Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article:

Roughly one in five plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) owners switched back to owning gas-powered cars, in large part because charging the batteries was a pain in the… trunk, the researchers found.

Of those who switched, over 70% lacked access to Level 2 charging at home, and slightly fewer than that lacked Level 2 connections at their workplace.

Full article here:

1 in 5 electric vehicle owners in California switched back to gas because charging their cars is a hassle, new research shows (msn.com)

Reactions: David S

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Laredo, 2017 Jeep Wrangler
1,168 Posts
This is what I've been saying for years, until the infrastructure catches up, electric vehicles are for people who own their own homes have a garage and can install the dedicated charger, the rest (apartment dwellers and condo/coop owners) should buy only hybrids.
And now for a little levity:

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Laredo, 2017 Jeep Wrangler
1,168 Posts
Until the 4/5 get the eventual bill for battery replacement. Every battery has a limited # of cycles

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The other problem with full electric is the unknown range element.

Go visit grandma this fall and you can make it on one charge.
Go visit grandma this winter and you may need to stop and recharge along the way.

This variability may improve, but will be an issue for those with repetitive travel and different outcomes.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I assume most ev buyers are actually leases, or at least turn in before the warranty is up. For the long trips, you can always rent gas powered vehicles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For now, yes but if the regulation ever outlaw ice that's different. In the right applications, I don't have a problem with it but the right application isn't 100% of cars on the market.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
From the article:

Roughly one in five plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) owners switched back to owning gas-powered cars, in large part because charging the batteries was a pain in the… trunk, the researchers found.

Of those who switched, over 70% lacked access to Level 2 charging at home, and slightly fewer than that lacked Level 2 connections at their workplace.

Full article here:

1 in 5 electric vehicle owners in California switched back to gas because charging their cars is a hassle, new research shows (msn.com)
Just go PHEV, you can't go wrong.

At some point in the future when electricity prices shoot up due to the demand of all the BEVs on the road and gasoline prices drop due to reduced demand you are still in the right vehicle for economical operation.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I just think hybrids are the best of both worlds with the ability to adapt to whatever environment you have to drive in.

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I haven't really paid close attention to them, but at the present, aren't a lot, if not most of, the charging stations free for anyone to use?

·
Registered
83 Posts
For now, yes but if the regulation ever outlaw ice that's different. In the right applications, I don't have a problem with it but the right application isn't 100% of cars on the market.
Way too many people are anti climate change and won't give up the big Pickups with the diesel engines until the fuel runs out.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Way too many people are anti climate change and won't give up the big Pickups with the diesel engines until the fuel runs out.
So if you drive a diesel pickup that makes you automatically anti climate change, that sounds like a generally ignorant, untrue and unprovable statement.

·
Registered
94 Posts
This suggests that if the government, especially in someplace like California where real estate is expensive, wants to promote EV's, they should promote home and apartment complex charging stations like crazy, not just the cars themselves. While they're at it, they might want to promote combos that include home solar, home batteries, and sharing between car and home systems, since electric cars will increase electric demand and there's advantages to spreading out capacity.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, hybrids are a nice stopgap between ICE and full electric. However, if you buy a hybrid and are not able to charge it fully overnight, why did you pay that extra money?

If you run a hybrid almost all the time using the ICE engine, you are more inefficient than if you bought a pure ICE.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,014 Posts
I assume most ev buyers are actually leases, or at least turn in before the warranty is up. For the long trips, you can always rent gas powered vehicles.
Ha ha! Have you checked car rental rates lately? Rates have tripled and in some cases no vehicles are available. In some cases, customers have found it cheaper to rent U-Haul vans/trucks.

I haven't really paid close attention to them, but at the present, aren't a lot, if not most of, the charging stations free for anyone to use?
Not all of them. Even Tesla only pays for a year as I recall.

So if you drive a diesel pickup that makes you automatically anti climate change, that sounds like a generally ignorant, untrue and unprovable statement.
Diesel truck owners are, in general, unique sort of customer. In most cases, they went with diesel to fulfill a specific need or task - usually towing or hauling. There just isn't anything comparable in the EV market.

and a gas engine only last so long.
So my '06 Ram Dodge Ram 1500 with 274K miles is done? I've had several vehicles that logged over 200K miles with one going over 300K. In each case but one, the engine was still going strong, but it was something else about the vehicle that caused me to sell/junk/trade it. Probably could have gotten over 500K out of them if I tried. Oh and by the way - batteries only last so long as well.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Not all of them. Even Tesla only pays for a year as I recall.
I thought it might be one of those things that where in the beginning, manufacturers all conglomerated together to offer free electricity charging stations, to entice people to buy electric vehicles, and when electric vehicles were scarce, those that owned the early electric vehicles maybe thought how cool it is to be able to charge their cars for free. Then when a lot more electric vehicles were sold, "they" pull the rug out from under the feet of electric vehicle owners and then all of sudden, no more free charging stations and now everyone must pay, just when they got hooked on getting something for free. Well, nothing in life is free.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
1) I know people how have had the Prius and had to replace batteries after 6-7 years at a cost of over 3 grand. I have never replaced an engine in any vehicle I’ve owned. Oldest in the fleet now is a 23 year old Grand Cherokee 4.0 six with 180,000 on it.
2) it’s not all about efficiency; at least to me it’s about something that works all the time in all environments. Pure electric would not.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts