Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple months ago, went out to the car to drive to work and noticed the driver's window was down that 1 inch it goes down to clear the convertible top's rubber seal when you open the door. The passenger side was normal. Rolled the window down on the way to work and it wouldn't go back up. All other windows worked normally. I did not try to put the top down.

I tried the "disconnect battery to reset the smart window module" as per a youtube video but no luck.

A couple days later, I took the door panel off and removed the whole scissor assembly from the door. I removed the motor / gear assm. from the scissor assm. and turned the key to run (to confirm it wasn't mechanically binding) and without touching the window switch, the motor kept continually spinning in one direction -> down.

I manually moved the scissor to the up position and reinstalled the motor assm, put it back in the car and left the electrical connector off. Window is up at the expense of the driver's quarter window and using the convertible top!

I assume there must be a bottom travel limit switch in the motor gear housing that's gone bad BUT I have no idea how these systems work ... am on the verge of buying a replacement regulator assm. and they are apparently very expensive.

Any information, help, links are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
21,370 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. There is no travel switch and I doubt that the regulator is bad. The window stop limits are by sensed Hall-effect pulses through the door window module. You may have a switch or door window module issue here . These modules can store fault codes and are addressable with the StarScan (or equivalent).
To do this level of electrical diagnosis and repair you really should have a service manual for reference.

·
Super Moderator
21,370 Posts
In each door of the convertible there is a window regulator module directly connected to each of the front door window regulator motors. The modules control window motor operation and smart glass functions. The driver window module controls the convertible top operations.

The window regulator modules are directly connected to each of the front door window regulator motors. The front window switches communicate with the Cab Compartment Node (CCN) via the Local Interconnect Network (LIN) bus. The CCN then communicates with the regulator module via the Controlled Area Network (CAN). The rear window switches are hard wired by a MUX circuit to the respective window regulator module. The respective rear window motor is hard wired to the module. The front window motor is directly attached to the module. Both front door window switches have the express down feature. The module will cease lowering the front glass when a fully down position is sensed through the hall effect sensor.

On convertible vehicles, the convertible top switch is hard wired to both window regulator modules by the Power Top Switch Mux circuit. When a top operation input is received by the driver window module, it will ground the respective relay control circuit which in turn will operate the motor. If the convertible top switch is pressed and held to the down position second detent, it will command both modules to drop all windows to the fully down position. The windows cannot be raised when the convertible top switch is in the top down position. When the switch is held in the top up position and all four windows are fully up, the modules will lower the respective front window 40 mm (1.6 in), lower the respective rear window approximately 55 mm (2 in) and the driver window module will ground the top up relay control circuit. Once the top is back up the windows will not raise automatically.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I.C.

Phew!! Nice response. :3rd:

When you publish that encyclopedia of PT Cruiser posts I'd like to order a copy of that 13 volume set.

Mr2Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts