cars

Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were an active member (more than two posts) or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (see top right of page for Facebook/Open ID login icons).

- - - - -

Oil Pressure Sending Unit

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 stereobumps (converted)

stereobumps (converted)
  • Guests

Posted September 24, 2005 at 12:36 pm

I have a 98 Neon SOHC. I have a leaking oil pressure sending unit and I was wondering how to fix the leak? Do I have to buy a new one or how can I stop it from leaking??

#2 prplhaze1

prplhaze1
  • Inactive
  • 720 posts

Posted September 24, 2005 at 12:37 pm

I just bought a new one.not too expensive, and easy to replace.

#3 neon_obsessed

neon_obsessed
  • Registry Users
  • 2,321 posts

Posted September 24, 2005 at 02:13 pm

get some thread sealent. It's a white gooey paste. You can find it at places like Pep Boys. Clean off the threads with a solvent (on the sender and the block). Then put the goo around the threads on the sender and install.

#4 Chris The Mopar Man

Chris The Mopar Man

Prodigal Son

• 964 posts

Posted September 24, 2005 at 02:54 pm

I'd replace it. I did on my 95, the part wasn't too badd but I had to also get a big socket for it.

#5 stereobumps (converted)

stereobumps (converted)
  • Guests

Posted September 24, 2005 at 05:12 pm

What size is the socket so I know what one to buy.

#6 stereobumps (converted)

stereobumps (converted)
  • Guests

Posted September 24, 2005 at 06:04 pm

Anyone know the answer to this question?? What size is it?? Do I need a deep well?? And what kind of sealant?? Any special type?? Thanks in advance....

#7 stereobumps (converted)

stereobumps (converted)
  • Guests

Posted September 25, 2005 at 08:23 pm

Anyone know the size socket required to remove the oil pressure sending unit???? I am sure it would have to be a deep well. Right now this is my only car and I need to get this fixed any help please??

#8 neon_obsessed

neon_obsessed
  • Registry Users
  • 2,321 posts

Posted September 25, 2005 at 10:49 pm

1 1/16 deep or open end

The thread sealer can be found at pep boys. when in doubt, just ask the sales clerk. Avoid the teflon tape. I'm pretty sure you'll find the permatex brand.

Edited by neon_obsessed, September 25, 2005 at 10:56 pm.

#9 colinr

colinr
  • Inactive
  • 24 posts

Posted September 26, 2005 at 06:56 am

Are you sure its leking from the thread and not round the terminal plug in which case you'll have to replace it.

#10 neon_obsessed

neon_obsessed
  • Registry Users
  • 2,321 posts

Posted September 26, 2005 at 07:17 am

my stock sender is solid brass all the way to the nut. There's no way oil is getting in or through it. mine is a '95, so I don't know if they changed over the years. It's a binary switch and isn't connected to the PCM whatsoever.

#11 stereobumps (converted)

stereobumps (converted)
  • Guests

Posted September 27, 2005 at 07:53 pm

I got it replaced. It was leaking arount the part where the metal and the plastic come together. And FYI the socket required is a 1 1/16 but it needs to be a 6 point not 12 otherwise it won't grab the sending unit. Thanks

#12 neon_obsessed

neon_obsessed
  • Registry Users
  • 2,321 posts

Posted September 27, 2005 at 09:35 pm

I'm glad you got it fixed. that's a very strange failure.

#13 TWX

TWX

DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

• Supporters
  • Others:Forum Leader
  • 8,871 posts

Posted September 28, 2005 at 12:44 am

I'm glad you got it fixed. that's a very strange failure.

not too strange. the 2.4L DOHC in my Stratus is doing the same thing. Light's coming on and everything, but I have oil pressure and the temperature is normal.

I even have the part, I'm just lazy about fixing it right.

Allpar

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Tool and Car Reviews · News

Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We are not affiliated with Chrysler Group, makers of cars, minivans, trucks, and Mopar (TM) parts. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2013 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.