Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at an 03 GT turbo 5 speed. It has under 80,000 miles. I know the PT's are generally considered reliable, but what about the turbo models ? Do they require premium fuel. I would be considering this for daily transportation. My 12 year old Neon is not gonna make it much longer . The rust is taking its toll. Thanks .

·
Registered
704 Posts
The turbos are just as reliable as the n/a models, since its the same engine. My personal bias is against automatics in the first place, but from what I gather the slushers in the turbo PTs are pretty weak. The manual on the other hand is a Getrag unit and is a stout piece. The turbo engine is beefed up a bit from the n/a on the bottom end, and it has additional work on the head to help lube everything. GT models have the High Output turbo 2.4 and will require premium fuel, but my understanding is the turbo 'lite' models can run on regular since theyre much lower boost. The other thing is, use synthetic oil, since dino oil will coke in the turbo bearings. I bought my '03 5 speed in Aug of 2009 and love the car! There are plenty of upgrades available if you want to start squeezing more performance from the car...Id say its a waste to have a GT if you DONT start hotrodding the thing! Chopping off the muffler and straight piping it for better exhaust flow and some added snarl is a good start, and hardpipes are a good way to go since you seal up any boost leaks and your boost is right there when you want it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ive never 'officially' checked it, but out on the freeway where I rarely do under 80mph I estimate it at around 25mpgs. Im basing that on when I go to the oregon coast which is approx 200 miles round trip combined and I have half a tank when I get back home. Thats with some steep grades too, where Im going into 4th and hammering down.

Keep in mind, the '03 models are tuned a bit differently, and have a smaller bore fuel injector. I havent installed my S1 yet which requires the big-bore injectors of the '04-up models (and will sling more fuel). As Im told, I can expect 23-24-ish give or take, depending on driving habits. Freeway running is easy mpg, and youre not really into the turbo too much, whereas around town youre boosting a lot more.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have a 2005 GT Automatic that I bought new. It just turned 99K miles and it has been relatively trouble free. No problems at all with the automatic. I couldn't be more pleased with it.
It's had the following done:

-Replaced an a/c hose assy within the first year due to a leak. No charge, warranty
-Replaced radiator within a few months after the a/c hose was replaced. Also under warranty
-Had 3 of the 4 Goodyear OEM tires replaced over time due to shifted belts
-Finally replaced OEM Goodyears with Bridgstone Potenzas, but took them back off as they were very noisy.
-Replaced Bridgestones with Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S which are fantastic.
-Replaced timing belt and water pump at 90K. Done at the dealer, not warranty
-Replaced front lower control arms as bushings were wearing at 90K, not warranty
-Had trans fluid changed at 90K when other work was done, not warranty
-Replaced front brake pads at 65K. Rear pads are original as are rotors
-Replaced original battery back in Feb.

Other:

Regular oil/filter changes between 7 and 10K miles, always with Mobil 1. Car used mostly for long trips.
The car uses no oil and the oil stays relatively clean between changes.
Replaced air filter,spark plugs, etc. as recommended by manual.

That's it. The car is a tight today as when it was new. Runs like a champ.

·
Registered
704 Posts
W, do you have any mods done to your car, and how do you drive it? If you just use your car as an every day ride then the slusher is fine. Im a member over at PTcrew.com and we're basically a bunch of hotrodders and maniacs! But even if your car is stock and youre driving it with sense, I hear tell its a VERY bad idea to ever boost in overdrive. Many an automatic has taken a dump like that over at the Crew...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The car is a daily driver and typically driven moderately aggressively. Never had a trans. issue ( knock on wood ) Not sure about boost in overdrive, anytime the throttle is opened near WOT the trans. kicks down. Never had it going so fast that WOT was beyond kickdown range for the tranny. The car has been a pleasure to drive and a hoot when on boost.
The car is totally stock, no mods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts