Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 gt and the fan has gone bad I was curious if I could put an after market fan in instead of dropping the 600 for a new fan

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Rock Auto offers this after-market one, for $476.79, which is supposed to be an alternate to the OEM:

2003 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER 2.4L L4 Turbocharged Radiator Fan Assembly | RockAuto (at https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chrysler,2003,pt+cruiser,2.4l+l4+turbocharged,1412468,cooling+system,radiator+fan+assembly,2181 )

You can save a little extra by using a discount code for 5% off:

Discount code: 114477956107813692

Using your discount code is easy! Enter your discount code in the 'How Did You Hear About Us?' box without any other numbers or characters for an additional 5% savings. Discounts cannot be applied once an order is marked as shipped.

Your code expires on September 22, 2019.

For my PT, I always try to stay with OEM parts, but in your case, the OEM fan assy has a retail price of $810, but then again, the '03 is unique with the variable speed fan.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
21,818 Posts
I believe that a new solid state fan speed control module is part of the replacement assembly. That is probably a big part of the expense.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mercedes and Volvos used same digital-control fans. Pick-a-part sells used for about $30. Swap guts into your housing and fan blade and viola, $600 fan for peanuts!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I HAVE A 01 & 05 AND I HAVE GONE THRU 3-4 FANS IN THE PAST. THE PRICE FOR THE STANDARD FAN IS NOT A HEART ATTACK LIKE THIS COMPUTER CONTROLLED ONE.

BEING A DIY ORIENTED TYPE I WOULD CUT THE OLD FAN MOTOR WIRES AND JUMP WITH 12V BATTERY CURRENT. IF IT FAILS TO ROTATE I WOULD BUY THE STANDARD FAN CUT THE MODULE FROM THE OLD FAN SHROWD AND SOLDER THE OLD MODULE TO THE MOTOR WIRES. AFTER ALL, THE MODULE IS JUST A REOSTATE RIGHT?
$600-800 IS TOTALLY RIDICULOUS.
I KNOW RIDICULOUS, I HAVE TOYOTA'S ONLY EVER SUPERCHARGED CAR IMPORTED TO THE USA.

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
The 2003 PT Cruiser fan set up is a one year only deal. That's why replacements for it cost so much. Every 03 I've ever seen in a junkyard has been missing the fans. I know why and now so do you, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I don't know why Chrysler didn't just go with a single (high) speed fan assembly anyway, instead of their troublesome low speed-high speed or 1 year variable speed set up. When the vehicle needs the fan, high speed would be it. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can say from experience what happens when you put a standard run of the mill electric fan in place of the 03 PT GT fan... Stupid service engine light. Technically, it ran ok and I give the previous owner credit for making it work, but as hard as I tried, I could never get the SES light to go away.
The good news is, usually its just the brushes. Pull the fan, then the brushes, measure them and get the replacements off of E bay for around $7 if I remember right.

·
Super Moderator
38,040 Posts
Fans are more complex for a couple of reasons:
1) Precise cooling control. The fan needs to be able to keep the engine under all conditions. But because of emissions the engine needs a thermostat that keeps temps high. So once the thermostat opens, a high cooling fan speed is needed to keep from overheating.
2) But running a cooling fan on high all the time would present a large electrical draw which affects fuel economy. So when high speed is not need, a low speed can be used to conserve energy to run the fan.
So at a minimum, a high-low fan is necessary. However, variable is even better at meeting the requirements necessary.

·
Super Moderator
21,818 Posts
When a fan kicks on, the headlights can dim momentarily and it can be loud. I remember this concern on repair orders in the shop. We used to say it was 'normal'.
Having a duty-cycle fan with soft-start, ramp up and variable speed was a better idea.
The PCM may recognize a different fan or fan control and set a fault code. It is best to use OEM in this case.

Reactions: valiant67

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I live in Texas and use the a/c all the time, so the fan on my PT will be on high-speed pretty much all the time. ;)

This is from a post over on PTCL:

"....What you really need are the brushes inside the motor. The brushes are the 4 oblong gray pieces that are around the inner rotor winding's of the motor and that's what wears out and all that needs to be replaced but the next best thing in your case is probably just the motor itself. Here's some pictures of what it all looks like inside the motor.

You can see how at least two of the brushes are much shorter than the other two and that's why in this case the low speed part of the motor will not work because they are to short to reach the center winding's (rotor) ."

Radiator Fan Motor Replacement - PT Cruiser Forum (at http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/tech-performance-forum/62998-radiator-fan-motor-replacement.html#post644967 )

·
Super Moderator
21,818 Posts
The fan is only really needed at stops and lower speeds. On the highway, there is usually enough air blowing through the radiator and condenser to keep the fan off. I have found seed chaff, tree debris and grass packed on the fins that can restrict airflow. You should be able to shine a light through the fins and see it in the grille. The fan will work harder if airflow is restricted or blocked.
If the armature-contact side of the brushes are still shiny, they are still making contact.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
This is from the Service Manual and shows when the fan is on or off, and the info is the same for Gen1 or Gen2:

I have an UltraGauge and I have it set to sound an alarm when the engine temp reaches 225 degrees. A couple of years ago the alarm sounded while I was sitting at a stop light. I looked over at the temp gauge and sure enough the needle was rising. I quickly lowered all the windows and turned on the heater (and this was in the middle of summer so it was very hot inside the car). I was then able to start moving to get air flowing through the radiator and get my car home without overheating.

The next day when I started my PT, the UG sounded an alarm for a pending trouble code = P0481 COOLING FAN 2 CONTROL
CIRCUIT

The Check Engine Light had not yet come on.

I took it to the shop and they confirmed that the fan needed to be replaced, which they did as it was still under their warranty from being replaced the previous summer.

Reactions: chuzz

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do you still have that fan by any chance? If so text me at 9289400531. Thanks
Daniel, is your car and 03 GT? If so, that is the only year for the special PCM controlled cooling fan. The 2004 and up fans are all the cheap, approximately $100 for a new aftermarket, easily purchased relay control fans, so the one Jerry has, wouldn't work in your car. If you need one specifically for an 03 GT, let me know as I have several of them and can help you out with one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have a 03 gt and my fan blade exploded and took the radiator with it. I replaced rad and put a 165 therma in it. I tried a fan from an 04 hard wired on high to a toggle switch but it still got hot at an idle real close to the critical point 85% at least no ac no heat blowing. So my question is.. can you replace just the fan blade for the original 03 cooling fan?

·
Super Moderator
21,818 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. If the fan is running and coolant is flowing in the radiator, there is another reason for overheating.
The first order of business is to get the cooling system back to what it is supposed to be, diagnose the real problem and do the repair. A manual fan switch and 165℉ will likely keep the 'ck eng' light on.
Are the heater hoses warm? Do you have to keep burping air from the system? Has the coolant been checked for the presence of combustion gases (possible failed h/gskt)?

Reactions: 06PTElectricBlue
1 - 20 of 22 Posts