Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Grand Cherokee has been having starter troubles. :frusty:

We came out of a store once to find it click when the key was turned but no start. So automatically I thought starter. I grabbed a screwdriver and banged on the starter and it fired up. This lasted for about a week with no problems.

Today it did it again. No start. Banged on the electrical part bolted next to the starter and it fired up. Seems okay for now.

So the question is, is the starter really done for? The fact that hitting the elecrical part (as opposed to the direct starter) made it start makes me wonder if that electrical part is sold seperately or...

has anyone encountered this problem before and know an inexpensive fix?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
What electrical part are you referring to? If it's the starter solenoid, then, yes, they can go bad and your starter can still be good. It may be as simple as a loose connection. Disconnect your battery ground and then make sure your electrical connections are clean and tight on the starter and see if that effects it. How many miles are on your vehicle and how many times a day do you crank it on average? If you're going to go to the trouble to pull the starter and change the solenoid, then take it somewhere and have it bench tested. If you plan of just trying to change the solenoid without removing the starter, I guess you could, but you'd best remember to disconnect the battery first!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The truck has about 150K on it. The starter was replaced before, at about 50k. The solenoid is what I was referring to. I think that is what is bad. If it can be removed (and purchased) by itself, I would do it. As of right now, the car is starting just fine. It just one day fails, then I bang the solenoid and it kicks over.

I will try to clean up the contacts first, since an oil leak has caused alot of oil to land on the starter and its thick and disgusting. If that doesn't work, can the solenoid be purchased by itself?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
I don't think the solenoid separates from these starters like on an older bowtie. Cleaning it would be a great idea though as it sounds like it really needs it. If it were mine, I'd remove it and give it a good cleaning, but it isn't mine, it's yours. If you think you can get it cleaned up without removing it, then by all means, do that. It sure won't hurt it to clean it. Have you checked all of your wiring connections to make sure they're clean and tight, though?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Decided to replace the starter rather than contine to play around with it anymore. Solved the problem! :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts