Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the alternator belt on my Cruiser less than a month ago. On the way home from it bwork todayroke right down the middle of the new Carquest belt. Why has this happened twice in such a sort amount of time? Is my alternator bad? The pulleys for the other belt move nicely. help please

·
Registered
290 Posts
Did you have a diagram for how it is routed? Pulley's need to be spun individually that's all I can think of.

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Does the alternator spin freely? Any noise?
Inspect the belt path for trueness. A yardstick and one-eye view is a good tool.
Does the belt shred first or pop off the pulleys? Is the belt noisy or squeaking? Any pulley damage like chips or dents or bent pulleys?
Is the inner fender splash shield present? Any oil leaks at the front crank or cam shafts?
Some 2.4L crankshafts had thrust bearing wear which could cause excessive endplay (the crank could walk in and out while running). This issue was known to throw belts.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
How are you determining the correct tension to have on the belt when you install it?

Some may just follow the old tried and trued Good-N-Tight method o_O

But this is from the Gen1 Service Manual, which actually requires the use of a DRB tool as well as "plucking" the belt to a specific frequency:

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I'd suspect a burr or something on the alternator pulley. I never had any problems with mine when I replaced it. And I didn't even torque it. Just put it on, checked the pay in it and tightened the alternator. Looks like I got lucky.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I replaced the alternator belt on my Cruiser less than a month ago. On the way home from it bwork todayroke right down the middle of the new Carquest belt. Why has this happened twice in such a sort amount of time? Is my alternator bad? The pulleys for the other belt move nicely. help please
Maybe it was installed wrong. I placed my alternator belt on wrong once, and the battery light came on. I adjusted the belt and alternator and it has worked fine since. Just make sure you have the alternator adjusted in the right position when you tighten the belt. Otherwise, belts break sometimes, just put a new one on.

·
Premium Member
20,101 Posts
Yeah, the alternator belt is the old style V belt, not a serpentine belt, so I would check everything ImperialCrown mentioned. Most likely there is a burr on one of the pulley grooves that is cutting and eating the belt a little at a time. Due to its location, it is not impossible for a rock or other debris to bounce up in there and do some kind of damage to the pulley surfaces.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The PT alternator belt is a serpentine belt and the tension is set with an adjustment on the alternator. The tensioner is for the other belt that drives the AC and power steering.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Listen to Handy Cruiser. Trust me, this man KNOWS PT Cruisers.

Reactions: Handy_Cruiser

·
Premium Member
20,101 Posts
Always appreciate being corrected when I am wrong, and again, damage to the grooves is most likely the issue.

Reactions: Handy_Cruiser
1 - 12 of 12 Posts