Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2,660 Posts
I'm just glad that Maserati was able to do something about the exhaust note of the 2.0L.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Reactions: Heine Pedersen

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Didn't sound like any diesel I've ever heard.
No, very smooth and turbine like for a 4 cylindre. I've read that the engine block is cast somewhere in UK, in a stronger aluminum/litihium material mix, than other GME's.
It will be very good at urban start/stop traffic. And for off road vehicles, because of all the low down torque available.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I've had a few passengers in my Wrangler that have asked if it was a diesel.
I know some of these new GDI engines sound like a diesel, and I haven't heard any of these new 2.0T engines live. I'm used to heavy truck diesels, and my 3.0L MB, with experience in 5.9 Cummins prior (the 05). The 3176 CAT and 12.7 L Series 60 Detroit are sweet sounding oil burners, opened up. We picked up a 95 KW T800 with the Detroit 12.7, and it was pulling 80,000 lbs out of the field (grain in a 34' aluminum Timpte double farm hopper) like nobody's business. I got where I would roll down the passenger window just to hear it rumble. 😎 Fortunately, the KW has a power passenger window.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm just glad that Maserati was able to do something about the exhaust note of the 2.0L.
You don't like the 2.0T's exhaust note? I love mine in the Giulia in D mode. It has a nice purr/growl that's very European (versus the rumble and roar of a Scat Pack HEMI, another lovely engine note).

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2,660 Posts
You don't like the 2.0T's exhaust note? I love mine in the Giulia in D mode. It has a nice purr/growl that's very European (versus the rumble and roar of a Scat Pack HEMI, another lovely engine note).
Not at all. I actually hate every sound that the 2.0L makes. But oh boy do I love everything else about it. It gets great mileage and is pretty dang quick.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know some of these new GDI engines sound like a diesel, and I haven't heard any of these new 2.0T engines live. I'm used to heavy truck diesels, and my 3.0L MB, with experience in 5.9 Cummins prior (the 05). The 3176 CAT and 12.7 L Series 60 Detroit are sweet sounding oil burners, opened up. We picked up a 95 KW T800 with the Detroit 12.7, and it was pulling 80,000 lbs out of the field (grain in a 34' aluminum Timpte double farm hopper) like nobody's business. I got where I would roll down the passenger window just to hear it rumble. 😎 Fortunately, the KW has a power passenger window.
Why aren't diesels more popular in USA? In Europe you can get a Wrangler with the very good 4 cylindre 2.2 diesel. It's not fast but its torque makes it good in terrain. The same engine Alfa romeo uses in Guilia/Stelvio.

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
288 Posts
Why aren't diesels more popular in USA? In Europe you can get a Wrangler with the very good 4 cylindre 2.2 diesel. It's not fast but its torque makes it good in terrain. The same engine Alfa romeo uses in Guilia/Stelvio.
See GM & letting Oldsmobile create the absolutely horrendous (or so we are all told) Old's 350 diesel.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
What's sad is the slant six would apparently have been very good as a diesel, even without a turbo:

The diesel slant six: Abandoned contender
If my ancient brain cells are still functioning...I remember having read ages ago (I used to LOVE Motor Trend back then)...that in those times, there was a test car running around with a turbocharged slant 6...I believe it was an R Body St. Regis)...and that that the 6 diesel performed very impressively.

P.S......^&*?^& ! ......I just caught myself before I would have embarrassed myself with an additional bit of memory. That was NOT a diesel engine, but rather a gasoline powered turbocharged slant 6.

Never mind.:oops:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
In addition to what's already been said, diesel is more expensive here than regular gasoline.

Reactions: Erik Latranyi

·
Registered
864 Posts
The real question is why are Diesels so popular in Europe. The answer is massive subsidies since 1997.

"After the Kyoto Protocol in 1997, European governments threw their weight behind diesel cars as a way to hit their CO2-reduction targets, since they emitted way less CO2 than their gasoline-powered brothers. Governments have since spent billions subsidizing the fuel to make it cheaper than petrol, and other incentives, like taxing new diesel registrations at lower rates than petrol cars."

The result was predictable: "From a 13% market share in Western Europe in 1990, diesel shot up to dominate over half of the market."

"Diesel cars are still enjoying favourable tax treatment compared with petrol, despite being the main cause of the air pollution crisis in Europe’s cities."

We don't want to import Europe's environmental policy disasters.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Its not necissarily true that euro subsidies diesel cars and fuel.
- one should also take into account that the modern turbodiesel driveability is fenomenal.
Look how popular the 3L ecodiesel is for towing dispite its quite low 250 hp rating, almost no one likes to drive way up in rews like the gasengines demand.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Its not necissarily true that euro subsidies diesel cars and fuel.
- one should also take into account that the modern turbodiesel driveability is fenomenal.
Look how popular the 3L ecodiesel is for towing dispite its quite low 250 hp rating, almost no one likes to drive way up in rews like the gasengines demand.
My Grand Cherokee (MB OM642)has phenominal power...when it's running right, which it has been more in the severe cold lately. Still haven't found the electrical problem. Keeps running, though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts