Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
You’ll probably find it’s a lot easier than you think to remove the speedometer.
I removed the gauge cluster in one of my Acclaims once. It really wasn't that bad of a job.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Typically, you remove the lower trim panel beneath the steering column (a few screws); lower the steering column by loosening a couple of nuts on studs, til it drops enough for the cluster to clear it; shift it into 1st gear with brake set and wheels chocked, to get the lever out of the way; remove trim panel around cluster (usually a few screws), remove screws holding cluster, pull toward you, disconnect speedometer cable, two electrical plugs and lift out.

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have removed the instruments before when the speedometer cable broke and I could not get the new cable to seat when I feed the new cable into the speedometer. I also removed everything again a couple of times to make repairs to the the "climate" control panel.

Many of the fasteners/clips screws were not in their prime. The plastic panel was cracked but I found a replacement at the junk yard.

At the time I did not lower the steering column but did move the lever down which help get the instrument box out. It was difficult to disconnect the speedometer cable "lock?" with what little room there was to get my hand around to the back side.

So my greatest reluctance to doing it again is the fasteners, but never say never.

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I asked my mechanic friend about my A/C and the speedometer today. He mentioned a place out in Nevada that does a lot of good work on gauges and such. You folks may have heard of them, I don't know, but I was impressed with their immediate knowledge and assurance hey could fix the speedometer head.

They don't have a web site but (hope no rules are being broken) here they are from Googling.

Nevada Speedometer

Nevada Speedometer - Google Search (at https://www.google.com/search?q=Nevada+Speedometer&ie=&oe= )

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Next question......

How do I get ahold of a 1987 dodge 600se 2.5L speedometer head?

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think I found one listed as:

4051786 85 MPH SPEEDO 84-89 K BODY

Just waiting to hear back about its condition.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I would not remove the needle from the gauge. You will want to save the odometer with its reading, so take the replacement speedometer and try to swap the odometers. It's been a dozen years or more, but I remember it as being time-consuming, requiring tweezers, needlenose pliers and a lot of patience.

Reactions: valiant67

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This car's odometer only goes to 99,999 and starts at zero again. I'm pretty close to that now so I'll probably just replace the assembly as one piece.

I haven't received the new speedo head yet and not sure when I will, but if replacing the whole assembly I would assume it is just removing a few screws and reinstalling. I shouldn't have to remove any needles or anything else that might damage it and it should be calibrated already.

I am also ordering a replacement dash cluster/lens from Marty today and will transfer everything into it. Hopefully he picks out a good one.

Is there anything you folks don't like about this plan?

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Yes, just 2-3 Philips head screws, typically, to remove a gauge from the whole cluster.

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Speedo still hasn't arrived but I removed the old one.

Yep. Just a few screws to remove the whole thing. It will be very easy to change the odometer on this speedo to exactly match the old odometer. There is one retaining clip on one side of the drum axle that is easily removed. Raise the axle up on that one side and the individual drums are free to roam.

Clip On.JPG
Clip Off.JPG

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
30+ year old plastic can be very brittle or crumble when handled. Handle gingerly.
The head mounting screws may be 5/16" (8mm) head.

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Looking at the speedometer it doesn't look complicated with few parts. All gears look good. What part on this instrument would be causing the speed issue?

Hopefully it is the speedometer otherwise....

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Do any of you recommend any silicon lube on the new speedo gears before installment?

·
Super Moderator
36,923 Posts
Looking at the speedometer it doesn't look complicated with few parts. All gears look good. What part on this instrument would be causing the speed issue?

Hopefully it is the speedometer otherwise....
The odometer is purely mechanical, gear driven. The speedometer uses a magnetic assembly and springs to translate cable movement into a speed reading.

Edit: This is the silver "wheel" behind the odometer in your picture.

·
Banned
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Installed the NOS speedometer yesterday and checked it out today. All works mostly well. The speed is max off by just three mph at 65. SpeedO shows 65 actual 68. So that is a five mph betterment.

The mph needle was a bit jumpy but after a little wear is has settled down. Still not as smooth as the old speedO but I think with some more wear it might improve some more. Let me know if there is a remedy for this.

Just waiting for a couple more parts and I can finish putting it all back together.

Thanks to all for all the support. I appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Do they still make speedometer cable lubricant? I couldn't find any, and my truck is now clicking and needle jumping. May not be fully inserted at the dash end.

·
Super Moderator
36,923 Posts
When I couldn't find the proper lubricant, I used motorcycle cable lubricant. No idea if that was a good choice or not, but I drove the car 8 more years after than and never had another problem.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts