Allpar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
The turbos are just as reliable as the n/a models, since its the same engine. My personal bias is against automatics in the first place, but from what I gather the slushers in the turbo PTs are pretty weak. The manual on the other hand is a Getrag unit and is a stout piece. The turbo engine is beefed up a bit from the n/a on the bottom end, and it has additional work on the head to help lube everything. GT models have the High Output turbo 2.4 and will require premium fuel, but my understanding is the turbo 'lite' models can run on regular since theyre much lower boost. The other thing is, use synthetic oil, since dino oil will coke in the turbo bearings. I bought my '03 5 speed in Aug of 2009 and love the car! There are plenty of upgrades available if you want to start squeezing more performance from the car...Id say its a waste to have a GT if you DONT start hotrodding the thing! Chopping off the muffler and straight piping it for better exhaust flow and some added snarl is a good start, and hardpipes are a good way to go since you seal up any boost leaks and your boost is right there when you want it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ive never 'officially' checked it, but out on the freeway where I rarely do under 80mph I estimate it at around 25mpgs. Im basing that on when I go to the oregon coast which is approx 200 miles round trip combined and I have half a tank when I get back home. Thats with some steep grades too, where Im going into 4th and hammering down.

Keep in mind, the '03 models are tuned a bit differently, and have a smaller bore fuel injector. I havent installed my S1 yet which requires the big-bore injectors of the '04-up models (and will sling more fuel). As Im told, I can expect 23-24-ish give or take, depending on driving habits. Freeway running is easy mpg, and youre not really into the turbo too much, whereas around town youre boosting a lot more.

·
Registered
704 Posts
W, do you have any mods done to your car, and how do you drive it? If you just use your car as an every day ride then the slusher is fine. Im a member over at PTcrew.com and we're basically a bunch of hotrodders and maniacs! But even if your car is stock and youre driving it with sense, I hear tell its a VERY bad idea to ever boost in overdrive. Many an automatic has taken a dump like that over at the Crew...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.