Allpar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so recently I've noticed that my shifter seems a bit loose, here is a video explaining everything. Excuse the mess in the car I went to McDonald's with some friends and am yet to clean it out lol. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Video Link

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,233 Posts
Nab a helper to work the shifter while you look at the shift cable ends under the hood for play. The shift cable ends at the base of the shift lever inside the car can wear also, but I have found the underhood ones to be most troublesome.
Some aftermarket bushings may be poor quality or too soft. Mopar only sells the complete shift cables to fix this. If the transaxle shift lever pivots are rusty, they can tear up the new bushings.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nab a helper to work the shifter while you look at the shift cable ends under the hood for play. The shift cable ends at the base of the shift lever inside the car can wear also, but I have found the underhood ones to be most troublesome.
Some aftermarket bushings may be poor quality or too soft. Mopar only sells the complete shift cables to fix this. If the transaxle shift lever pivots are rusty, they can tear up the new bushings.

Ok sounds like a plan. Will do ASAP in the next couple days. If it's bad enough do you think the cable could snap and leave me stranded?

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Ok sounds like a plan. Will do ASAP in the next couple days. If it's bad enough do you think the cable could snap and leave me stranded?
The cable likely won’t snap. But the bushing can become so worn the cable either pops off or can no longer move the shifter.

Reactions: 421 SD Poncho

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alight and yeah the bushings in the center console area looked very normal, one of them only being a couple months old, and the other one looks totally fine, I just have to worry about the ones under the hood which I have not checked yet and could be the source of the problem. I just want to check it sooner than later so that it doesn't have a problem on the road lol
The cable likely won’t snap. But the bushing can become so worn the cable either pops off or can no longer move the shifter.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Remove the battery and then its tray and you'll be looking directly at the shifter cable attachment points. There will be a battery temperature sensor attached to the bottom of the tray. Make sure it's in the original position when you reinstall the tray.
As was said above, I also highly recommend the "BOOGER BUSHINGS".

Jerry

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Remove the battery and then its tray and you'll be looking directly at the shifter cable attachment points. There will be a battery temperature sensor attached to the bottom of the tray. Make sure it's in the original position when you reinstall the tray.
As was said above, I also highly recommend the "BOOGER BUSHINGS".

Jerry
Awesome thanks I think I'll purchase those as they're a very good price for a full set of bushings.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is what you will see after removing the battery tray.
View attachment 84106

Jerry
And do you have any advice for getting the stock bushings out and putting the new ones in? I want to get the whole set and replace the ones under the battery and under the center console. I've just heard they can be a pain to get the stock ones out. Do you know if the booger bushings have instructions with them?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.