
    Electronics don't panic or have to white-knuckle an ESC event.

Dave Z, Doug D and valiant67 like this.
  6. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

I was looking for the long technical answer. Since my 2dr is an automatic it actually has a 2000# capacity, and a 4dr automatic would be 3500#. Since the speed limit around town is 35 mph I was and an across town trip is 5 miles I am thinking I will be OK overloading it. I just wanted to know what made the 4dr more heavy duty....if it was more than wheelbase.

7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Just a word of warning. While your Wrangler could probably handle being slightly overloaded (not recommended) you would be in violation of the law if the total weight of the vehicle/trailer and everything in them exceed the Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. You could be cited if you are in accident and found to be exceeding the CGVWR.

I believe the SAE has guidelines regarding how the tow ratings are to be formulated. I believe the suspension, brakes, transmission, wheel base, and engine hp/torque ratings all come into play in arriving at the recommended tow rating.

8. WXman

WXman Active Member

ALL of the 2007+ Wranglers have relatively low ratings, partly because of how the hitch bolts to the frame. Instead of running down the frame rails like on every other body-on-frame vehicle known to man, Jeep for some reason decided that the rear crossmember could handle the duty. So, the tongue weight puts a lot of torsional stress on that crossmember and you need to make sure you don't overload the tongue of the trailer.