AF: WTF is going on at FCA? | Page 10 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF is going on at FCA?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by aldo90731, Jul 20, 2020.

1. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

We have one of the first DT rams off the lot and don't have an issue with the ac at all, we do use the auto feature so not sure if that changes anything

2. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Allpar Legacy

I have yet to experience this weather alert on my Cherokee...even when driving through absolutely horrendous torrential downpours on I-75, but they way you describe it, I'm ok not having them lol.

Travel Link is completely useless to me though. I would gladly have had them include 5 years of something useful like the Sirius Guardian subscription instead.

3. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

AvengerGuy, Stéphane Dumas and tlc like this.
  4. Mopar International

Mopar International Active Member

Just to add to that, Peugeot 208 Is European Car Of The Year 2020.

60 reporters from 23 countries in Europe's automotive world voted for the winner.

Peugeot 208 Is European Car Of The Year 2020, Beating The Favorite Tesla (at https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwinton/2020/03/02/peugeot-208-is-european-car-of-the-year/ )

[​IMG]

somber, AvengerGuy, dmcdonald and 3 others like this.
  5. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

ScramFan likes this.
  6. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Brotherhood of Lions? :)

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  7. 77 Monaco Brougham

#187 77 Monaco Brougham, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    tlc likes this.
  8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

I would say maybe the issue is Renault quality (or lack of it). I wouldn't recommend a Renault right now.

9. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Quality is a very subjective category.

I would pick Renault with more confidence than Pug. With Pug I could left strained on the road.

10. Ryan

That would be the downgrade of the century.

Dodge-Charger_Daytona_392-2017-1280-07.jpg

UN4GTBL, HotCarNut, MoparJoe and 2 others like this.
  11. aldo90731

This just in:

—Edited for brevity—

Hi All,

...it was my wife's dream from when she first learned to drive to own a Jeep, and now finally some 30 years later we've got the opportunity! Picked up a 20 Sahara Altitude a little over a week ago, Sting Grey with Sky Touch. It is a thing of beauty. Found it on a dealer lot about 2 hours away, it had just came off the truck, build date of 7/20, had 5 miles on it!

We take it for a quick test drive, all seems well, we sign the papers and we are off, heading back home. I'm in my Ram 1500, she's following in the Jeep. After stopping for dinner, she says that the drive was frankly terrifying. She felt like she was all over the road and had no control. We were driving back from Baltimore area, through lots of road construction and traffic. It was an unfamiliar area, with an unfamiliar car, so we chalked it up to that.

I drove the remainder of the way home and it really wasn't a fun experience. I don't think it was terrifying, but really wasn't all that enjoyable.

I checked the tire pressures when we got home and realized that yes, as a lot of others reported, they were way too high. Over 50, actually. Lowered to 38, per door panel, and eventually down to about 35.

The Jeep drives better now, but it still wants to wander, and the question is how much is normal for a solid axle, and how much would be considered a defect. My wife indicates that the way home from work is far worse than the way to work. Its been super hot here in the Philly area lately, in case that has anything to do with it.

But now I find myself obsessed with the steering, ready to swap out the track bar, install some magic stabilizing brace cause i saw a few youtube guys promote it (further reading on that Synergy brace makes me realize i do not want to go down that route) and do whatever else i need to make it acceptable to drive, when it occurs to me that I shouldn't have to do that for a brand new 50k vehicle.

So, what should normal steering on the JL feel like? I loathe taking a car to the dealer for them to tell me nothing is wrong, so if there is something wrong, how can i defend/prove my position? Never had a solid front axle before, and I currently drive a 2016 Ram. The Ram ride/steering is light-years better/different than the Jeep.

—JL Forum member JavaRunner
    It disheartening to read posts like these of brand-new customers who find out on the drive home from the dealership that driving the Jeep of their dreams is in fact “terrifying.”

JKU12, somber, UN4GTBL and 5 others like this.
  12. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Like this fellow, I didn’t find the one I drove terrifying, but it was exhausting because it required constant correction on the highway. Sudden crosswinds were pretty scary though. It’s very telling that the problem is prevalent enough that aftermarket companies like Synergy are making parts specifically to correct it. And it has gone on for three model years.

tlc likes this.
  13. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Somehow, it appears, FCA has managed to shoot the goose that keeps laying the golden eggs. Please get this merger done asap, before anymore damage occurs.

14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Do any of the other vehicles besides JL and JT share the same components/steering setup?

15. 77 Monaco Brougham

aldo90731 likes this.
  16. IronMike3406

IronMike3406 Well-Known Member

17. aldo90731

Not to my knowledge.

The danger we run from FCA botching the JL/JT steering is that pressure will mount internally for JM to go with IFS.

18. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

For the record I have zero handling issues with my 2dr JL Rubicon.

19. valiant67

valiant67 ...

An interesting concept (I say concept because it could have been done or tried, but I didn't see anything on a quick search) would be rack and pinion steering with a solid axle, instead of the old recirculating ball steering box. Bu then, Jeep had been able to do quite well in the past with the old style steering boxes.

tlc, Zagnut27 and aldo90731 like this.
  20. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I was just curious if any other vehicle shared the same components, if they’re not experiencing the issues then what’s the difference? JL & JT are pretty unique construction-wise, so I figured not...other than maybe Ram.