Allpar Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 128 Posts
Well then beyond the risk of leaking gasoline, just what are the hazards of back pack blowers? All of my equipment is hand held.
In a vehicle electrical system, one thing people forget is that the entire frame & body are a return path. This means that when installing a new battery, you should always disconnect the negative cable first, and the positive cable last, to neutralize the return path which will prevent a dead short to ground if your wrench happens to touch the frame, or body when installing the positive cable. Installation, connect the positive first, then negative for the same reason.
I still think DIY'ers doing a self install of a Prius or any other hybrid or full electric battery is risky. So electric car fans should add the cost of labor to the cost of battery replacement.
DIY'ers have enough trouble properly installing lead acid batteries in vehicles and boats from what I hear! The battery companies could make it easier by painting a large red "+" next to the positive post to make it obvious. I hear about this all the time on boating bulletin boards, in a dark bilge, someone installs a new battery....backwards....to the sound of sizzling electrical components...

It's a compromise not matter what fuel type you pick. I needed a gas mower in Pittsburgh, I have an electric mower here in Georgia. Both were the right choices for the situations.

Starts first try every time, fuel already provided.

From the article:

Roughly one in five plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) owners switched back to owning gas-powered cars, in large part because charging the batteries was a pain in the… trunk, the researchers found.

Of those who switched, over 70% lacked access to Level 2 charging at home, and slightly fewer than that lacked Level 2 connections at their workplace.

Full article here:

1 in 5 electric vehicle owners in California switched back to gas because charging their cars is a hassle, new research shows (msn.com)
Have said this all along. Until you can charge them in 10 minutes or less and charging stations are as ubiqitous as gas stations they will be a niche product. No one
wants to have to stand outside when it is 10 degrees out hooking up their charger either. Anyone who lives in any type of apartment also wont be able to easily use of these .

I thought it might be one of those things that where in the beginning, manufacturers all conglomerated together to offer free electricity charging stations, to entice people to buy electric vehicles, and when electric vehicles were scarce, those that owned the early electric vehicles maybe thought how cool it is to be able to charge their cars for free. Then when a lot more electric vehicles were sold, "they" pull the rug out from under the feet of electric vehicle owners and then all of sudden, no more free charging stations and now everyone must pay, just when they got hooked on getting something for free. Well, nothing in life is free.
also all EV owners need to start coughing up some cash to pay for the roads too as a lot of it is currently paid for by gas taxes .

I just think hybrids are the best of both worlds with the ability to adapt to whatever environment you have to drive in.
At least until you have to start having maintenance on two different drivetrains . Not something I want to do in the salt laden roads of
the northeast where corrosion is what ends the life of all vehicles. If you live down south where it never snows then yeah it is a valid option .

also all EV owners need to start coughing up some cash to pay for the roads too as a lot of it is currently paid for by gas taxes .
I heard this statistic the other day:

"The gas tax has not been raised in 28 years, and America’s infrastructure network is suffering the consequences. The tax was last raised in 1993 from 14.1 cents to 18.4 cents per gallon, where it remains today. Because the gas tax is not pegged to inflation, its purchasing power has eroded significantly over the past 28 years, and the tax is now “worth” 45 percent less than in 1993; if the tax had been indexed for inflation each year since 1993, it would be approximately 15 cents higher in 2021. The decline in purchasing power has important implications for the federal budget and our nation’s infrastructure, and has led some to call for a new effort to address the gas tax."

They could do that based on how much electricity you are charging your vehicle with, or they will have to monitor the # of miles that you're driving.

Either way, "big brother" will be watching you, but it's about the only way that everyone pay their fair share, basically "pay by use" the more someone uses the roads, the more they pay.

I heard this statistic the other day:

"The gas tax has not been raised in 28 years, and America’s infrastructure network is suffering the consequences. The tax was last raised in 1993 from 14.1 cents to 18.4 cents per gallon, where it remains today. Because the gas tax is not pegged to inflation, its purchasing power has eroded significantly over the past 28 years, and the tax is now “worth” 45 percent less than in 1993; if the tax had been indexed for inflation each year since 1993, it would be approximately 15 cents higher in 2021. The decline in purchasing power has important implications for the federal budget and our nation’s infrastructure, and has led some to call for a new effort to address the gas tax."
How about analyzing where that tax money is spent before hiking the fuel tax whether it be federal or state? A portion of the highway money doesn't go to fix highways, but also supports mass transit. And there is probably an amount that is wasted and doesn't go to fixing/repairing/building roads.

Yes, vehicles are far more efficient, but there is also a lot more of them in use.

There is a cost to maintaining roads. If it is financed through fuel taxes, and overall revenue drops due to more efficient vehicles being on the road, that revenue has to be replaced somehow. Deciding how is a dialog to be had with your representatives, or they will take the initiative without you. But cutting work performed to match the declining revenue is not an option, when you have a failure like the I-40 bridge over the Mississippi River that was found last week.

There is a cost to maintaining roads. If it is financed through fuel taxes, and overall revenue drops due to more efficient vehicles being on the road, that revenue has to be replaced somehow. Deciding how is a dialog to be had with your representatives, or they will take the initiative without you. But cutting work performed to match the declining revenue is not an option, when you have a failure like the I-40 bridge over the Mississippi River that was found last week.
But its not dropping...not in GA..our Gas Tax revenue increased from Feb. 2019 to Feb. 2020...now I'm sure it dropped in 2020 due to the Covid shutdown...but overall revenue has gone up...not down. So maybe your state declined..but I bet it didn't which just goes to show you don't have to raise taxes to increase revenue..get more people working and revenue will increase...Magic!!!

Discussion starter · #74 ·
But its not dropping...not in GA..our Gas Tax revenue increased from Feb. 2019 to Feb. 2020...now I'm sure it dropped in 2020 due to the Covid shutdown...but overall revenue has gone up...not down. So maybe your state declined..but I bet it didn't which just goes to show you don't have to raise taxes to increase revenue..get more people working and revenue will increase...Magic!!!
Yes, the article also conveniently ignores that states have raised fuel taxes over these years.

Why do we need Washington DC to launder the tax revenue? The states collect it, send it to DC who then sends it back to the states for road work.

How stupid are we voters?

Reactions: David S
That's probably a 6-beer workout...where as a riding mower is only 1.
Nope, zero beers, simple 2-hour stroll for 1/2 acre lot. I have an electric mower that's harder to push and heavier, and more awkward between turns and 150 feet of extension cord.

Reactions: 06PTElectricBlue
Wrong. Revenue from this tax IS declining in MA, and has been for many years. Has nothing to do with the pandemic historically.
Yes, the article also conveniently ignores that states have raised fuel taxes over these years.

Why do we need Washington DC to launder the tax revenue? The states collect it, send it to DC who then sends it back to the states for road work.

How stupid are we voters?
This is incorrect. Our state collects the revenue and uses it for state roads and projects. There is a separate federal gasoline tax which is used for federal highways.

Discussion starter · #77 ·
Wrong. Revenue from this tax IS declining in MA, and has been for many years. Has nothing to do with the pandemic historically.

This is incorrect. Our state collects the revenue and uses it for state roads and projects. There is a separate federal gasoline tax which is used for federal highways.

Discussion starter · #78 ·
The Federal Highway Trust Fund was setup to create the interstate system. We are not really building new interstates anymore at the rate we once did.

So, it is time to end the Federal Highway Trust Fund and allow states to be creative in funding maintenance as well as mass transit.

Get DC out of local decisions!

Have said this all along. Until you can charge them in 10 minutes or less and charging stations are as ubiqitous as gas stations they will be a niche product. No one
wants to have to stand outside when it is 10 degrees out hooking up their charger either. Anyone who lives in any type of apartment also wont be able to easily use of these .
Georgia charges a yearly registration fee to owners of electric vehicles. only way to be more fair would be to eliminate all tax on fuels and charge by mile/weight.

The beauty of charging the electric car is once you hook it up at 10º, you can go inside. You don't have to stand there holding the gas pump.

As for chargers, many Atlanta area apartment complexes off this amenity. If the demand grows, more apartment complexes will offer it.

The choice of an EV isn't for everyone, but it is becoming easier to live with one as time goes on.

Reactions: somber
Reactions: David S
61 - 80 of 128 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.