Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that it's going to change anything as it's already getting replaced, but I just wanted to get anyone's take on it.

03 Concorde Limited ~106,000. Went into limp mode this morning between daycare drop and work so stopped at the house. Did the key dance to pull P0700. Okay need to get it checked by a real code reader. Only option here is to hit a tranny shop. Dropped it and caught a ride to work. Get the call about an hour later that it's "an internal failure, fluid is showing high with bubbles in it. Will need to be replaced." Now, I'm not in the position to run around having it checked at other shops, and there aren't many other reputable ones around, so it's getting a reman as we speak. I'm just curious if it's really as uncommon as they say it is for these trannies to just take a crap on you with no warning.

·
Administrator
35,284 Posts
No, and I don't think I would have trusted the first tranny shop to read the code. It sounds as though someone just overfilled the transmission fluid.

I took mine to the dealer when it pulled an 0700 on me, and it was the speed sensor. Under $100 including labor. (If I had done it myself, I'd have been charged for the diagnostic time!)

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
P0700 is simply a PCM code saying that there is a code stored in the TCM. It is pretty useless for any transmission diagnosis.
Did they share the actual TCM 'P' fault code with you? It would be nice to know more than just 'an internal failure'.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Imperial is dead on here a P700 is just the general fault and a code reader is needed to get the underlying code/codes

Most likely on an '03 LH your issue is the solenoids and depending on the manufactorer date of your valve body you are required to either change just the 'noids OR do a complete rebuilt valve body. There is a TSB on this that I can get you a copy of if needed.

Your "Local" Tranny shop has no clue about these trannies and their only fix is a tranny swap for big bucks

A dealer would only charge about $400-600 for this fix depending on which way your date points

1 - 4 of 4 Posts