AF: WTF is going on at FCA? | Page 22 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF is going on at FCA?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by aldo90731, Jul 20, 2020.

1. 55Plaza

55Plaza Well-Known Member

You think that`s bad. In 1975 I bought my first new car a 1975 Dart Custom from the dealership in the town closest to my parents farm. The dealership in the town where I worked was owned by the 2 sons of the dealer from whom I bought my car. When I went for warranty work, they said pretty much the same thing `You want service, you should have bought your car here`. I would have but they wanted several more hundred$ for a 1975 Duster, /6, vinyl seats than their Dad charged me for the Dart, 318, cloth seats, etc. ;)

2. WXman

WXman Active Member

And another blown Gen 3 engine in a Ram today:

Attached Files:

3. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

They'd best get this problem resolved like YESTERDAY before it does further damage to the brand and VM diesel.

XRT2SRT likes this.
  4. wvutuba

wvutuba Well-Known Member

My girlfriend got her Ecodiesel back from the dealer with a new fuel pump on Tuesday evening. During the 20 mile drive, it threw another check engine light. She took it back Wednesday morning. They looked at it and determined that DEF is spewing into places it shouldn't be (this is the 3rd or 4th time it's been in the shop for a DEF related issue). They are keeping it for two weeks because they don't have all of the parts and it isn't drivable. They gave her a 2020 Cherokee as a loaner, but that won't haul her horse if he gets sick again and has to go back to the equine hospital in Kentucky.

She has 6000 miles left on the warranty she purchased with it. We're going to go test drive trucks this weekend.

5. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

EcoDiesel has become an endless topic of negative posts on the Internet.

Owners of brand-new EcoDiesels are posting all sorts of problems on the JL/JT forums, while another band of EcoDiesel owners defend their purchase, claiming that they haven't had any issues in the first 5,000 miles! LOL

HotCarNut likes this.
  6. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

On the bright side, at least FCA didn't waste a bunch of money changing to a different name for the latest generation EcoDiesels. It would be a shame to spend a bunch of money changing the name because of the lousy reputation of the previous generation only to come out with a new generation that is earning a lousy reputation.

aldo90731 likes this.
  7. aldo90731

That’s one very small consolation...LOL

HotCarNut and page2171 like this.
  8. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Call me when they have 100,000 miles. Friend of mine has a '03 Ram 3500 5.9L diesel. When it rolled over 100K miles his fuel mileage got better - he finally had broken the engine in! Gotta love those old 5.9's. IF I could lay my hands on an early 2000's HD with Cummins and a good body I'd be set.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a diesel, but I'm not willing to pay the nearly $10K difference for a Cummins and the jury is still out on the EcoDiesel reliability/durability. I'll just keep going with my '06 Hemi that now has over 271K miles and purrs like a kitten. :)

aldo90731 likes this.
  9. aldo90731

Remember how Marchionne wanted Jeep to emulate Land Rover’s business model? I’d say Jeep is well on its way.

This short video is worth watching

10. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

You can add the 2019-2020 Ram HD Cummins 6.7 l engine engines to your list ...

After the water pump recall, a more serious one that could potentially damage the block. Not adeguate oil during warm-up can cause damages till puncture the engine block.
    Ram 3500, 4500 and 5500 Recalled For Fire Risk (at https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2020/ram-3500-4500-and-5500-recalled-fire-risk.shtml )

p.s.: this engines are sourced by Cummins that is the one also certifying the engine at EPA (it is not FCA that does the certification process).

ScramFan and T_690 like this.
  11. XRT2SRT

XRT2SRT Well-Known Member

Looks like someone had better start talks with CUMMINS, and quickly. I am now removing the FIAT 3.0L TURBO DIESEL and it's host platforms from my shopping list, indefinitely! Can't trust them to get this worked out anymore...

thebluegoat likes this.
  12. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

For what? The Cummins V motor is unimpressive where one of diesel's big selling points is key in half-tons: fuel economy. I can get 18-19 MPG from a half ton gasser unloaded, which is how most of these truck are going to spend most of their time anyway. The Nissan Titan XD Diesel itself is no more after 3 years.

It's an 80% new engine. Give FCA a few minutes to straighten things out. I wouldn't buy a brand new engine, either. As for pickup diesels, anything in the future I HOPE is an Inline 6 project of about 4.5 liters +/-.

ScramFan likes this.
  13. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

VM 3.0 is not a Fiat engine, just to acknoledge You. Is one of the "traditional" suppliers of Chrysler since decades.

ScramFan likes this.
  14. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

The consumer shouldn't be FCA's beta testers. The bugs should be worked out before going into production. We shouldn't have to give them a minute to get things straightened out.

Doug D, thebluegoat and valiant67 like this.
  15. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Nobody's disagreeing, but tell me one product introduction that went off without a few hiccups?

16. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

I think "Hiccups" is a fairly big understatement. Nowhere near the GM Olds/pickup fiasco.

17. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Isn't that what testing is for?

The Ecodiesel has been out since 2014 and has had problems since inception. You'd think in 6 years FCA would have figured it out.

Right now, I would not touch one with a ten foot pole.

18. hmk123

Level III Supporter

The Internet is a wonderful resource. But it might also make things look worse than they are. People who don’t have problems usually don’t post. It for sure can at times show trends, like the timing chain failures on 5.7 Challengers back in 2012. Or these steering and maybe Diesel engines issues. However, one can also get the impression that the sky is falling all the time. I always keep telling myself car companies wouldn’t be in business anymore if warranty costs kept growing out of control. Does FCA publish theirs in their quarterly reports? News like this would be concerning:
    Hyundai, Kia warn of $2.9B earnings hit over engine issues (at https://www.autoblog.com/2020/10/19/hyundai-kia-earnings-engine-problem-costs/ )

ScramFan, Tony K and T_690 like this.
  19. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Yes and Hyundai Kia had engine issues far worse then anything FCA has had in recent years. Complete engine failures

T_690 likes this.
  20. aldo90731

I never paid much attention to posts by owners having problems with their vehicles...until it started happening to me.