Allpar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I know this is a stupid idea but I want to do it I don't care if it's a bad deal I just want to know is it possible to mount a 03 2.4l turbo to a 01 pt cruiser chassis? Or will I need a welder? To change the mounts and etc.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,977 Posts
Possible? Probably. Feasible? Not really.
Check with the local laws with the DMV to see if this modification would allow the car to be registered and pass state inspection where you are.

I would be concerned more about the electronics and NGC vs SBEC cam/crank differences than mounting the engine.
You would want a donor PT turbo or Neon SRT-4 with an intact engine compartment wiring harness and under-hood NGC components.

Seriously, you are better off purchasing a used PT GT.

Rectangle Material property Parallel Font Pattern

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possible? Probably. Feasible? Not really.
Check with the local laws with the DMV to see if this modification would allow the car to be registered and pass state inspection where you are.

I would be concerned more about the electronics and NGC vs SBEC cam/crank differences than mounting the engine.
You would want a donor PT turbo or Neon SRT-4 with an intact engine compartment wiring harness and under-hood NGC components.

Seriously, you are better off purchasing a used PT GT.

View attachment 85594
Ok then is there anyway I can make this 01 any powerful like a different engine or something? then what i said? Cause I've been told multiple times that the 01 engine is not upgradeable at all.and even if you put a fortune in it it'll only make 200hp Which is not a big difference for the price. any ideas? Cause ei don't want to buy another car

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,977 Posts
You probably aren't going to make an '01 PT with the 2.4L N/A much faster than it already is. PT is a fairly heavy (safer) car for its size.

I converted my '96 Neon from 3-speed automatic to a 5-speed stick-shift. I did have a complete donor car and had 2 good Neons left over when I completed the transplant. I donated the automatic one.
It felt faster after that, as the stick-shift gave it some 'snap'. Highway fuel economy went up also.

CAI and Jet-chips are snake oil. You already have factory CAI. Some people like the added intake noise and 'think' it is faster. Hot-rodding isn't what it used to be. Not that there aren't any incremental improvements you can make.

You could add NOx, but that only comes into play at WOT and you have to know what you are doing when setting it up. However any mechanical weakness of the engine or transaxle could cause a breakdown.

The early PT had PCM and TCM software updates that might help improve driving characteristics:
Font Screenshot Number Document

Font Number Document

·
Super Moderator
39,071 Posts
Easiest way to better performance is to sell the 01 and buy a turbo PT.
03 is an odd year, better to find a later turbo. They are out there and can be had inexpensively if you shop. A couple years back I bought an 05 PT GT convertible for around $2k. It was a clean, low mileage car.

·
Premium Member
20,292 Posts
Another option is a Whipple supercharger. I recall them being a big option when the PT Cruiser first came out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts