cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

318 Build

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 neil4224

neil4224
  • Inactive
  • 16 posts

Posted April 28, 2010 at 04:42 pm

Here is the run down of my 318 build I have done with my dad in our 79 dodge power wagon pickup,

Engine Parts

Cam:- Comp Cams Extreme Energy Camshaft (CRS XE256H-10) 256 Intake /268 Exhaust Duration

Intake: Weiand Action Plus Dual Plane Intake

Carburetor: Holley 600 CFM Vacuum Secondary

Spacer:-1 Inch Spacer

Heads: 1986 Swirl Port Heads off of Pickup Truck. Heads were ported heavily to match 360 gasket size and were give a performance valve job with 2.02 Intake Valves and 1.60 Exhaust Valves. Milled off just across the machine to clean up.

Block: The block was a 1984 Police Engine Block with approximately 80k on it. Was torn completely down and new rod, cam, and main bearings were put in. Cylinder walls were cross hatched to clean up, no ridge was in the cylinder walls to begin with showing that the bottom end was well taken care of.

Windage Tray: Factory Police Windage Tray.

Oil Pump: Mopar Performance High Volume Oil Pump.

Headers: Summit Racing Headers 1 5/8in.

Engine held 60lbs of oil pressure on start up. Overall looks and sounds amazing.

Engine should be putting out around 350 plus in horsepower, wasn’t able to dyno but sounds awesome, you can here it run here

www.youtube.com/neil4224

Let me know what you think or have any other suggestions.

#2 Rodger

Rodger
  • Inactive
  • 1,125 posts

Posted May 11, 2010 at 02:05 pm

Neil

Judging by the high RPM items that you have with the
LA-360, your intent is to try the "speed version" of
Mud Holes with the 4 x 4.

What is the dyno spec differance of the cam that you
now have to the OEM cam of the EH-1 equiped LA-360's ?

Rodger & Gabby
COS

#3 mountainrich

mountainrich
  • 276 posts

Posted May 14, 2010 at 08:24 pm

The Comp Cam, I think is for 2000-4500 or so. It'll be a rev'er. The dual plane should keep it under control but the valves are gonna want rpm. Interesting combination: how does it do for torque?...and then HP (upper rpms)?

High oiler pressures (at idle) can rob HP. Never go below 10-15 at idle, but 60 at idle can actually take away some numbers. Shoot for 10 lbs per 100ft/lbs and it'll be good.

Edited by mountainrich, May 14, 2010 at 08:27 pm.

#4 neil4224

neil4224
  • Inactive
  • 16 posts

Posted May 20, 2010 at 08:38 pm

Hey thanks for the posts, haven't had a lot of free time for the computer between work and finishing up my semester at school. Truck is complete yet haven't even got it out of the garage yet, will let you know how it responds low end and top end once I get it going on the road. I have had some issues with header leaks that is the reason for part of the hold up. The heads have the smog holes in them so had to plug them to prevent the gaskets from seperating. Oh btw it is a 318 not a 360, yeah according to comp that was the best cam they offered for power all the way through the power band, I called them and asked for the best combination for a street/off road/get it out of any whole type deal. The engine is really strong sounding with the exhaust however we have the idle set pretty, some lope at the lower end but man when you rev it with the 2.02's she came alive!! Will keep you updated. Any more suggestions or ideas would be great! This was a budget build too, I have a total of about $2600 in the motor, first performance one my dad and I have built.

Rodger and Gabby I am checking on the cam specs now will post shortly!

#5 neil4224

neil4224
  • Inactive
  • 16 posts

Posted May 20, 2010 at 08:54 pm

Hey thanks for the posts, haven't had a lot of free time for the computer between work and finishing up my semester at school. Truck is complete yet haven't even got it out of the garage yet, will let you know how it responds low end and top end once I get it going on the road. I have had some issues with header leaks that is the reason for part of the hold up. The heads have the smog holes in them so had to plug them to prevent the gaskets from seperating. Oh btw it is a 318 not a 360, yeah according to comp that was the best cam they offered for power all the way through the power band, I called them and asked for the best combination for a street/off road/get it out of any whole type deal. The engine is really strong sounding with the exhaust however we have the idle set pretty, some lope at the lower end but man when you rev it with the 2.02's she came alive!! Will keep you updated. Any more suggestions or ideas would be great! This was a budget build too, I have a total of about $2600 in the motor, first performance one my dad and I have built.

Rodger and Gabby I am checking on the cam specs now will post shortly!

The cam specs say It runs from 1000- to 5200 rpms, the heads were heavily worked I forgot to mention the guy who did them for me said he has done the particular set up about 6 times for several different gentleman and they have had no complaints, the job was well over $1100, but only charged me $750 for them.

#6 mountainrich

mountainrich
  • 276 posts

Posted May 22, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Check the dizzy curve and add some heat to the ignition. Aftermarket HEI modules or go for the multispark MSD units.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.