Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Russia! Sorry for my English, if it differs...

Someday ago I wrote at the Allpar forums having EEK 1988 Chrysler LeBaron GTS. Time passes, since then I bought a 2006 Dodge Magnum and now I want to trade my LeBaron for a PT Cruiser.

Anyway, here's a good offer of a 2004 PT Cruiser Convertible. The thing is, that it has a dead engine. I don't know the details of what exactly happened to the engine yet, but as this car is fairy rare here I wanted to ask if a 2.4 NA engine from say a Sebring or a Stratus fits PT? I read something about different intake manifolds to fit under the tiny hood of a PT. But maybe one can assemble an engine to fit from a dead PT's turbo and a Sebrings'd/Stratus's NA engine?

P.S. I know how to handle with a wrench :)

P.P.S. Is it fairly easy to swap PT's turbo with a PT's NA engine? What one'd need besides the engine itself and the PCM?

·
Super Moderator
21,358 Posts
Is it a 2.4L? Some export PT's had 2.2L diesel and 2.0L and 2.4L petrol engines.
Is it 'dead' meaning a no-start or is it certain that internal mechanical damage has been done to the engine? A broken timing belt doesn't necessarily mean that valve/piston damage has occurred. The 2.4L is a free-wheeling, non-interference engine in that respect.
A swap to the turbo would almost require a donor car to get parts from. Wiring harness, exhaust and other miscellaneous items are different or would have to be fabricated.
A Hollanders parts interchange manual may be useful in getting answers on which engines and components will work and which won't work.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2.4 Turbo PT. The seller states "The engine requires swap. Doesn't start". As this is sold by the automechanics shop, I assume the problem is not just a torn timing belt or something else they could fix quickly and sell it as a working car.

As for my question about a swap, I asked about a swap of the dead turbo with a working non-turbo 2.4 from a PT or a Sebring/Stratus.

·
Registered
292 Posts
well since it's a turbo already, the PCM would look for turbo related electrical stuff which wouldnt be there since it's NA and would always set off a check engine light. It may even cause poor perfromance. the best thing to do honestly is 1. check the timing belt, the top cover is fairly easy to take off. and if you do need to swap the engine stay with what was in it before

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
you want the turbo engine anyway, makes the
difference between a slouch and a pocket rocket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts