AF: WTF is going on at FCA? | Page 21 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF is going on at FCA?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by aldo90731, Jul 20, 2020.

1. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Honestly, it really seems to depend on the dealer even MORE these days. I have a pretty good relationship with a dealer out here in Denver, and they take care of things quickly. First, I treat them extremely well and bought the vehicle there. Second, I have the Lifetime warranty and get all of the oil changes done there. Third, they’re part of a huge national group, so they have leverage with FCA that small dealers simply don’t have. My point is simply this - while it shouldn’t matter what dealer you go to or where you take your vehicle for basic maintenance, it absolutely does. Service advisors are people too. I’ve been cultivating that relationship since the day I moved out here (service advisor, dealership GM, new & used sales managers). Oddly enough, my service experience is always positive and they treat me well because they know me. I’m not just an angry random person pulling up and unloading on them because something went wrong.

2. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

This popped up yesterday:

Second long trip with the eco diesel and the third service shop stop

New 2020 JLUR diesel. Now we are on the way to Moab and 1400 miles from home. Electric throttle problem and turbo problem. Dealers in Idaho, then two dealers in Utah. Currently in Brigham city Jeep awaiting another diagnosis. Third night camped in a Jeep dealers parking lot. Fun.

[​IMG]

HotCarNut likes this.
  3. aldo90731

That looks like a $60,000 JLURD...!

Stories like this make me cringe.

4. aldo90731

You are correct: while it shouldn’t matter what dealer you go to or where you take your vehicle for basic maintenance, it absolutely does.

Unfortunately, I now live in a small city with only 1 CDJR dealership. While it is the 2nd highest-volume dealer in town —the Toyota dealer is tops with twice the monthly sales volume, they seem to have a hard time hiring and retaining staff. Service Advisors come and go every six months. In the 3 years I’ve lived here, I’ve dealt with 4 different ones. The prior one was the absolutely worst. He was afraid of the service manager, which rendered him useless. The current SA is pretty good, but I can’t get my hopes up because he may be gone next time I go back to the dealership.

HotCarNut likes this.
  5. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

As a person that is going to be in the market for a new or slightly used 1500 in the coming months, it is rather troublesome to read this stuff. The dealer crap is nothing new, but having multiple issues right out of the box seems to be getting worse, not better. My reason for getting something newer is our main vehicle is 14 years old and has 206,000 miles. I have replaced most everything in the suspension and driveline including the engine, but we want to take some longer trips and we'd like to have something with way less miles and would hopefully be less likely to break down on a trip. Now it has me wondering what to do.

HotCarNut and aldo90731 like this.
  6. aldo90731

FCA quality appears to have taken a turn for the worse this year.

At the very least, I’d wait for COVID to be over.

7. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Well-Known Member

What about the possibility of renting a vehicle? In the event something goes wrong with the rental vehicle, I would think they would do their best to replace the one you have with a different and perhaps lower mileage one. Or, maybe even a more premium one for the same price . In order to to compensate you for the unfortunate breakdown which should not have happened.

8. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

When our Commander's original engine was getting near the 200,000 mark it began showing symptoms of a head gasket going south. My wife drives it to work 9 miles everyday so if it decided to let go, which it eventually did, it was within our tow range on our insurance. So for a couple of years we rented cars when we took a trip. I have nothing against renting a car, we both however would like a new or almost new vehicle. I am 60 and haven't had a new car since I was 42 and I still have it. She is 58 and has had the Commander for 8 years. My truck is still worth quite a bit as it's the last second gen Cummins 2500 made in 2002 and is in excellent shape. We don't need that heavy of truck anymore so a 1500 would be perfect. I do however believe that a good extended warranty will have to be included in whatever deal I make.

tlc, HotCarNut and aldo90731 like this.
  9. unverferth

unverferth Well-Known Member

It appears that the "new" diesel is starting out like the "old" one. Sigh.

page2171, aldo90731, tlc and 2 others like this.
  10. wvutuba

wvutuba Well-Known Member

I had another doozy of a service experience at my local CDJR dealer a couple of weekends ago. It was finally bad enough that I reached out to Jeep to let them know. As expected, I got a form letter response which did nothing to resolve the issue at hand, but I at least wanted to document it. I also left a negative review with the dealer online, though I'm sure that will do nothing as well.

Before going in for service (oil change, tire rotation), I printed a coupon from the Mopar Owner Dashboard. I got to the dealer a few minutes early and had a nice chat with another Jeep owner there for service. He told me all about how he had a TJ that he finally traded in for a JLUR. We both had to stand around for a bit waiting on a service advisor to greet us, but it was a nice day out so it wasn't much of a hassle. We finally were greeted, and I went in to the service waiting area to give him my keys. At this time, I presented the coupon for a full synthetic oil change. He took it, started to read it, and then informed me that he didn't know how to process it. I thought this was odd because I had used a similar coupon at this dealership, so I tried to explain that to him. He then told me that it was a service agreement which I would have to purchase through the sales department. I tried to point out that I wasn't trying to buy the "3 oil changes for $100" but rather the "1 oil change for $45.95" however that didn't make a difference. Somewhat defeated, I said okay and walked over to the sales department to purchase a service agreement.

Upon walking into sales, I was greeted by three enthusiastic people at the door. I explained to all of them why I was there, and immediately their demeanor changed as they realized I wasn't there to trade in the 2014 Jeep Wrangler they had seen me drive onto the lot. I explained why I was there, and a man seated behind the main desk in the center of the lobby asked if he could see the coupon. He read it, then told me the service department "does this all of the time." He then told me to grab one of his cards, take it to the service advisor, and have the service advisor call him because he "didn't know his extension." So, according to this guys card, he was an executive sales manager...but he doesn't know the extension of the service department at his dealership. That reeked of BS to me because when I call their main number, I only have to press 2 to get to service.

Flabbergasted by how trying to use a coupon was being ping-ponged around to various people, I took his card back to the service department. Then I started to relay the information that been given to me. The service advisor cut me off mid-sentence and said that he "doesn't have time for this." I tried to continue and he cut me off again and said that he "doesn't know how to to process it." He then told me that "he isn't a manager," and "doesn't want to be a manager" because apparently that would require him to be able to process a coupon. At this point, I gave up. My Jeep had already been taken around to be serviced, so I just asked what the cost of the full-synthetic oil change would be, and said okay. I left to run some errands as it was not worth my time to argue with them over a $30 difference, and my girlfriend had already been waiting for me in the parking lot.

To add to the hilarity of the fact that I had about 5 people tell me they weren't able to process a Mopar coupon, the same coupon is available on the dealer's website. Same fine print and all. And it says at the bottom to see Service Advisor for details. Well, I certainly hope in the future that the service advisor learns what the details are. The only positive from this experience is that I did end up getting a slightly discounted oil change. I believe the Service Advisor realized that he had made a mistake in his unwillingness to help me and offered me the discount to make amends.

On another note, this morning my girlfriend's 2014 RAM EcoDiesel is at the shop today getting the fuel pump replaced, which is apparently a common problem with them. Fortunately, her extended warranty is covering the cost of this repair. She's currently looking for a replacement truck, though regardless of whether or not she has found a replacement, she plans to trade or sell it the day before her extended warranty expires. She hasn't quite settled on what she would like to replace it with but I know for certain it won't be a RAM.

11. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I would never go back to that dealer again.

XRT2SRT, AvengerGuy and tlc like this.
  12. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

My brother lived in Jacksonville, and three Dodge dealers there in the 1990s were dishonest to varying degrees. One actually poured brake fluid on the outside of his booster, and claimed that the master cylinder was leaking and had to be replaced. He declined, drove it away, and to this day (29 years old), that brake booster and master cylinder work fine (although paint is missing).
    Some dealers will stoop to unbelievable levels to rip people off. Others are just incompetent.

XRT2SRT and HotCarNut like this.
  13. aldo90731

@wvutuba It could very well be that Mopar has all these coupons up on its website that dealers can't activate.

The stuff coming out of the Mopar division has been full of issues in recent months, from parts that are over-priced but under-deliver, to a website full of glitches and errors, to everything in between.

wvutuba likes this.
  14. wvutuba

@aldo90731 Very possible. Though I will add, in a separate occurrence at the same dealership a few weeks prior, my father was able to use said coupon. However, he is a much more persistent man than I and he waited 2-3 hours until they took care of it. I only found out about his ordeal after I had gone through it myself. I have full confidence that they'll get all of this ironed out before the Grand Wagoneer hits dealers. I can't wait for the new and improved CDJR service experience that I'm sure they're working tirelessly on creating. :p

@Bob Lincoln Yup, I won't be going back there. I kept telling myself I wouldn't after some other poor experiences (nothing to that degree but still annoying), but the fact that it is a 5 minute drive from my house always brought me back. Unfortunately at this point, poor dealer experiences, poor ownership experiences by people I know, and lack of product that I would want in my price range have really soured me on Mopars in general.

Adventurer55, HotCarNut and aldo90731 like this.
  15. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Apparently FCA must have underestimated the number of unhappy JT owners because it didn't take long for the new JT steering box mentioned in the TSB to go on national backorder. No idea of the status on the JL parts.

Some JT boxes appear to be trickling in now.

16. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

He literally said he “doesn’t have time for this” and he “doesn’t want to be a manager”? I would’ve asked him if he wanted to continue to work there. And then I would’ve found his manager or a manager of the dealership. Doesn’t have time for it? That’s literally his job, to listen to and respond to the questions and concerns of the customer. Un-freakin-believable. But I can’t say that I’m surprised. I had a shuttle driver openly complaining about how far he had to drive...for the customers. If you don’t want to do your job, please quit so someone else can have a job. The apparent lack of customer service training (or absorption...or buy-in) is astounding.

And I’m not trying to beat you up for how you handled it. You did what you thought best in the moment, and picked your battle. As I did when the moron shuttle driver was pissing and moaning about his job. I figured it wasn’t my usual dealer, so not worth the fight...and not worth going back either.

Now ask me why I’m hesitant to put down $50-60k on a new FCA vehicle of any kind. Customers have a choice about where they spend their money, and if you treat them like crap, they’re going to go elsewhere. Either another dealer or another brand. It’s not rocket science.

And think about the value of that coupon. In the grand scheme of things, the value of that coupon won’t make or break that dealer, and it wouldn’t break you either. Simply saying something like, “gee I don’t know how to process that, but we can give you a discount that’ll come close if that works for you.” Think about how much better that would’ve probably made the customer feel instead of alienating them and making them feel like they aren’t important and their concerns don’t matter. Like the saying goes, they won’t remember what you said or did, but they’ll always remember how you made them feel.

#416 Zagnut27, Oct 14, 2020 at 10:24 AM
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020 at 10:30 AM
  17. wvutuba

@Zagnut27 - Not only did he say verbatim that he "doesn't have time for this," but he cut me off to do so. This was my first time dealing with that particular service advisor, though it was also my last time fooling with that dealership for service or a future vehicle purchase.

Dealerships may be separate entities from the manufacturers, but they're also the face of the manufacturers to many consumers. I think FCA has forgotten this somewhere along the way.

18. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Back in 1985 when I moved back to Virginia from Colorado, I needed service for my '79 Monza I had purchased used in Colorado so I had taken it to the nearest Chevrolet dealership. First question out the service advisor's mouth was, "Did you buy it here?" It wasn't so much the question, but the manner in which he asked it which caused me to not visit that dealership for nearly 35 years. He had to know that a 6 year old car was more than likely not covered under warranty whether I purchased it there or not.

19. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

Typical dealership with terrible "rule by iron fist" management and they wonder why they can't keep anyone.

Tony K and aldo90731 like this.
  20. aldo90731

I’m not sure FCA ever cared. FCA relationships with suppliers, dealers and customers are all at all-time lows. I don’t know what is like to work there these days, but chances are it can’t be very good.