cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

2006 PT Cruiser won't start

4 replies to this topic

#1 PentastarBooster

PentastarBooster
  • Inactive
  • 1 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 at 02:45 pm

2006 PT Cruiser (Touring, automatic transmission, non-turbo) won't start. Parked it in the back of the garage over the winter (was able to start and run it twice briefly earlier in the winter). I tried it again several weeks ago, and found that the battery had apparently discharged and it wouldn't start. Tried starting it, and heard clicking from Starter and saw dim lights. Tried charging it. Lights were bright after charging for about 4 hours, but no cranking from starter, not even clicking this time. I took battery out and had it tested. Battery was diagnosed as bad, and was replaced with new one. Installed new battery, but still nothing from the starter, not even clicking now either. Tried getting diagnostic codes using the "3 times on-off-on-off-on" key method. Displays six dash marks on the odometer for about 5 seconds, then shows "done". When key is turned to on, all dash lights go on,then off except that the "Battery", "Airbag" and "Engine" lights stay lit, and the red circular car alarm "armed" LED blinks. The airbag light then blinks once (stays on after blink, along with the other 3 warning lights) and then hear a single chime. Turning the key to "Start" position does nothing, no clicking or starter noise at all. Just nothing. The only other unusual thing I noticed is that the transmission gear "PRND" LED indicator on the dash doesn't light up, when key is turned to off, on or start position. I tried starting it with transmission in both Park and Neutral. Other electronics/electrical seem to work normally (lights, locks, windows, radio, dash instruments/lights, heater/AC blower, trip computer, etc.). In researching this, I saw a reference to the Wireless Control Module (WCM) possibly failing, but the Remote Keyless Entry fob on the key does lock and unlock the doors. A symptom of a failed WCM is said to be that the RKE wont' log/unlock the doors. Also checked the fuses in the fuse box in the engine compartment, and they were all fine. I'm not sure where the fusible links are, or if there are other fuses to check. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Brian

Edited by PentastarBooster, May 21, 2011 at 03:25 pm.

#2 Doug in Florida

Doug in Florida
  • Supporters (L2)
  • 2,317 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted May 21, 2011 at 06:33 pm

2006 PT Cruiser (Touring, automatic transmission, non-turbo) won't start. Parked it in the back of the garage over the winter (was able to start and run it twice briefly earlier in the winter). I tried it again several weeks ago, and found that the battery had apparently discharged and it wouldn't start. Tried starting it, and heard clicking from Starter and saw dim lights. Tried charging it. Lights were bright after charging for about 4 hours, but no cranking from starter, not even clicking this time. I took battery out and had it tested. Battery was diagnosed as bad, and was replaced with new one. Installed new battery, but still nothing from the starter, not even clicking now either. Tried getting diagnostic codes using the "3 times on-off-on-off-on" key method. Displays six dash marks on the odometer for about 5 seconds, then shows "done". When key is turned to on, all dash lights go on,then off except that the "Battery", "Airbag" and "Engine" lights stay lit, and the red circular car alarm "armed" LED blinks. The airbag light then blinks once (stays on after blink, along with the other 3 warning lights) and then hear a single chime. Turning the key to "Start" position does nothing, no clicking or starter noise at all. Just nothing. The only other unusual thing I noticed is that the transmission gear "PRND" LED indicator on the dash doesn't light up, when key is turned to off, on or start position. I tried starting it with transmission in both Park and Neutral. Other electronics/electrical seem to work normally (lights, locks, windows, radio, dash instruments/lights, heater/AC blower, trip computer, etc.). In researching this, I saw a reference to the Wireless Control Module (WCM) possibly failing, but the Remote Keyless Entry fob on the key does lock and unlock the doors. A symptom of a failed WCM is said to be that the RKE wont' log/unlock the doors. Also checked the fuses in the fuse box in the engine compartment, and they were all fine. I'm not sure where the fusible links are, or if there are other fuses to check. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

Brian

Could it be an issue with the ignition switch?

#3 chuzz

chuzz
  • 5,049 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 at 07:47 pm

Maybe the starter is just stuck. Try tapping it with a hammer and see if it'll crank.

#4 Jimdbrooks

Jimdbrooks
  • Inactive
  • 7 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Well strangely enough this sounds like a WCM (Wireless Control Module) The red blinking light indicates that the WCM does not recognize they key, and therfor will not allow the TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module) to engage the starter relay. Contrary to popular belief just because your key-less entry works that does not rule out the WCM. 2 things you can try before calling up the dealership. First go to the TIPM, it's the black plastic box under the hood with all the fuses and relays find the IOD fuse, and pull it up it should be a plastic box that has 2 fuses inside it, it will be a little harder to pull up than the other fuses and it wont fully come out. then try to start the car. If that did not work the next thing to do is remove both battery cables from the battery and touch them together and then reconnect. I work at a dealership and I see this problem often enough and those are the first 2 things I try. After that if you understand relays at all you can pull the starter relay out of the TIPM and jump across the terminals and see if your starter will crank. Oh and try both keys, keys do go bad but that is very very very rare, if you know your starter is good and 2 known keys wont even get it to click you pretty much have a bad WCM. Some of the older WCMs were known to be extremely sensitive to static electricity, so it is not out of the question that a low battery could have flash fried your WCM APrts and Labor should be no mor than 300 1.5 hours MAX to properly diagnose and replaced the parts and reprogram your keys and about 130 for the part.

#5 Paul Holman

Paul Holman
  • Inactive
  • 1 posts

Posted May 5, 2012 at 12:53 pm

i have a similar problem with my 2001 cruiser new starter on it and stillnothing i know its not the imobilzer as that has been bypassed for the clifford avant gard alarm fitted the dash code shows 833 and m led to beleive that this is the clutch relesed swithch curcit i have been starting it with a bar accros the starter terminals i have positive power and good earth n the starter and power to the plug on the solinoid it just wont play ball and is more than embarising wen i go shopping and have to open the bonnet th start the car or leave it running(without the keys in it from the clifford remote start program) but this leaves the car unlocked so not an opption although it did start once after i turned it off after starting it and then tried to start it straight away any ideas???

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.