AF: WTF is going on at FCA? | Page 20 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF is going on at FCA?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by aldo90731, Jul 20, 2020.

1. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

saltydog likes this.
  2. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I've often said this in the past here, but quality improvement efforts must have a champion in upper management who will encourage (or force) buy-in by the competing departments and interests. Without that level of support and enforcement, many efforts are dead on arrival. It doesn't matter how much of an expert you are in your field, or whether your project or solution is effective or not, if your upper level boss doesn't see the need or understand the benefit...or just because it wasn't their idea...then you'll probably just end up spinning your wheels.

Lord knows I've experienced enough of that firsthand. Just a few of the many reasons why I am very glad I am no longer in management. Happy to be a grunt, I am.

3. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

That's right out of Deming. Top Level Leadership MUST drive change, or it will never happen.

4. WXman

WXman Active Member

Got a recall notice yesterday on my 2020 Ram. Apparently the factory installed floor mat can cause the accelerator pedal to get "stuck".

My guess is that people aren't snapping them in place properly. In 7 months I have never had a single issue. And I don't really want the dealer to "trim" my floor mat because that defeats the purpose of keeping junk off the carpet. Sigh...

saltydog and HotCarNut like this.
  5. chcharlie

chcharlie Member

i have found that more emphasis is placed on numbers than actual adherence to wcm principals. with no in depth analysis, those who pencil whip the reports are allowed to continue to game the system. remember the old adage"figures don't lie, but liars figure".
    in my plant, i found long ago that the annual kaizan quota was acheived by a few submitting many. one employee was recognized at a LARGE townhall meeting for over 200 kaizans. how many were implemented u mite ask? perhaps 2. now, he no longer bothers.
    a former plant manager once asked me if i was aware that several managerial openings existed. i replied that i wasnt that stupid. he asked what i meant, i replied that i would probably get fired without union protection; when i told others that denied my points to "go fly a kite". he said he understood my position.

page2171, Zagnut27, Tony K and 2 others like this.
  6. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

ShawnP, wvutuba, XRT2SRT and 6 others like this.
  7. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

It really seems to be the norm these days. Since I retired from my job of over 30 years in 2013 I've worked for two of the large auto parts chains, and have worked for the last almost 5 years for a big box home improvement store. It really isn't a bad place to work, but there are so many missed opportunities to make the shopping and work experience even better. It can become disheartening if you let it. The ones I feel for are the young folks trying to get ahead and support their families.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  8. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

From my understanding, it is an issue when the pedals are at their lowest or a really low position

WXman and Tony K like this.
  9. aldo90731

Indeed. For a culture of quality to exist, it needs to come from the top.

Unfortunately, so does a culture of mediocrity.

10. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Lots of things can roll or flow down a hill from the top. However, it’s the people at the top who determine what goes downhill. You can shower the employees below with perfume or flowers, or you can douse them in poop and pee. Which fosters a more healthy work environment and better exchanges of ideas? However, too often managers see dousing their employees with poop and pee as a way to “keep them in line”.

11. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the visual I won't be able to get out of my head. :(

12. WXman

WXman Active Member

Sigh... now our 2018 Cherokee has begun to randomly stall and shut off this week. We're at 37,000 miles so no bumper to bumper to cover it. Dealer says $110 to do a "diagnostic check" assuming that it just needs a software update. The 2019s are under recall to fix this issue for free, but being a 2018 we're having to pay for it.

13. Adventurer55

Call customer service. Since it's this close in miles they may take care of you.

tlc, WXman, Tony K and 2 others like this.
  14. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Is it a 2.4L? That engine has well known oil-burning issues, and when the oil is low it will suddenly shut down without warning.

WXman and valiant67 like this.
  15. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

Would that include a non-powered mock-up of a Semi Truck??:p:D

Tony K and Zagnut27 like this.
  16. aldo90731

This just popped up today. It’s worth reading.

RANT - Over Jeep, their Dealers and FIAT

I just need to rant, so there's a lot below. My JL is my 6th Wrangler, and may very well be my last, unless I go back to YJs and TJs. The last 7 weeks have been a huge PITA, and everyone from my Dealer to FIAT has pissed me off beyond belief. I've been so patient, but I am over it. If you care to humor me, my story is below.

Seven weeks ago, I was driving and got a check engine light, as well as a "stop safely, vehicle will shut off soon" message along with CEL and ESC lights. I was a mile from home, so I got there, parked it and had it towed to the dealer where I bought it, Newnan CDJR in Newnan, GA. (8/12). It is outside my covered area, and I pay an extra $50 to get it there since i assume I will be treated ok, since I bought it there and have been there for service before. Hah.

Over the next 2 weeks, I received no to very little updates about any progress or what was being done. I had a case with @JeepCares opened from day 1. I honestly don't know what their purpose is. They can't seem to make dealers do anything. Maybe they can expedite parts, but that's it.

Anyway, those 2 weeks go by, they call me and tell me they replaced both batteries, come pick it up. I guess it takes a week per battery, whatever. I pay to Uber there ($50), and pick it up. I stop for gas a mile down the road, and when I am pulling out, CEL light, ESC light and Autopark Disengaged messages come on. I immediately take it back. Once I park it at the dealer, it won't start. Shifter flashes. Same lights and warnings. Also, while waiting for them to figure out their next move, I noticed they had scratched up my front fender in the previous 2 weeks it was there. They assure me they'll fix it. Since I am with it this time, I also get a loaner vehicle. (8/28). Side note: I did talk them into doing the steering TSB while it was up there, so at least that did get done fairly simply. I did check, too, and the steering box is the new part number and is black, so I know they did it.

Two more weeks go by. During this time, it's more of the same - JeepCares can't get in touch with my service advisor for actual updates. I get transferred until it rings too much and I get sent to a voicemail box when I call, and can't get in touch with anyone who has a clue. I have no idea what's happening. Finally, I am told that it's the starter, they're expediting one, and will install it and then fix my fender. That was a Thursday (9/10). Jeep Cares confirmed it was delivered the following Monday (9/14) I hear nothing all week. Finally, that Friday (9/18) I call and speak to the service department manager who says the starter is in route and should be there that day. I ask how that's possible since FIAT confirmed delivery on 9/14. I get no answer. Monday comes and goes, no update. On Tuesday (9/22) I call and speak to the dealer's GSM. He is transferring the case to his "most senior service advisor", tells me the part will be installed that day, and I can either pick it up, or wait for them to schedule paint to get the fender fixed. I tell them I don't want it until everything is done. It takes them another week + to get it painted, but they call me yesterday (10/1) to pick it up. Finally, it's over and I can get my jeep back. Hah.

I make it home (35 miles) with no issues. I park it for a few hours, and decide to get lunch. Go to crank it up, and it doesn't start. Same symptoms as when I had to bring it back. There's no way it's going back to Newnan at this point.

I call FIAT roadside and tell them to take it to a pretty popular dealer about 18-24 miles away from me, depending on how you go. I am in Atlanta, and chose Gwinnett CDJR. They tell me it'll be $134 since that is not the closest dealer. The closest dealer is 19 miles away. I ask them why they would not cover to them since it is basically the same distance, and they just say "the system says it's not covered." They give me a list of dealers that are covered (Ed Voyles, Don Jackson, Atlanta West, Landmark). Whatever, it's late in the afternoon. I decide I'll call Ed Voyles, since they are the only in that list I remotely trust (but just barely), see how long it'll be to get to it, and have it towed the following day, Friday (10/2). I call back this morning to schedule the tow, and after having to repeat EVERYTHING (VIN, symptoms, address, etc) even though I was told I wouldn't have to, they set up the tow. I get a text and check the status. They sent a FREAKING JUMP START SERVICE. Even after I confirmed the destination address and tow with the Roadside Agent. I call AGAIN. I have to repeat everything AGAIN. Luckily, I finally get a lady that sounds like she has a brain in her head, she can't understand everything I have gone through up to this point, asks me where I want to get it taken to, and quickly gets a flatbed dispatched. 30 minutes later, it's on its way to Marietta.

If you have made it this far, thanks for reading. Ed Voyles already told me it'll likely be late next week before they can look at it, but I am so over everything at this point, and at least they are setting my expectations up front. Luckily, thanks to COVID I don't need my Jeep for work since I am working from home, and we can use my girlfriend's car for everything else. But JFC. From my original dealer scratching the vehicle and not telling me, not actually fixing it after 7 weeks, not communicating and their general lack of competence, to Jeep Care's lack of actual caring, to Roadside's inability to set up a simple tow, I am over all levels of the Jeep experience. Bring on the Bronco. I'm sure Ford's experience isn't much better, but they at least haven't given me a reason to hate them yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I just don’t get this attitude on the part of businesses...and it can be any business or service...that customer service is just not important. It just blows my mind. And communication is one of the biggest and easiest things you can do to show a customer that you care about them, and so often it is neglected or nonexistent. As a former manager and business owner, treating customers this badly is completely foreign to me.

18. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Once again, premium prices should warrant premium experiences. But, no.

19. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Ya think? :p

gforce2002, page2171 and Adventurer55 like this.
  20. Adventurer55

I truly believe it's a combination of some bad dealers mixed in with a corporation that cuts corners with help for dealers as well. Dealers are so afraid they won't be reimbursed for warranty parts or labor, that they just drag things out. It's been bad for years, but had gotten much worse since Fiat rolled into town.