Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have trouble with my 2013 Town and Country.
After sitting overnight it makes this awful sound on cold start. Noise goes away after few seconds. The more colder it gets outside the more intense the sound happens to be.

Town and country

·
Super Moderator
21,700 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2 noises- one sounds like a rocker/roller going bad- and second sounds like power steering pump- our 12 Town and country and 14 wrangler have the tapping- wrangler has a CEL related to oil control valve and is pretty aweful on cold days or after sitting too long

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Already got rid of ticking sound (rocker arm and camshaft had to be replaced)
Power steering fluid is between min and max level.

·
Super Moderator
21,700 Posts
A sure way to find out if it is the idler, is to remove the serpentine belt and test start it cold.
If the noise isn't there, there is a good chance that the idler bearing is the offender.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
. . . Hey guys I have trouble with my 2013 Town and Country.
After sitting overnight it makes this awful sound on cold start. Noise goes away after few seconds. The more colder it gets outside the more intense the sound happens to be. . . . .
Another possibility is the alternator decoupler pulley is slipping upon engine start. Pulley makes noise until the rotor is brought up to matching speed with the pulley.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I removed serpentine belt and noise still comes out from the engine bay

·
Super Moderator
21,700 Posts
If the noise is still present with the belt off, it is not from the idler or pulley decoupler.
Can you locate the noise source or get closer to it?
Is it at the front (passenger side) of the engine, like from the timing chain/oil pump area?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the noise is still present with the belt off, it is not from the idler or pulley decoupler.
Can you locate the noise source or get closer to it?
Is it at the front (passenger side) of the engine, like from the timing chain/oil pump area?
Seems to be drivers side, transmission area.

·
Super Moderator
21,700 Posts
Does the noise change when putting it into gear?
Any transaxle service history?
Does the pitch change with engine speed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does the noise change when putting it into gear?
Any transaxle service history?
Does the pitch change with engine speed?
Noise usually dissappears before I put the car into gear.
In video below you can hear it for a sec
Tc
And here I noticed a clunk noise when I apply some throttle on 4th gear, don't know if that has anything to do with my problem
TC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts