Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2005 PT Cruiser. The key is in but the key lock cylinder is broken. Cannot get key into the position to remove cylinder and program new cylinder to my (car) current key. Key has a chip. Car is stranded 10 miles out in woods.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
. . . The key is in but the key lock cylinder is broken. Cannot get key into the position to remove cylinder and program new cylinder to my (car) current key. Key has a chip. Car is stranded 10 miles out in woods. . . .
Disconnect one battery cable for safety. Remove the upper and lower shrouds on the steering column and immediately behind the steering wheel. Look under and upward at the steering column area covered by the removed shroud. Remove several fasteners that attach the key lock housing to the steering column. You may need tamper proof torx bits to remove the fasteners. Once the fasteners are removed you should be able to slide the key lock housing from the ignition switch. See attached image. Note the orientation of the lock switch extension actuator. This mates to an internal slot in the ignition switch and causes the switch mechanism to rotate when turning the key switch.

Take the lock housing to a lock smith. He / she may be able to get the damaged lock cylinder removed from the lock housing and make repairs.

Ignition Key Lock Housing.gif

1 - 3 of 3 Posts