Allpar Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Its not necissarily true that euro subsidies diesel cars and fuel.
- one should also take into account that the modern turbodiesel driveability is fenomenal.
Look how popular the 3L ecodiesel is for towing dispite its quite low 250 hp rating, almost no one likes to drive way up in rews like the gasengines demand.
The only exceptions are Switzerland, Iceland and the US. All other nations are subsidizing Diesel with fuel taxes.

A certain segment likes to rev small gasoline engine to high rpm to generate performance. Honda VTEC comes to mind. Most American car fans don't.

Diesel has advantages for towing with a truck, torque at low rpm. No advantages for a person commuting to work in a car.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
A certain segment likes to rev small gasoline engine to high rpm to generate performance. Honda VTEC comes to mind. Most American car fans don't.

Diesel has advantages for towing with a truck, torque at low rpm. No advantages for a person commuting to work in a car.
My old boss in Germany, a retired SF sniper, had one of those. He traded it for a Mercedes GLA (after ordering a VW Atlas that was so behind on production he cancelled it).

I think a properly sized diesel engine is key for a commuter car. When the Bavarians decided to import the 335d, they set themselves, and diesels, up for failure AGAIN, nevermind the environmental concerns. When you throw all the emmissions controls on a modern diesel, being oversized is a real problem. The 1999 320d I had on my 2018 tour was a great long distance car, especially in Germany, because it was nothing to run it at 100 MPH for long stretches. The ideal commuter car diesel would presumably be around 1.5 liter TD. Much larger than 2 L on the smaller cars and you get engine problems from not being worked, even without the EPA stuff, especially in the US.

·
Registered
864 Posts
My old boss in Germany, a retired SF sniper, had one of those. He traded it for a Mercedes GLA (after ordering a VW Atlas that was so behind on production he cancelled it).

I think a properly sized diesel engine is key for a commuter car. When the Bavarians decided to import the 335d, they set themselves, and diesels, up for failure AGAIN, nevermind the environmental concerns. When you throw all the emmissions controls on a modern diesel, being oversized is a real problem. The 1999 320d I had on my 2018 tour was a great long distance car, especially in Germany, because it was nothing to run it at 100 MPH for long stretches. The ideal commuter car diesel would presumably be around 1.5 liter TD. Much larger than 2 L on the smaller cars and you get engine problems from not being worked, even without the EPA stuff, especially in the US.
Americans will never accept a 1.5-1.6T Diesel car.

Giulietta 1.6T Diesel
1.6L MultiJetI4940C10001,598 cc (97.5 cu in)120 PS (88 kW; 118 hp) at 3750 rpm320 N⋅m (236 lbf⋅ft) at 1750 rpm10.0 s195 km/h (121 mph)2015–2020

Diesel is dead for cars in the US, it should be dead for cars in Europe, it is being kept alive by subsidies.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts