AF: WTF is going on at FCA? | Page 8 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF is going on at FCA?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by aldo90731, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Maybe this is just your JL/JT’s way of saying slow down...you’re driving too fast. Do you know what the speed limit is? Holy cow, you’re driving like a bat out of heck. Where’s the fire? Come on Speed Racer, slow down!

And then you respond....

03A126B0-D9C7-4233-9D9D-E41CF9B01C7B.jpeg

2. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Like everything else, this helps some, but not all. Some people have success with reflash, some with AE box, others have found loose bolts or sloppy bushings. Some run way lower tire pressure and some do not see a fix until after adjusting the box.

Plus if FCA was really loading 2 door calibrations on 4 door PCMs, the EPA would be all over that and there’d be a recall. If think the dealer story is BS.

3. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Here’s a new thread. This one is on the new JL EcoDiesel that just hit the market:

—Edited for brevity—

Hi everyone,

I have a 2020 Unlimited Rubicon with the EcoDiesel engine.

The issue: When stopped in traffic, the ESS system did as designed shutting the engine off. When the light turned green and releasing the brake, the engine did not turn on. Hitting the gas multiple times did nothing, basically a dead stick stick in the middle of the road. Once hitting the brake and releasing again, the engine turned on and away we went.

...I had posted a similar thread of the first occurrence a few weeks ago. This time my brother was driving and I was in the passenger seat. In traffic my brother started saying wtf wtf it won’t go? I look over and see him hitting the gas pedal over and over. He tried pushing the on/off engine start button and was somewhat quickly fiddling around trying to start as we were in traffic.

...Now after the second occurrence, I took it back to the dealer again asking them to check it again. Same thing, no alarms found when scanning, nothing they could find. I asked them to double check any fuses, relays, the brake switch etc to make sure all was tight etc. They claim everything was checked and thereis nothing they can do since they themselves can not replicate it.
    Given FCA’s quality reputation, how much FCA depends on Wranglers for profits, and how much it charges for these things, the least it could do is implement a 90-Day program by which every vehicle that comes out of the plant with a new engine, a new transmission, whatever, gets thoroughly tested, to avoid these embarrassing situations.

jclick likes this.
  4. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

[sigh] don't they test these things? (I know they did...)

UN4GTBL, HotCarNut and aldo90731 like this.
  5. aldo90731

When I factory ordered a 2012 Challenger SRT, after FCA bought back that 2012 Chrysler 300S, they held my car at the plant for an extraordinary, additional thorough check. The process added 1 week to my delivery. But Mr. Doug Betts, then VP of Quality, assumed correctly, that FCA couldn’t afford a customer to experience any more quality gaffes.

FCA ought to implement a similar step for all brand-new vehicles coming out of the plant. Yes, it will cost money, but the negative buzz created by these situations ends up costing much more.

hemi_magnum, UN4GTBL, tlc and 3 others like this.
  6. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

A friend’s ‘19 Cherokee did the same thing when it was new, except they had to turn the vehicle completely off (in the intersection) and then restart. I think they said the dealer reflashed something though and it hasn’t recurred. But that restart system has been on the Cherokee since it came out. Why the heck would it still be a software problem?

7. gforce2002

Yep, the one I drove was a brand new 2020 and did it. Unless the problem he’s describing is even worse.

8. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I’ve heard that re-flashing didn’t working for everyone.

As far as the ESS, it can still be disabled at start up? I think that’d be part of my routine every time I started my vehicle. Thankfully we don’t have that on any of our current vehicles.

UN4GTBL and jclick like this.
  9. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I've owned Chrysler products for 44 of my 60 years. ESS on one scares the crap out of me. We rented a 19 Cherokee with it and I suppose if you lived in a large city, maybe it would be worth it, but I didn't like it. But if I owned one with this feature it would come disabled from the dealer. I feel about E-Torque the same way, but if people see value in it for them, more power to them.

10. Ryan

Ryan Moderator

ESS surprisingly doesn’t bother me on my Grand Cherokee, at least in operation. I turn it off though because I like cold air coming out of my vents when I’m stopped too, not just when I’m driving.

HotCarNut and thebluegoat like this.
  11. jsucha

jsucha Well-Known Member

12. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

Sounds like cheap supplier parts, wait a couple years and it'll be fixed

Till then...

13. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

From what I understand, yes, ESS can be turned off at start up. Just keep in mind you would have to turn it off every time the vehicle is started. It automatically defaults to "on" upon every start.

Friend of mine has a new F150 (what can I say, he's a Ford guy) with ESS. It cannot be permanently disabled so he has to turn it off every time he starts the truck.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  14. aldo90731

You can disable ESS on JL/JT using a programmer like Tazer. Z Automotive Tazer Mini Programmer

ESS doesn’t bother me enough to make me want to buy a programmer. The new generation of the Pentastar engine is so quiet and refined, ESS works almost unnoticeably. You can hear the motor cranking up; but half the time you can’t really tell if it shut off. I have to look at the tachometer to be able to tell if the engine is on or off.

tlc, Dave Z, HotCarNut and 1 other person like this.
  15. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

This entire thread is doing more to convince me to buy either a new Raptor or new Shelby GT350 than anything I could have imagine two weeks ago. My shopping list WAS Rebel diesel, JL diesel, or a Charger Scatpack Widebody. JL is DEFINITELY off the list and it’s concerning we’re seeing Gen III diesels blowing up like their predecessors. These types of quality issues suck, and I just had my second warranty repair on my 2018 GC at only 55k miles (thank God for the lifetime warranty). I miss Doug Betts...

16. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yeah, I recall Mike V and others mentioning the Tazer in order to disable the ESS permanently. I think they’re a little pricey, IIRC...and I’m cheap...so I think I could just build it into my routine to disable it on startup each time. I’ve never had ESS, so I don’t know how much it would bother me anyway. Some people it bothers, some it doesn’t, and it depends on the vehicle too.

When we finally get around to buying a new vehicle, maybe I’ll find out. Sigh.

tlc and HotCarNut like this.
  17. hmk123

Level III Supporter

I follow what’s going on in the Ford world from time to time and my understanding is the grass isn’t necessarily greener on the other side. Just look at the last Explorer launch which granted was a brand new platform.

tlc, HotCarNut and Dave Z like this.
  18. gforce2002

Just twice? That’s not bad! I’ve lost count how many times my ‘18 Compass has been in but I think it’s around 20. In 55K KMS.

UN4GTBL and HotCarNut like this.
  19. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Absolutely. However, they fixed what pissed me off about my 2016 Shelby (made the additional cooling standard and added more aero downforce front & rear). Not sure about the Raptors personally, but people out here seem to love the damn things and you see them absolutely everywhere.

hmk123 likes this.
  20. aldo90731

Yeah, Ford doesn’t appear to be a fine example of quality, either. GM does the best job among the domestic automakers, according to the JD Power Vehicle Dependability Study. Too bad GM design sucks, inside and out.

UN4GTBL, tlc, Impy55 and 4 others like this.