AF: Your new truck: A "Ram" or "Dodge Ram?" | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your new truck: A "Ram" or "Dodge Ram?"

Discussion in 'Ram, pickups, new Wagoneer, commercial trucks' started by DrDan68108, Sep 29, 2013.

?

Chrysler dropped the name "Dodge" from your 201x truck. You call it a:

1. Ram

22.2%
  2. Dodge Ram

77.8%
  1. raymondo112

raymondo112 Member

It reminds me of how Chrysler had chosen to call their top car Imperial with no Chrysler in it, latter on it Changed to Chrysler Imperial as people still refered to it as that to begin with.

I have owned 2 Dodge trucks in my lifetime, my 87 D-150 LE shortbed 2wd and my 95 Ram 1500 4x4 SLT Laramie 4wd regular cab long bed. My 87 got the most comments on being so nice, it truly was. My 95 is rusty and beat but I love the style, I called them both Dodge Rams, both black, it seems to be a tradition, I hope after the 95 I get an 02-06 ext. cab long bed 4WD with Cummins in black SLT Laramie as well.

To me even the new ones are Dodge Ram's and same to most others even ones that prefer the other brands of truck.

I think like the Imperial will always be a Chrysler, the Ram will always be a Dodge.

I won't ever just refer to the new ones as just being Ram's it sounds too weird and so does the Imperial without using Chrysler before it.

2. Ramtime

Ramtime New Member

Ditto,I always have like the design of the 1946 Powerwagon,just check that bumper,makes my BoonDock bumper look different for sure,and that winch.Look at the size of the drum.

3. tazdevil

tazdevil Member

Dodge won WWII with vehicles perfected for war usage, at reduced cost. My truck will always be a Dodge.

MoparNorm likes this.
  4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

It is tough to try and develop a new division from a former brand name unless you do it from the introduction of a new brand name.
    Nowhere on my Imperial does it say Chrysler, except the owners manual says that it is 'A product of the Chrysler Corporation'. Imperial was a separate division of Chrysler Corporation. It was to bring an exclusivity to the name and make it an esoteric automobile. Until 1967, it was a BOF build with few interchangable parts and was by all accounts a very different car than the unibody Chrysler motorcar.
    The 1960 Valiant started out the same way. Valiant was its own separate division sold through Plymouth dealers. It was eventually brought into the Plymouth model line-up and became a Plymouth.
    I think that automakers do this to bring an 'identity strength' to a brand. It can have mixed results if people are used to identifying a brand name to an existing division.
    I'm on the fence about calling the truck a Ram. I can see what they are trying to do with the Ram truck identity to make it different from the Dodge car identity. The Ram's head emblem has been on Dodge cars for years, but is now only on trucks.
    FCA is serious about growing its commercial truck sales and commitments. It is big money.
    The Durango is an odd case. It was never called a Ram, but it is still a truck to me. They are trying to separate the passenger vehicles/wagons from the pickup trucks.
    Is the Grand Caravan C/V a Ram?

5. theKING

theKING Active Member

Based on my experiences... that 2008 + Dakota will rust out before you wear it out... Daimler era steel bodies are of the lowest quality... I wanna punch Robert Eaton in the face.... Dr. Z can be next....

tomit likes this.
  6. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Better start with Lee Iacocca. His ego (in not wanting Bob Lutz to overshadow him) led to this whole mess.

Rust isn't a big concern - we don't get much winter here, so very little road salt.

Doug D, theKING and tomit like this.
  7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yep, same here. Where I live there is very little use of road salt - more sand than salt. The bed of my '06 Ram 1500 is rust free after 9 years and 202,000 miles.:)

And yes, Lee's decision way back then led to this "mess".

8. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Well said and while I "get" the rationale for a "Ram Brand", it is a serious and disrespectful treatment of the 99 year old Dodge Truck name.
    When I think of Dodge Truck, I think of the great young men of 75 years ago, who used Dodge Truck to defeat Fascism and Nazi's during WWII. It is especially ironic and cruel that the two of nations we had to subdue, are so invested in the destruction of Jeep and Dodge Truck.
    Perhaps the poor treatment of Chrysler by both Daimler and Fiat is Freudian...

9. JavelinAMX

JavelinAMX Well-Known Member

I think we covered what I'm saying here in other threads over the last six months or so - repeating it once more for clarity - but there were other names in the annals of old Chrysler which could've been used apart from selecting the model name to be the brand name. That's a big IF someone wanted a separate Brand.

I'm further repeating what's been said before by re-iterating how peculiar and awkward it is to have a Ram Ram ... o_O
    {This isn't the Flintstones}

Having a Dodge Truck Division would not have gotten in the way of the recent re-positioning of Dodge as a Performance brand. Commercial trucks 'perform' in their own way, too.

dyslexic teddybear and MoparNorm like this.
  10. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

The big fault of this is the Silverado is a Chevy, the F-150 is a Ford so taking the Dodge name off of it makes it like who makes this truck ? Talk about brand identity you just took it away from the Ram.

11. Stratuscaster

Stratuscaster Vaguely badass...
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Sigh.

Has anyone seen a print ad or poster than said "Ram Ram 1500?" Or seen or heard a commercial touting the capabilities of the "Ram Ram 1500?"

I doubt it.

It's the Ram 1500.

Yes, there are those that still call it a Dodge. There are plenty then call it a Ram. And then there are those that just call it "my truck."

12. geraldg

Ad-Free Member

Most people I know call it a Dodge and some will say ram.

13. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

Well Norm I think the Italians were pretty happy to see the Americans after they beat the Germans in Italy.
    Daimler = egomaniacs that did not realize they could not suck all the cash out of Chrysler and still keep sales up (what happened to those rocket scientists lol)
    FCA management = lack of understanding of the value of brand names. Too young & too immature to get it.
    The ones who GOT IT are all retired.

14. MoparNorm

MoparNorm Active Jeeper
    Level III Supporter

Well, while I can agree with most of your post, Mussolini did not come to power by way of Germany and 100% of the Italian Army were not Germans.
    It should be noted that just as France had its underground, so did Italy.

15. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

As Norm said. Resistance to our military in Italy was relatively small largely, I think, because few wanted Mussolini.

Wikipedia: “Discontent came to a head in March 1943 with a wave of labor strikes in the industrial north—the first large-scale strikes since 1925.[138] Also in March, some of the major factories in Milan and Turin stopped production to secure evacuation allowances for workers' families....Within a few days of the Allied landings on Sicily in July 1943, it was obvious Mussolini's army was on the brink of collapse. ...Some prominent members of Mussolini's government had turned against him by this point. ...Grandi moved a resolution asking the king to resume his full constitutional powers, in effect, a vote of no confidence in Mussolini. This motion carried by a 19–8 margin.”

Five days later, they signed a peace treaty with the Allies. However the king fled the country and there was a time of chaos after which many of the Italian military joined the Allies (and some, the Nazis).

Oddly, ten years later, they buried him in a special crypt with a bust of him on top. Weird.

16. Cornupenuria

Cornupenuria Well-Known Member

About 40 minutes into the video at this link: