Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 dodge charger with the police package. the back doors will not open from the inside and the wondows do not roll down. which makes sense for a cop. i need some help on getting this fixed. id like to be able to open and roll down the windows from the back. also how and where can i get parts to do it? and finally the shifter is on the dash, id like to move it to the console? can SOMEONE please help me!!! :cop:

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
If I were you, I'd got look for a pair of rear doors from a wrecked car, buy them complete, and then do what's necessary to swap everything in. I wouldn't bother trying to piecemeal it.

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
The changes to get the power windows back to civilian use may be able to be done with the dealer Starscan tool (take the BCM out of public safety-mode). The inside door handles may be re-engaged by the latch 'child lock-out' tabs located near the rear door latches on the door.
The instructions may be addressed in your owners manual.
The only suggestion for swapping the shifter from the column to the floor would be to find a donor car. It may not be worth the amount of time and money to do this swap. Column, cables, front seats and wiring harnesses may also be different and you would want the factory service manual to proceed with this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you didn't want these options, why'd you buy a police car?

Sell it and buy a retail car.
destiny102009 said:
I have a 2006 dodge charger with the police package. the back doors will not open from the inside and the wondows do not roll down. which makes sense for a cop. i need some help on getting this fixed. id like to be able to open and roll down the windows from the back. also how and where can i get parts to do it? and finally the shifter is on the dash, id like to move it to the console?

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
DiGiTaL D said:
If you didn't want these options, why'd you buy a police car?

Sell it and buy a retail car.
I have a '95 Impala SS. While it's got most of the same drivetrain as the Caprice 9C1 police package cars, it lacks some body-frame bushings and many cooling options, has a less powerful alternator, and that sort. In my case, the things that the car has special to the Impala SS more than make up for those missing Caprice copcar options, but since above the R/T Charger is only the SRT8 Charger with its premium fuel requirement and premium price, I could see one wanting the heavier duty options of a cop car in their production vehicle. Heck, I retrofitted a cop front sway bar, cop torsion bars, and cop front spring hangers into my '78 Cordoba to give myself the better options for that car.

Of course, the column situation would be either accepted or else would have prevented the purchase. I actually want an LX with a column shifter, most of the vehicles I drive are automatics on the column and I like it that way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a great car minus the back windows not rolling down and opening from the inside. The shifter I can deal with. Any other suggestions

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
Was a dealer unable to help you?
You can probably reconnect the rear latch linkage yourself. If it is just the child-proof latch levers being engaged in safety mode, you don't even have to remove the door trim panels.
What was their explanation on the rear windows not working?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts