Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 03 Durango with low miles. 76000 a 5.9 4x4. Origianl ower and it has been taken care of. Had a trans flush at 50k

What I am experiancing is the trans is slow to engage into gear, if it sits more than a day.
If I shift it back and forth from R to D a few times it will work just fine and drive all day long without any issues. But if I start it up, put it into gear and give it gas, it wont move the vehicle.

I have herd that some of Dodges trans have issue and I had herd they can be an easy fix without a rebuild.
Anyone have any info or experiance with this?

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
This is common and is not terribly detrimental.

Try starting it, shifting into drive, holding the brake while applying a bit of go-pedal for a few seconds. It should perk up immediately.

Or, put it into neutral for fifteen seconds or so.

Basically some kind of anti-drain-back valve isn't holding as well as it should.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
You may want to do a fluid AND filter change. This will allow you to inspect the pan, magnet and filter for debris. ATF+4 fluid is recommended.
The only drawback about a transmission flush is that it won't address a restricted filter or debris in the pan bottom. Debris can also plug up an ATF cooler which will be the beginning of the end.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts