StaffAllpar HomeMore NewsCarsTrucksUpcomingRepairsTest drives

How Many Hellcat Challengers Have the Automatic Transmission?

by Patrick Rall on

Shortly after the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat went on sale last year, Dodge announced that the manual transmission car was, surprisingly, outselling the quick shifting 8-speed automatic. When that was announced back in October 2014, the spokesperson who offered up the 55/45 mix stated that he fully expected to see the automatic outsell the manual in the long run.

He was right, as with the end of the 2015 model year nearing, the automatic transmission is outpacing the manual transmission as a margin of 60% to 40%.

2015 Dodge Challenger SRT with the HEMI® Hellcat

Before speaking with a Chrysler representative, we got some input from our reliable insider oh2o, who explained that in the most recent production run, around 56% of the new Hellcat Challengers being built had the 8-speed automatic while the other 44% had the manual transmission. This comes after another insider told me during the first quarter of the year that the automatic was outselling the manual by a ratio of roughly 2 to 1.

Based on these unofficial numbers starting late in 2014 and continuing through the 2015 calendar year, the transmission mix has shifted from roughly 55 manual/45 automatic last October to 65 automatic/35 manual early this year and now to 56 automatic/44 manual right now – all of which averages out to the official total 2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat transmission mix of 60% automatics and 40% manuals.


While the 2015 model year is quickly coming to an end, we could see more of a shift towards the manual transmission in the next few months, as many of the 2015 Challenger Hellcat models being delivered right now have a clutch pedal. According to oh2o, the high demand for the 8-speed automatic in both the Challenger and the Charger is causing a shortage of the heavy duty version of the self-shifting gearbox, and that is why the company recently opened the order bank for the Hellcat Challenger for a single day – but only with the manual transmission.

So if you haven’t preordered a 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat and you want to get one this summer, your best bet is to begin shopping for one with a manual transmission, as that gearbox is in less demand than the high tech automatic. We have spoken with several dealership reps around the country and right now, many of the unclaimed Hellcat Challengers on lots have the manual transmission and as these 707hp muscle cars sell, we will see the transmission product mix even out a little more.

However, by year’s end, I would bet that the automatic will still prove to be the more popular option for the 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat.

Patrick Rall was raised a Mopar boy, spending years racing a Dodge Mirada while working his way through college. After spending a few years post-college in the tax accounting field, Patrick made the jump to the world of journalism and his work has been published in magazines and websites around the world.

Know & Go screens
Employees created new FCA US app—first available to Ram TRX

Newest Ram Built to Serve models honor the U.S. Air Force

Former Ram chief engineer Michael J. Cairns

More Mopar Car
and Truck News

Some popular Allpar pages

Dodge Demon

2018 Wrangler JL

Staff details/contactsTerms of ServiceInformation is presented to the best of our knowledge. Plans change and sometimes mistakes are made. Decisions or purchases made based on this site's verbiage or images are done at the reader's own risk. Also see the Allpar News archives, 1997-2008 • Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved. • Mopar, Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, HEMI, and certain other names are trademarks of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.