AF: WTF is going on at FCA? | Page 18 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF is going on at FCA?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by aldo90731, Jul 20, 2020.

1. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

As for instability of Jeep vehicles, is nothing new, at least in Europe (maybe because there are more twisty roads.
    For example, at the time of Jeep Cherokee XJ many arrived new inclined on one side (the driver side), so much that in some vehicles could be noted visually.
    Chrysler was saying at the time that tollerance was 3 cm (about 2 1/4 "). The fix was to put plates in suspension parts to rise the lower side.
    The other problem, that usually was the car going left while braking or in some curves, was due in severa lcases to different distance between front and rear wheels on right side and left side (not parallel axles).

So nothing "new".

2. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Seems to be a situation of old EcoDiesel issues being new to Wrangler owners.

HotCarNut likes this.
  3. aldo90731

True, the stress on the supply lines have affected everyone.

4. Milkman123

Milkman123 Active Member

Came back after a while away and came across this. Would I still be considered a troll for posting a big LoL @ FCA here?

How do you manage to mess up a supposedly "tried and true" engine & trans this bad?

Not even going to touch the steering issue.

Can somebody confirm has FCA cut labour costs by hiring only fresh graduate engineers with zero automotive experience? This really blows my mind.

5. aldo90731

This one popped up this morning:

“I just had a new turbo installed with less than 4K miles. Right after I got it back and parked it in the garage, a rear shock leaked oil. What else can I expect to fail?”

—Toad2.0, 2018 JL 2.0T
    To be fair, this is the first post I've seen on JL with turbo issues.

gforce2002 likes this.
  6. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

“Owning a Jeep is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get.”

It’s like having an aged pet cat with a persistent bladder infection. Every morning you’re expecting a new surprise.

page2171 and aldo90731 like this.
  7. aldo90731

And another one... --edited for brevity

"I was ecstatic when I was finally able to drive my brand new 2020 JLU home on July 30th. On August 15th I noticed acceleration issues and took it straight back to the dealership. I'm being told that there is misfire on cylinder one and it needs the engine replaced due to faulty spark plug installation?? It has 600 miles on it. I am beside myself, I've had it for a little over 2 weeks and already a new engine? Do I have this replaced or do I start the process for a new replacement Jeep? Please help... Any advice would be much appreciated. Below is a portion of the email that I received from the service department today."

--Alanaloo, St Louis, MO
    Holy cr-p, 2 weeks and 600 miles; this has to be a new record.

PS - the dealer sounds willing to help this poor soul work with FCA in getting a new Jeep.

HotCarNut and UN4GTBL like this.
  8. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

I looked at the problem description and what he reported being said by the dealership (since it looked to me strange the part "eplaced due to faulty spark plug installation".

Well the problem he had is that was missing the ground of the spak plug, than FCA decided that to have risks it was better to replace the engine instead of repair it.

"... Since the vehicle was received so late on Saturday, we were not able to get in and diagnose this issue until Monday morning. Diagnostic vehicle scan report showed a Cylinder 1 misfire code that was active, thus causing the running concern you were experiencing. Our tech removed the spark plug from cylinder #1 and noticed that the ground (metal hook that creates spark when the electrode on the plug fires) was broken off and missing. At this point, since the vehicle was so new, our technician reached out to FCA engineering regarding next step. FCA responded with complete engine replacement as the repair for this concern assuming that the metal ground from the spark plug may have caused damage to the engine internally. ..."

9. aldo90731

This particular owner came online to ask if (a) she should accept to have the engine replaced, or (2) take them on the offer to get a new Jeep.

My advise to her was to take the new Jeep. It was going to take longer, have to jump through more hoops, but it was the "fair" thing to do for someone with a 2-week old Jeep that only has 600 miles on the odometer.

She decided to keep the Jeep and have the motor replaced. Her brand-new Jeep is now going to show forever and ever that it had the engine replaced at 600 miles. That is going to take a lot of explaining the day she decides to sell it or trade it in. Unfortunately, at that point, none of the technical circumstances that caused the engine to be replaced will matter.

XRT2SRT, UN4GTBL, Zagnut27 and 2 others like this.
  10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Here's the thing. I've noticed a tendency to "gloss over" major repairs on the repairs summary. From experience, I know the DDCT clutch assembly repair on my Fiat 500 showed some generic service that greatly underestimated the complexity of the repairs. So someone looking at FCA's owner site or a CARFAX had no idea of the major repairs on my car. Yes, the paperwork at the time of the repair reflected it, but a subsequent owner wouldn't know.

HotCarNut and aldo90731 like this.
  11. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

I personally would prefer a new vehicle, not because of the future sale, but because You not always the job is done following the service manuals, in particular for tightening torque values and sometimes happens that some extra damages are made but nothing is said to customer.

XRT2SRT, UN4GTBL and ScramFan like this.
  12. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Some folks have a particular interest or love of said vehicle. Maybe it was a first in some way. If the dealer is competent, and it appears it is, then she should be happy with it.

HotCarNut and MJAB like this.
  13. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This came from a mechanic on Reddit.
    New Gladiator with less than 2600 miles on the Pentastar 3.6
    How the heck does one of the camshafts rust?

14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I haven't looked around on the JL forums yet, but on the Gladiator forums the TSB for the new steering box seems to be a success.

Adventurer55, XRT2SRT, MJAB and 2 others like this.
  15. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Well, if she keeps it as long as I kept my Liberty...literally until the wheels (& everything else) fell off (almost), then it won’t matter a hill of beans. For the normal folks who trade in or sell, well...they’ll obviously feel differently. :D

aldo90731 and tlc like this.
  16. aldo90731

Indeed. I'd still rather have the option, though.

UN4GTBL and Zagnut27 like this.
  17. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Are there photos of what they changed?

18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I haven't seen pictures of the new box. But I look at mine and it's clearly made of aluminum and unpainted.
    The new part number is supposedly a steel box painted black - but I am only going on descriptions from those who have had the work done.

XRT2SRT and MJAB like this.
  19. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I did find a couple of pictures.
    Here is the old Gladiator box. it is actually the AI according to the decal.
    oldbox.jpg
    Here is a picture I found on a Wrangler forum of one of the new Wrangler boxes.
    newbox.jpeg

MJAB and tlc like this.
  20. aldo90731

The black box looks like something pulled out of a Ford T...