Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just got this car and am figuring to learn some facts about it. My plans are as follows: 12 volt conversion, engine swap, roof chop, some slight body adjustments, and new gearing. So I figure the first thing I'm doin is the 12 volt conversion cause my only workspace is a tempo in the middle of winter. Anybody who has worked on one of these regents care to help a fella out? I basically know next to nothing about this car so every little bit helps. ie:Engine swap capabilities (can I mount any year chrylser into this regent?) I know all the Chryslers/Dodges through the 50's had the same 25" block but am wondering the one with the most power, or if I can easily mount in one of the V8's that were offered in this line. Also any sort of checklist for a 12 volt conversion would be real helpful, cause I'm not too sure what parts go with this engine easy. Must be a pain havin a new fella like me come into the forums huh? hahaha. I'm real good with body work so I am more than happy to share any knowledge needed with any and everybody.

Hope you're all havin a Merry Christmas!

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
I helped install a Volare front frame section, 8 3/4 axle and used current-generation Hemi and trans into a '49 Dodge coupe. This combo makes a really nice driver. Fitting the Hemi into your original frame may be tight, but thr Volare torsion suspension and steering gear make it worthwhile.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
13,926 Posts
tazdevil said:
I helped install a Volare front frame section, 8 3/4 axle and used current-generation Hemi and trans into a '49 Dodge coupe. This combo makes a really nice driver. Fitting the Hemi into your original frame may be tight, but thr Volare torsion suspension and steering gear make it worthwhile.
That info would apply to pretty much any 1949-52 Mopar car. :)

Too; 5.7L Hemis are quite common now factoring in pickups and emissions regs are a non issue since the recipient vehicles are smog exempt almost anywhere in the world. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,074 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and yes, sounds like you have a good plan. Get a simple wiring diagram from a vehicle like a Dart or Duster, Charger, Road Runner around 1972, they are available on the net for download, use it as a blueprint to rewire everything and figure all the components are going to be 12 volt vice 6 volt, Mopar electonic ignition is a pretty simple and reliable system, can be easily added to any LA engine with a distributor (LA and Magnum enigne that is), small block or large block, but you are most likely talking small block, so works well and fits well, there are many examples out there from others that have done it, including several magazine builds to use as a guideline.

Keep the questions coming, we can help.

Merry Christmas to you, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks to you all!

My budget is real tight for now on this project, but I will certainly put all god tips to good use once I can afford it.


dana44 said:
Welcome to the forum, and yes, sounds like you have a good plan. Get a simple wiring diagram from a vehicle like a Dart or Duster, Charger, Road Runner around 1972, they are available on the net for download, use it as a blueprint to rewire everything and figure all the components are going to be 12 volt vice 6 volt, Mopar electonic ignition is a pretty simple and reliable system, can be easily added to any LA engine with a distributor (LA and Magnum enigne that is), small block or large block, but you are most likely talking small block, so works well and fits well, there are many examples out there from others that have done it, including several magazine builds to use as a guideline.

Keep the questions coming, we can help.

Merry Christmas to you, too.
The car curently has the original wiring (in great condition still) would I still need to re wire eventhough the 6 volt wiring is rated for more amperage than the 12 would be?

Thanks for the tips, it really helps a lot.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,074 Posts
I imagine you can find an original wiring diagram and do the same thing, the recommendation of having the newer wiring diagram is both safety and protection, the old cloth shield wires along with 60 years of wires becoming hardened, brittle, and more than likely corroded without any evidence of it from the outside is just something to consider. Going with an LA or Magnum engine will require additiional wiring that wouldn't match later on, but for now it would be up to you. If it is in that good a condition it may be something that could be sold for a restoration project to someone else, which definitely doesn't sound like anything on your agenda. You can also get the old style cloth shield wiring from a few places out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dana44 said:
I imagine you can find an original wiring diagram and do the same thing, the recommendation of having the newer wiring diagram is both safety and protection, the old cloth shield wires along with 60 years of wires becoming hardened, brittle, and more than likely corroded without any evidence of it from the outside is just something to consider. Going with an LA or Magnum engine will require additiional wiring that wouldn't match later on, but for now it would be up to you. If it is in that good a condition it may be something that could be sold for a restoration project to someone else, which definitely doesn't sound like anything on your agenda. You can also get the old style cloth shield wiring from a few places out there.
Thank ya sir! I will look around for some diagrams.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top