cars

allpar, the Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep car and truck site

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

Photo
- - - - -

AN: Chrysler UAW leader arrested

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 News Feed

News Feed
  • Newsfeed
  • 4,575 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 at 07:10 am

Posted Image
General Holiefield, the United Auto Workers vice president who heads up the union's Chrysler department, was arrested by Macomb County Sheriff's deputies on Monday but was later released without charges. The matter, apparently stemming from a domestic issue, is under investigation by the Macomb County prosecutor's office, the sheriff's department said. The prosecutor's office could not be reached for comment. The UAW also could not be reached for comment. Holiefield filed for divorce from his wife of 30 years in May. The 58-year-old Holiefield has been a member of the UAW for 38 years and is serving his second term as vice president of the union He is expected to lead the union's negotiations this summer with Chrysler.

View the original, full post

#2 bumonbox

bumonbox

Say no to kool-aid

• Supporters
  • 3,404 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 at 07:40 am

While I personally don't like the guy - can't draw much from this given he was released with out charges, and doesn't say what he was actually arrested for (beyond that it was domestic). I would imagine that the actual events would effect his representation.

#3 marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt
  • 1,745 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I see that a lot of employees find this funny. Why does everyone hate this guy?

Maybe I haven't been around long enough to find out why.

#4 bumonbox

bumonbox

Say no to kool-aid

• Supporters
  • 3,404 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 at 03:51 pm

I see that a lot of employees find this funny. Why does everyone hate this guy?

Maybe I haven't been around long enough to find out why.

For me, it's partially just watching the speeches his given. He reaaallly rubs me the wrong way.

#5 brycmtthw

brycmtthw
  • 1,740 posts

Posted June 29, 2011 at 10:46 pm

This is news WHY?!? no charges were filed, thus NOT newsworthy!!!!!!

#6 TexasBill

TexasBill
  • Supporters III
  • 279 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 at 12:33 am

This is news WHY?!? no charges were filed, thus NOT newsworthy!!!!!!

On the contrary - it's extremely newsworthy: Holiefield is the UAW leader at Chrysler. He was released without charges being filed but Macomb County authorities said the investigation was continuing, which sounds like they are leaving the door open for possible charges in the future. Why is this news? The Chrysler/UAW contract negotiations are coming up and Holiefield is supposed to lead the union side. Criminal charges, if they are filed, could have an impact on the negotiations, especially if Holiefield has to deal with them during the talks. It could mean the UAW would have to bring in a honcho like Bob King, the union's president.

#7 Citation84

Citation84
  • 322 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 at 11:17 am

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't it a little premature to be negotiating a new contract when the survival of Chrysler is still in question ? A couple of good quarters does not signify a turnaround into sustainability and profits. Please someone explain, I am not trying to troll.

BTW: why is this news ? Smear machines stand ready 24 hours a day on both sides whether it's a union leader story or a political candidate. Everyone uses whatever they can to jockey for position. That's why it's news.

#8 ShadowRider

ShadowRider
  • Supporters (L2)
  • 386 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't it a little premature to be negotiating a new contract when the survival of Chrysler is still in question ? A couple of good quarters does not signify a turnaround into sustainability and profits. Please someone explain, I am not trying to troll.

BTW: why is this news ? Smear machines stand ready 24 hours a day on both sides whether it's a union leader story or a political candidate. Everyone uses whatever they can to jockey for position. That's why it's news.

Plain and simple it is time to negotiate a new contract because the old one is to expire soon!

#9 lvelleq (o)llllll(o)

lvelleq (o)llllll(o)
  • 754 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 at 01:12 pm

All three contracts (Ford, GM, Chrysler) that were negotiated in 2007 come up for renewal in 2011. Both Chrysler and GM have "no strike" guarantees from the UAW as a result of mid-agreement bargaining that took place during the bankruptcy process. It is noteworthy that, even before the ceremonial handshakes take place that symbolically begin this often-repeated dance, UAW leaders have said that they will not sign contracts that make Ford, GM, or Chrysler uncompetitive in their global marketplace.
As for the newsworthiness of the underlying event of this thread, I will leave that for others to comment on.

#10 Dave

Dave

It's me, Dave

• Supporters
  • Others:Superfriend
  • 20,636 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 at 01:14 pm

... but I will say we would not have posted it at all if it were not for the fact that we know that, had we skipped it, someone would have posted a link to the story here anyway.

#11 Citation84

Citation84
  • 322 posts

Posted July 1, 2011 at 10:28 am

Oh jeez! Thanks you guys. I hadn't realized how long it's been !!!!! I hope they both work for the good of the company and survival.

It's been over 30 years I've been observing this sort of death match between the UAW and Management and it's always baffled me. At times it has seemed that both sides were actively looking to destroy their own source of livelihood for short term gains.

Can't speak for anyone but myself but as an armchair observer of the industry that's been my impression. And being unemployed currently, I would do anything I could to keep the job I had if I could get hired. Scary times.

Best to all, and keep the faith.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.