Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the high pressure AC hose replaced on the car and the guys showed me why the line had worn and flexed. The engine moves several inches when put in gear and much strain is put on the engine. (Setting there, foot on brake and a little gas.) Actually it kind of jumps back when put in gear. They said the top and bottom mounts were bad and were a difficult job. I can see where the engine is moving in the top strut, can't really see the bottom. The middle weight bearing mount does not seem to be moving. I have read an earlier topic and folks here said the struts are not difficult to replace, just be careful about the angle. My questions are: Do the top and bottom struts need to be replaced together? Is this a real hard job, just the struts not the middle mount? Thanks to anyone that can offer advise.

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
The middle mount into the frame is more of a pivot. The top and bottom mount 'arms' have rubber bushings at the ends that can wear and soften. Expect some engine movement. The rubber hose portion of the A/C plumbing should allow for the flexing.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Changing the upper and lower mounts is not a bad job. Aligning it is simply measuring from a point near the passenger side strut mount to the center of one of the bolts on the upper engine mount. A shop manual would have the dimension.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts