AF: WTF is going on at FCA? | Page 13 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF is going on at FCA?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by aldo90731, Jul 20, 2020.

1. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Just for kicks I built a Gladiator Mojave and a similarly-equipped (e.g., automatic, leather, tow, hardtop, Navi, etc.) Gladiator Overland/North Edition: $60,000 vs $47,000!

That’s a huge price difference!

2. aldo90731

For some reason AEV appears much less involved with JL/JT than it did with JK. When JK came out AEV had a good selection of top-quality parts and accessories lined up. Many were even sold by Jeep dealers as a Mopar parts.

That’s not the case with JL/JT. I don’t know if AEV collaborating with GM on the Chevy Bison soured its relationship with FCA, or if the Jeep-AEV collaboration was already unraveling. But AEV accessories for JL are only a trickle.

Teraflex appears to be emerging as the preeminent aftermarket supplier for this generation of Jeeps.

HotCarNut likes this.
  3. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Heard that the relationship was strained even prior to JL launch. Not sure why as AEV really did a lot for Jeep and the Jeeper community...

aldo90731 likes this.
  4. WXman

WXman Active Member

That's one of the most desirable trucks on the market in my area. That was right before the emissions and fuel system changes really started to ramp up on those models rendering them less reliable and more expensive. Guys here will pay a hefty premium for an early 2000s Cummins, especially if the body is still rust-free and maintained. There's a big push happening right now back to the older trucks, and those early 2000s Cummins are the creme of the crop.

Pure rumor and hearsay, but what I've heard is that Jeep didn't give aftermarket companies like AEV as much early access to JL as they did the prior models because Jeep wanted to rake in $$$ through their own line of Mopar accessories. So, the aftermarket kind of got the cold shoulder. Also, the Gladiator ended up being eerily similar to the AEV Brute conversion which didn't exactly make AEV happy. Hence, a "spat" began between AEV and Jeep. Again, that's just what I heard. I'm not on the inside at all.

HotCarNut, tlc and Doug D like this.
  5. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Interesting, I'd heard that AEV was part of the Gladiator... I'd assumed they were paid for their work but I wouldn't be that surprised if they weren't. They were definitely involved in the original Mopar conversion kit. It's a shame if they were dealt out without comp.

HotCarNut and gforce2002 like this.
  6. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Though, it would not shock me. To use an expression that my parents used, they would “pinch a penny until it screamed.”

aldo90731 likes this.
  7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Indeed. Buddy of mine has a '03 3500 (not a dually) with the 5.9L Cummins/6 speed manual. Really nice truck. For the first 100K miles he got 22 mpg and after 100K it went up by 2 mpg to 24 mpg. I told him, "You finally broke it in."

I'd love to find one. Don't see many of them around here. Mostly new or near new Ram 1500's, F150's and smattering of Silverado's. An early 2000 HD Ram is a rare bird.

8. jackdev73

jackdev73 Active Member

Classy title for this thread.

9. aldo90731

Sometimes sugarcoating is unnecessary.

10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

From additional reading, it seems there is a good bit more frame flex where the steering box is mounted on the JL/JT frame than one might expect.

11. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Amen to that!

aldo90731 likes this.
  12. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Yep.

Exactly. This is the vehicle that makes Jeep what people think it is when they hear the word. It is because of the strength of that image that they can get away with selling pedestrian FWD Renegades, Compasses, and Cherokees. They can't afford to screw that up.

tlc, valiant67 and aldo90731 like this.
  13. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

By offering so many FWD pedestrian models, haven't they already ^&*(*^ that up?

Those pedestrian models could easily been divided up between Chrysler and Dodge.

I feel bad now...This is sounding like a broken record!:oops:

aldo90731 and CherokeeVision like this.
  14. aldo90731

GM lawyers need a recall or something to get busy.

XRT2SRT and Mr. Fusion like this.
  15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

That would explain a lot. So they got cheap on the frame, or someone screwed up the calculations. That explains why it's taking so long to fix.

valiant67 likes this.
  16. valiant67

valiant67 ...

There are some aftermarket brace options. Even though my Gladiator is stock, I may get under it and see if the frame is deflecting there.

tlc and Dave Z like this.
  17. jerseyjoe

jerseyjoe Plymouth Makes It

My opinion is that the new Bronco looks more jeep like than most
    Jeeps. Roof tooks too squashed to me but I my first car was a 1954 Plymouth, i could ware stetson while driving and getting in and out.

18. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

They experienced the same problem with the second gen trucks like mine. The track bar wears prematurely because of lack of grease zerks. And the make a front end brace for wandering steering like the JLs. Some things never change.

19. aldo90731

The best assessment I’ve seen on the new Bronco so far comes from Bob Lutz:

“My prediction is that the Bronco will be good. Some of its sales will come at Jeep's expense, but some will cannibalize other Ford vehicles. Will it become king of the hill, dethroning the iconic Wrangler? We'll see. Personally, I doubt it—Wrangler will remain the benchmark in the segment.”

— Bob Lutz, Road & Track; July 17, 2020