Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 Grand Caravan 3.3 215,000 miles has a loss of power, runs good ,,, not missing not sputtering but no power to get up to speed gas milage is really bad too any ideas where to start

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Any malfunction light turned on? (SES)
It wouldn't hurt to check for any stored computer fault codes. I think any of the major auto parts stores can check for basic fault codes. If there are any codes, that might give some clues as what the problem is. Otherwise there will be a lot of guessing going on. One guess might be a restricted exhaust system.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,683 Posts
One guess might be a restricted exhaust system.
Along those lines it's probably a plugged catalytic converter.

As mentioned, check for fault codes.

When was the last tune up (plugs, wires)?

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Check your catalytic converter. It may be stopping up.

Ha, ha! John and I had the same idea. How's that for timing?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok it never has had a tune up the exhaust seems to be blowing out of the exhaust really good again it runs great but no acceleration power does the car have 1 or 2 cat converters maybe one is cloged

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,683 Posts
ok it never has had a tune up the exhaust seems to be blowing out of the exhaust really good again it runs great but no acceleration power does the car have 1 or 2 cat converters maybe one is cloged
I'm thinking it only has one cat converter - probably right after the Y where the exhaust pipes from both sides combine.

If it's never had a "tune up", I'd at least start there. Then see what kind of power you have. Should make a significant difference. 215K miles is way over due. I'm pretty sure it uses double platinum plugs which are good for 100K miles, but 200+K is pushing it. I had a 2000 T&C that I stretched it to 148K before I changed the plugs, but IMHO that was way too long.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that the gap on the spark plugs is at least .060 or more. Most likely the electrodes are almost completely gone by now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yep double checked with my wife it never had a tune up but how do i know or check if a cat converter is bad and I'm changing plugs and wires pcv valve also but i think its something else chk engine code is something about fuel evaporator system witch has been a pain for the last 50,000 miles change the gas cap and that fix it for about a week but the lack of power just started

·
Super Moderator
36,946 Posts
If you had a plugged converter there would be reduced pressure from the exhaust outlet and if you put a vacuum gauge on the engine very low vacuum. Plugs would likely foul very black.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
You can also just tap on the cat con with a rubber mallet. If it's coming apart, you'll hear it rattle inside when you tap it.

·
Super Moderator
21,367 Posts
A P0420 fault code may appear, but cat efficiency codes take a long time to set. The PCM has to be sure that the O2 signals that it is reading are valid first.
Start with the simple, inexpensive and known things first. Check plugs and wires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts