Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,i know these engines have compatibility issues I'd just like to ask if anyone knows what they are and if so can they be fixed in order for this swap to take place ? I have the 05 engine waiting to go in and everythings dependant on this information .Thanks!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Welcome :)

The Gen1 ('01-'05) has a completely different electrical system than the Gen2 ('06-'10) which uses the CAN bus system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome :)

The Gen1 ('01-'05) has a completely different electrical system than the Gen2 ('06-'10) which uses the CAN bus system.
"tipm" replaced the old system in 06,yet as far as "compatible" type 2.4's go they list 05-08's,so perhaps the fact of the CAN bus system in the 06-10's doesn't effect the engine compatibility ?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
"tipm" replaced the old system in 06,yet as far as "compatible" type 2.4's go they list 05-08's,so perhaps the fact of the CAN bus system in the 06-10's doesn't effect the engine compatibility ?
I would think you would have to check out that all the sensors remain the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think you would have to check out that all the sensors remain the same.
I agree and if a sensor makes this 05 motor be listed as"incompatible" then hopefully theres a way to work around it .if so that's my plan .My concern is a "no start" condition with a mechanical problem thats going to take more time and expense than one of these cars are worth .

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
One thing to look for is the position of the crankshaft position sensor in the block. I know at some point that changed. Also the crankshaft target ring, that is necessary for the crankshaft position signal, changed at some point. I believe the number of teeth on the ring changed. Either of these differences will be a big problem.

I rebuilt the 2.4 in my 04 PT. Bought the rebuild kit from Rock Auto. It wasn't bad and now I have about 115,000 miles on the rebuild. Just another option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
21,401 Posts
I have used the 2012 Mopar reman catalog to check on 'direct fits'. See p. 22 here:
http://www.moparrepairconnection.ca/assets/docs/reman/reman-parts-catalogue-EN.pdf
2004-2006 PT long blocks are the same part # R3424846.
The 2003 PT and 2007-2010 PT both use # R3424877. skipping over 2004-2006.
There is no information about what on the applications are different, just like the Hollander Interchange manuals.
See p.27 for cylinder heads. 2004-2009 PT use the same part. The turbo head is different.
Something must be different about the 2.4L PT short blocks? You could look up block, crank, piston and rod part numbers to find what might be different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts