Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fixing to try a frame swap from a 1990 Dakota for my 1950 coronet. I have found some pics of this being done but no pics of the finished product and how the body sets on the frame. I have been reading on here already and found some interesting stuff. I want the old body look with the new tech. The Dakota already has the 318 in it with auto trans. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice project, love the coupes myself. I take it the wheelbase is correct and the frame doesn't need to be cut or modified as far as that goes. From there it is simply a matter of identifying the mounting locations on the coupe body and identify what kind of feet are needed to make mounting points on the frame. I know from experience the frame is pretty flat between the wheels and plenty to weld or bolt to. I think it was Rod and Custom or Street Rodder (most likely the latter), that changed a frame on a '50 Ford about five years back, it showed what was required to get the body support points to work and did not look difficult, but it is still a bit of work getting them in place, tacking them, fitting things, then removing the body one more time and final welding everything. I would think supporting the body by hanging it from above will allow you to lower and raise the body and not have to worry about any supports being in the way so you can move the frame as needed to get these support feet in place. Nothing is harder than having the body supported on the ground and having to work around jack stands or trying to raise or lower the body to check the fit. If the body is halfway dismantled (hood and trunk off), you can use the hood attachment loctions for the front hanging spot (bolt and plate and chain/rope to hold the front, trunk hinge the same way), then come-along or some other form of lifting device to hang the body from above, this way you can lift and drop front and rear independently. They do make the foot brackets in different lengths, universal, otherwise try the stock ones or something similar in design for strength/appearance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Do you have a factory shop manual for your 1950 Coronet? It shows all dimensions and mounting points for the body.
I also have a 1950 Coronet Club Coup and am having it restored. The car does not need a different front end suspension.
A carefull restoration and replacing the tires with radials will give you a car that is easy to drive and quite pleasant
in town or highway. You can even upgrade the brakes to discs on the original suspension without too much expense
and mechanical work. Replacing the under floor master brake cylinder with firewall mounted one would be nice but
I believe more work than it is worth. If you work through your proposed changes carefully I believe you should
come to the conclusion that changing the engine and transmission is a lot more realistic than changing the frame.
You might want to consider a high performance version of the Slant 6 instead of a 318. GCW

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
A friend of mine took a 50 dodge wayfarer and put the body on a 92 Lincoln coupe frame and it fit perfectly, he even used the seats and dashboard from the Lincoln, and he did this in his backyard. If you saw the car you would think it was original.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
A friend of mine took a 50 dodge wayfarer and put the body on a 92 Lincoln coupe frame and it fit perfectly, he even used the seats and dashboard from the Lincoln, and he did this in his backyard. If you saw the car you would think it was original.
1992 Lincoln coupe frame? I take it you're referring to maybe a subframe from maybe a Lincoln Mark VII? Why I ask after ca. 1984 all BoF lincoln cars were Town Cars which were 4 door sedans only.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts