Allpar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the scoop... daughter threw a timing belt in her '05 PT Cruiser before paying it off, so her dad decided to take over payments and fix himself. Coworker sold him an '06 that had been wrecked, but motor was still good. It had sat at original owner's house for month after wreck. Coworker drove it home 15 miles, died while running. Coworker never tried to fix it. Husband started with replacement of cam and crank sensors, as our daughter's had to be replaced. Then he thought maybe it was a fuel cutoff, but that wouldn't explain stall while driving, and Chrysler doesn't have one like our Fords. So, before he spends all of our savings trying things, was hoping someone would give me a path to nudge him in first. Please? Thanks.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,012 Posts
Need clarification. Has the engine from the '05 been installed in the '06? Or is he just trying to the '05 engine running? Chrysler's don't have a fuel cut off but they do have an ASD (Automatic Shutdown Relay) that essentially does the same thing. Also '06 was the first year Chrysler converted to a TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module). The '05 should only have a IPM (Integrated Power Module) so the wiring is bound to be different than the '06.

Either way the first thing I would do is check for any fault codes. Then go from there. Diagnose first. Don't keep throwing parts at it.

Reactions: JeninMT

·
Super Moderator
37,861 Posts
I'm confused. Which one is he working on? The 06?
The engine in the 05 won't be damaged by a bad timing belt in most cases (it is very unlikely) so how does the 06 come into the picture?

If the car isn't running, the first thing to do is pull a spark plug and see if there is spark. If there is, the next thing is to try is some starter fluid down the throttle body. If it starts after that, the problem is in the fuel system.

Reactions: Doug D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Need clarification. Has the engine from the '05 been installed in the '06? Or is he just trying to the '05 engine running? Chrysler's don't have a fuel cut off but they do have an ASD (Automatic Shutdown Relay) that essentially does the same thing. Also '06 was the first year Chrysler converted to a TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module). The '05 should only have a IPM (Integrated Power Module) so the wiring is bound to be different than the '06.

Either way the first thing I would do is check for any fault codes. Then go from there. Diagnose first. Don't keep throwing parts at it.
Engine has not been switched yet. Can they be swapped out with the change from IPM TO TIPM? I tried to tell him these newer engines aren't plug and play like old ones. I'll let him know about changes from 05 to 06. He's working on getting '06 engine working now. No point in trying '05 as the timing belt broke while running. It's toast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm confused. Which one is he working on? The 06?
The engine in the 05 won't be damaged by a bad timing belt in most cases (it is very unlikely) so how does the 06 come into the picture?

If the car isn't running, the first thing to do is pull a spark plug and see if there is spark. If there is, the next thing is to try is some starter fluid down the throttle body. If it starts after that, the problem is in the fuel system.
He's working on '06 hoping to swap engine into '05. She broke timing belt while driving. Was told it would trash engine if it it broke while moving. Could engine still be okay after that? We were just going by what she said. Hubby picked up wrecked '06 for 100.00 for an engine to swap. As for what they've tried, I know they tried getting it to run with starter fluid, but do t know about plugs. I will share your thoughts. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
37,861 Posts
He's working on '06 hoping to swap engine into '05. She broke timing belt while driving. Was told it would trash engine if it it broke while moving. Could engine still be okay after that? We were just going by what she said. Hubby picked up wrecked '06 for 100.00 for an engine to swap. As for what they've tried, I know they tried getting it to run with starter fluid, but do t know about plugs. I will share your thoughts. Thanks.
A broken timing belt on a PT Cruiser seldom damages the engine.
On many cars, if the timing belt breaks the valves hit the pistons and the head and engine can be damages.
This does not happen on a PT Cruiser engine. The valves and piston won't touch. There is a small chance valves could hit each other - but that is very uncommon. The 05 should be fine with a timing belt swap.

Reactions: Doug D

·
Super Moderator
37,861 Posts
The 06 and 05 engines do appear to interchange, but it will be a lot more work than swapping the timing belt (though the belt swap is a chore).

Reactions: JeninMT and Doug D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A broken timing belt on a PT Cruiser seldom damages the engine.
On many cars, if the timing belt breaks the valves hit the pistons and the head and engine can be damages.
This does not happen on a PT Cruiser engine. The valves and piston won't touch. There is a small chance valves could hit each other - but that is very uncommon. The 05 should be fine with a timing belt swap.
I will let him know. We may end up with 2 cars. I'm sure he'll still try to get 06 going. He's bought it now. Lol. Maybe the damage is cosmetic. Thanks a lot.

·
Super Moderator
21,701 Posts
The PT 2.4L is a non-interference engine according to the Gates timing belt catalog.
Valiant is correct that the engines are rarely damaged by a belt breakage.
Much easier to change a belt and water pump than change an engine assembly.

Reactions: Bob Lincoln

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The PT 2.4L is a non-interference engine according to the Gates timing belt catalog.
Valiant is correct that the engines are rarely damaged by a belt breakage.
Much easier to change a belt and water pump than change an engine assembly.
So, he should just get new belt and water pump? That sounds much easier. Not that putting the belt in will be fun, but neighbor has cherry picker and has offered assistance.

·
Registered
191 Posts
So, he should just get new belt and water pump? That sounds much easier. Not that putting the belt in will be fun, but neighbor has cherry picker and has offered assistance.
Buy the timing belt "kit". The belt, water pump, and idlers. The bolts, ALL the bolts, are torque sensitive, so torque them to spec. The belt tension itself is tight sensitive, so set it to spec too, or it will let you know in short order.
The belt install is no fun, but is more fun than swapping a motor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Buy the timing belt "kit". The belt, water pump, and idlers. The bolts, ALL the bolts, are torque sensitive, so torque them to spec. The belt tension itself is tight sensitive, so set it to spec too, or it will let you know in short order.
The belt install is no fun, but is more fun than swapping a motor.
Sounds good. He spoke with my daughter and she said the mechanic they took it to said the valves on #4 cylinder were damaged. He was wondering if the heads on both engines are compatible and he could just swap those out instead of whole engine. (I think he's way over his head, but it's his project. Lol)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sounds good. He spoke with my daughter and she said the mechanic they took it to said the valves on #4 cylinder were damaged. He was wondering if the heads on both engines are compatible and he could just swap those out instead of whole engine. (I think he's way over his head, but it's his project. Lol)
There is no way of telling if the valves on #4 are bad unless the mechanic pulled the valve cover and cam to check the valve height. You can't check the compression with a broken cam belt.
Here is what I would do: take the front off of the motor (like you would do to replace the cam belt, or head, so you are not wasting time), remove the valve cover, manually bring the cam to TDC #4, air up the cylinder with the compression tester spark plug adapter, and see if the valves leak.
Swapping heads is dumb, you will be out the cost of a head set (gaskets and seals) and a set of head bolts........... if the head has to come off get it rebuilt.

·
Super Moderator
32,329 Posts
It is possible to check for valve damage with the engine assembled - using a boroscope and light. But that's probably the only way.

·
Super Moderator
21,701 Posts
I have removed the rocker shafts, or at least unbolted them far enough where all the valves were fully closed. Then add compressed air into a spark plug hole with a compression gauge adapter hose.
It doesn't matter where the piston is and the air will usually force it to BDC. Check each cylinder.
If you hear an air hiss, find out if it is exiting the tailpipe, intake throttle body or oil filler cap.
Burned valves would not be from a broken belt. Check for a lean mixture or pre-ignition at the #4 cylinder.

Reactions: Junkman George
1 - 15 of 15 Posts