Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a write-up for replacing the drivers door actuator in my 2001 that none of us owners have been able to find in any parts stores nationwide.

PT Cruiser door lock actuator-aftermarket replacement.

The following is my substitution of a $17 generic drivers door lock actuator from JC Whitney into the driver’s door lock actuators position. Here’s comparison picture of the two. The black unit is the new one from JC Whitney. Both are 2 wire types.

I need to note that the door handle screws have a star type screw that looks like the picture below.
The rest of the door panel is held on by regular Phillips screws.

Here’s a look at the original unit placed on the outside of the door in it’s OEM location.

Matching the lower mounting screwhole you have to drill a new hole for the aftermarket unit.

Here’s the 2 mounting screws location after installation of the actuator and pushing the actuators rod back up thru the pinch connector at the push lock location at the window opening.

Finally, just before putting the door panel back together put the green and blue wires into their connectors.

So that’s the whole shebang in short form. Using a $17 part to fix a door actuator that appears not to be available anywhere. Good luck in any of your repairs.

Tim (Mr2Tim)
SupercharZed ToyZ RacZing
A Toyota Race Team since 1986
Boca Raton, Florida

·
Registered
31 Posts
great info.
as a remote starter installer,i have used many of these in non power door lock doors.
they work fine,i have paid as little as 8.99 for them,but the one you used i believe is the heavy duty one.
you should get years of service out of it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am also having a problem with my drivers door lock actuator. Makes a screeching sound when locking. I have looked in my car door and seen nothing like the blue actuator seen in the picture. It looks like mine is built completely into the door latch mechanism. I have also been unable to find an aftermarket lock actuator/lock combination for my drivers door. Could Chrysler have changed this mechanism or am I just not looking in the correct place. Help!!

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
What year? Some vehicles have a p/lock motor and door ajar switch that are integral with the door latch. The 'screech' is from a stripped plastic gear inside the mechanism.
A salvage yard may part with just the latch assembly from a damaged driver's door, but many times want to try and sell you the whole door. See what's out there in your area.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine is also a 2001 PT. It is the base model if that makes a difference. It looks to me like the actuator is part of the latch mechanism. Is there a part number for the replacement part from the factory? If so can anyone get me that number. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
You may want to confirm that this is the correct part (# 5027961AH) with a dealer before ordering it by having them look up the part using the last 8 characters of your VIN.
It is the drivers door latch equipped with power locks and door ajar light switch.
You will see it listed here by scrolling down the 'product fitment/applications' list. That part seems to cover a wide range of different vehicles and years:

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/products/CHRYSLER/2010/PT-CRUISER/LATCH-Left-Front-Door-Export/4307624/05027961AH.html

·
Registered
104 Posts
So I went to an Automotive Recycling Center and bought the lock actuator/ door lock unit. Replaced it and it works like new. Thanks for the info IC. Saved me money as always.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I purchased the lock actuator #005280071 from a salvage yard for my 2001 PT (the type that is built into the latch, NOT like mr2tim's). However, ended up my problem was with the RKE module. If anyone is interested in the actuator I purchased (it was tested and works), I'll sell it for what I've got into it ($40 plus shipping). I can send you pics as well, just send me you email address.

Art
[email protected]

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow Doug!!

Yours is a 2001 and has different lock ?? WTHeck?

The one I showed DIY pictures of is from a manual lock. Is yours from a "remote" setup by any chance?

Mr2Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts