Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help. I own a 1950 Dodge Cornet that has 27K documented miles on her and my problem is the car is real difficult to get into reverse. I have the shop manual and can not find anything in the manual that provides information on how to adjust the linkage. Does anyone know of where I can find this information it will be really appreciated.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I've split this topic out from where it was, since it is a Chrysler product.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
I believe you have a three speed manual transmission. Correct? If so, it should be a selector type transmission. One big lever moved by the up and down movement of the control lever and a small lever moved by the pulling the control towards you. The neutral position should be approximately horizontal to slightly above horizontal but must be able to fully engage the gear without the lever bottoming out against it's end travel. The small lever must allow full stroke from it's normal position which is spring loaded in the second/high gear position (linkage adjusted so that it is positively pushing that small lever into high range) and it should be able to pull that lever more stroke than the small lever can move. if it does not pull that much, you need to find the place of excess slop. Other than that, the only issue should be the clutch not fully disengaging and that should be noted by the gears grinding as you try to shift into reverse or low.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts